Baseplate holes stretching out from truckstands?

Thread: Baseplate holes stretching out from truckstands?

Rusty_Berrings

Default Baseplate holes stretching out from truckstands?

Is this normal or are my trucks wack (destructo 7.5's)?

Global Moderator

Destructo still exists?

but that happens to me after I've had trucks for a long time (from street skating, not freestyle), I think it's just normal wear and tear. but just to be safe I'd switch to Independents haha

Oh.My.GLOB

another thing to consider is that you don't ride your setup with well tightened/maintained hardware. It's a bit late now since the holes have warped but for future trucks try and keep an eye on how well they are fastened as riding around can loosen them and also degradation of the ply around the truck holes can also make a difference.
    "Hail Caesarean"

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    another thing to consider is that you don't ride your setup with well tightened/maintained hardware. It's a bit late now since the holes have warped but for future trucks try and keep an eye on how well they are fastened as riding around can loosen them and also degradation of the ply around the truck holes can also make a difference.
    True for sure, but tighten them too much and they can sink (counter sink) in to your deck or cause stress cracks along the bolt pattern. Damned if you do, damned if you don't get it "just right".

Rusty_Berrings

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    True for sure, but tighten them too much and they can sink (counter sink) in to your deck or cause stress cracks along the bolt pattern. Damned if you do, damned if you don't get it "just right".
    I'm definitely more on the over tightening side than the under tightening side. I also wasn't using risers/shock pads also so that might help in the future, and thankfully I found out that Destructo is lifetime guaranteed so I'll be alright with em. Don't think pogos fall under the category of "misuse" by their definition.

Хой!

I know it's all preference, but I can't believe a 26 year old man would feel comfy riding 7.5" wide destructos. Is it really?

I'd get something like Indy 8.5"s.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    I know it's all preference, but I can't believe a 26 year old man would feel comfy riding 7.5" wide destructos. Is it really?

That would look funny on a 7.5" deck.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Oh.My.GLOB

People riding really wide boards is just another fad like the big trousers/small wheels thing. there are so many kids skating around on massive 8.5 boards doing horrific mobbed flips because they don't want to be seen riding something smaller.

As some one who likes to to do flips and only has a size 9 foot, I'm happy skating 7.75s.
    "Hail Caesarean"

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    People riding really wide boards is just another fad like the big trousers/small wheels thing. there are so many kids skating around on massive 8.5 boards doing horrific mobbed flips because they don't want to be seen riding something smaller.

As some one who likes to to do flips and only has a size 9 foot, I'm happy skating 7.75s.
    Perhaps sub 8 is best for lots of flippy street tricks. As for 7.5-7.75 being historically the most popular size I'd have to take a look back at the years where vert and pools were more popular versus the times when they werent..
    60s-long skinny decks
    early 70s-26x7 freestyle, a little longer for slalom
    Mid 70s-early 90s, 9"-10" pig decks with spoon noses showing up mid 90s.
    Late 90s-late 2000s the 7.5 reigned supreme
    2010s-sizes are creeping back up to the 8"-9" range

I see about 25 years of sub 8" and about 25 years of greater than 8" being popular. Toss up!

Rusty_Berrings

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post

Oh I don't know. Freestyle and tech tricks I like small boards; 8 and below. I'm new to bigger boards for loading docks and bigger drops though. I got some tracker 8.75's right now that I got on sale but the baseplates are made of plastic so I don't know how long they're going to hold up, and I sure don't want to do truckstands with them (even though I have a few times before I even thought about it). All in all a skateboard is a skateboard. I'll find some way to have fun with it no matter what size, even if it means just handing it down to a younger skater with smaller feet than me.

That being said, I think my fav size for all around skateboarding is 7.75 x 31.5