HELP I want to learn how to skate!

Thread: HELP I want to learn how to skate!

RedFoxGirl

Default HELP I want to learn how to skate!

Hi,

Sorry about been so uneducated but I wanted to learn how to skate and I thought joining a forum would be the best place to get advice. I have no idea how to skate really, I really need as much help as I can get.
    Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread!

I have been researching a little and for my height (around 5'2 or 3) and taking into consideration I don't know how to skate,
    a 8'' x 31-32'' board would be right for me? Is this correct?

Also what type/any good brands for learning how to skate?
    Can anyone also advise anyone/anywhere I can find good tutorials or any advice from you guys, at all, would be sweet.

I'm 18 and I thought well, better late than never.

buy any board & hit the road. thats basically it. for a beginner it really doesn't matter what brand you skate. just go to a shop, stand on a few boards & buy what makes you feel comfy. an 8 is usually a good first board for anyone.

just go to a park & hang out with the guys. you being a girl really is all the help you'll need; any guy will gladly help a skater girl out, seriously
    GG Allin was here...

Speed Junkie

if your park has roundwall learn to carve before you try any tricks, good turns are in them selves tricks that a lot of todays skaters are incapable of doing....and bend your knees
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Yeah get a skateboard and go skate.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

Buy a complete skateboard from a proper skateshop. Ride it everywhere. Have fun! Only start learning tricks once you are comfortable on your board. Watch skate videos on youtube.

Grab a decent board, get on it, and stay on it. Welcome to the forum BTW. Also look through Youtube vids on how to push and start there. Happy skating man

Go and ride. There aint nothing to it. Doesn't matter if your busting 360 flips over 10 stairs or just cruisin down the street. Riding is whats important.
    Goals for this season

[x] 360
    [+] Kickflips
    [+] 5-0's
    [x] Heelflips
    [x] Noseslide

JobDuffy

Any board and any brand will do. I started around 8 months ago, using a borrowed board with a crappy, almost tail-less deck, ugly trucks, bad bearings, only the wheels were decent. After the first 2 months, when i had learned how to Ollie, i bought my own deck and bearings, and MAN did my ollies get much better with my new board! Also started to feel less awkward and more comfortable. So get anything, and just go at it. For starters i recommend learning to push, turning and kickturns, then when you're comfortable with riding around, try ollies. And do not worry if you don't get 'em within the first week, or even the first few months. One of my skating buddies that has been skating for almost the same time as me can't really ollie too well, not to mention ollie up or down stuff, but he still has fun rolling around, Rock 'n Rolling on ramps, etc. Pretty long post, but it was my first on this forum so i wanted it to be worthwhile lol.