Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13/14 Snowboarding Season Discussion

Default 13/14 Snowboarding Season Discussion

It's about that time again!
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

Retired Staff

On le way to the shop.

Grabbed this the other week.

Mount snow pass this season. I am so ready. Look forward to more footage this year. Hopefully a ton of street.

My homie Travis' season edit from last season filmed/edited by me.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Planning a trip in February with a bunch of buddies. We should have a ski in ski out party house slopeside at either Blue Knob PA or Timberline WV.

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

How easy is getting into snowboarding?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker View Post
    It's less expensive than skiing, at least gear wise. Good, waterproof pants are probably the most important thing for a beginner to have. If you can drift/slide a longboard to both sides you're good to go. If not, it may take half a day in the beginner area to get the basics down.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker View Post
    For difficulty? It's pretty easy learning to ride. Getting into doing tricks and stuff, a lot of skateboarders say it's easier than skating because you're strapped in but, everything tends to be a lot bigger and doing tricks and actually having them look good isn't that easy.

It's expensive, cheaper than skiing.. idk, never skied. If you plan on buying equipment;
    Snowboard: $300
    Boots: 100
    Pants: 50-80
    Jacket: 80-100
    Mittens: 30
    Helmet, optional obviously: 50-100

Then add in lift tickets.
    Equipment cost is rough prices for left over new stuff. Buying used always helps.

The sale/ clearance is your best friend. I got most of my gear on sale or used and saved ton a money. And I definitely agree with Brandon, it's pretty easy to learn to ride but it's more of a challenge to be a boss in the park. The whole concept of bailing out on a trick yet the board is still strapped in to you still feels weird for me haha. Pumped to kick it up a notch this season. Think I will be a little more ballsy once I start rocking my helmet in the park.

Gravity Slave Moderator

You can rent boots and a board at the ski hill. Some also rent jackets. pants, and helmets, but those are the places that are full of southern tourists.

Ski shop swap meets and tent sales FTW

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You can rent boots and a board at the ski hill.
    For sure. That's probably the best option for any noob. Funny how you see all these people selling their gear on craigslist saying the stuff was only used a couple times. Most likely due to the fact they bought all this gear and realized snowboarding isn't for them haha.

Retired Staff

Got a few clips today.

Retired Staff

My snowboard finally came in. Mountain opens up at 8am tomorrow 8)

angry, young & beautiful

Nice ^^ looking forward to footy you shoot this season. Funny how the year I can actually afford to get gear I will not have any time to board might hit up a hill a few days with rented/borrowed gear but I will probably have to live vicariously through you guys
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Retired Staff

Buy all your gear.
    Quit doing everything else your doing.
    Free time to snowboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Buy all your gear.
    Quit doing everything else your doing.
    Free time to snowboard!
    Agreed.

Picked these up new for super cheap. Should be better then my current ones. Most likely will sell those. Looking forward to riding these.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

I'm going this season. It absolutely kills my knees just to ride, but I was throwing huge stalefishes mountainboarding this past Summer and I want to see if any of my dirt skill transfers to snow.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    I'm going this season. It absolutely kills my knees just to ride, but I was throwing huge stalefishes mountainboarding this past Summer and I want to see if any of my dirt skill transfers to snow.
    That sucks that it kills your knees dude. You should try to workout your lower body to get some pressure off of them. Maybe it's your stance set up too?

Retired Staff

I haz teh stalefishes good on snow
    Also learned tuck knees at the end of the year and was getting a decent amount of compliments on them.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownRon View Post
    That sucks that it kills your knees dude. You should try to workout your lower body to get some pressure off of them. Maybe it's your stance set up too?
    Nah, it's just me having bad knees. They're the major reason why I scaled back my street skating and got more into longboarding, but then I got into mountainboarding and started throwing myself down or over things. I need to take the footy off my camera of me hitting my rainbow rail and dying, hitting a tree and getting ripped from my shoes (they were still strapped in) and all the dumb little falls I had. Haha

Edit: Mountainboard trail is going to be a snowboard trail come winter. I'm psyched for it. And the trips to Mountain Creek.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Gravity Slave Moderator

So the mountains three hours away opened early this year, like over a week ago. Mrs NoSwitch is taking the kids and driving to pick up her father for the holidays tomorrow. I was thinking that would be a good time to sneak off to the mountain for a couple hours of skiing. I went online to check conditions and ....

Not paying $70 for gas and driving 6 hours round trip to do that :-( ALAS, cold weather is arriving tonight. They should be able to blow plenty of new snow this week. Guess Thanksgiving Saturday will be my first tracks this season.

Gravity Slave Moderator

OK much better today.

Headed up at 6:45am and arrived at Sugar Mountain just after 10am. Caught some pretty cool inversion sky as we headed from the foothills of Wilksboro in to Boone. Arrived to beautiful bluebird conditions, a few snow guns still blazing, still room in the upper parking lots. Met up with a friend from Charlotte for a few runs here and there. Most of the terrain was open. Big Red, Sugar Slalom, Tom, Boulder, and Whoop were closed though. Temps high 20s to low 30s, no slush or corn. There were NO lines anywhere before 2 pm. My kid and I skied every open run. Had a blast, but are worn out now. All in all GREAT first day on the snow

Mile High All Smiles Today!