New Wheels.....

Thread: New Wheels.....

Retired Staff

Default New Wheels.....

TGIMUNDAY and I started to derail another thread with this discussion so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I just got a set of Decomposed Keith Renna Freestyle wheels off eBay for about 20 bucks. Offset bearings and dual durometer. I combined that with a set of Oust Moc 5 Street bearings. I took them out for a street cruise/soul ride in SF yesterday to see how the combo felt and give them a decent break in. If you've ever been to downtown SF you know all of the sidewalks are cobblestone to me this is the best surface to break bearings in on. The bearings themselves seemed faster that the Spitfires that I was riding before the wheels themselves seemed to ride like the 101A Powell Mullen wheels I was riding before in terms of rolling but the 98A riding surface seemed to absorb a lot of the shock so the board didn't feel like it was vibrating as much. Plus street debris that would have stopped me in my tracks on my other wheels didn't on these. I haven't tried any tricks on them yet. I'm going to go to the local playground in a little bit and try some tricks with them and keep you posted.

C/S,
    Rev J

Your Mother

Offset wheels have made freestyle so much easier for me. With my old wheels I used to fall over every time I tried to rail stand. Now I'm pretty stable and getting better at them. Good luck with the new wheels, I'm sure they will make a big difference.

Retired Staff

Yeah, thanks. I didn't even attempt rail stands until I got the new wheels. I made a few attempts at the push down on the toes and jump approach and the Half Casper approach didn't get them just right at first but I got close. Old School Kickflips and going into Caspers felt better now if I could only get out of them.

C/S,
    Rev J

Your Mother

I find heel side rail stands SOO much easier than toe side. I think it's the fact that you have to jump backwards a little and you can't see what you're doing with toe side that scares me and I don't push down hard enough because I chicken out.

Retired Staff

I've found the opposite with me. I have a tendency to push down harder and the board flips all the way over. Doing them toe side I can get the right amount of flip but only land my back foot. Granted I only spent a little bit of time working on them yesterday.

C/S,
    Rev J

Have a look at Skateboard wheels buyer guide by Evolve Electric Skateboards- Skateboards Wheels Buyer Guide