may have to quit.... hateing it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: may have to quit.... hateing it.

Default may have to quit.... hateing it.

41 this year. Haven't posted in a while. Started in 1980 till about 96-97, then picked it back up a few years ago. Been hurt more this year then all combined. Broke ankle, broke wrist, now trashed ankle again. Just can't seem to go out and not try stuff. Going to miss it, but with the family to take care off, I can't miss work any more. Sucks cause I feel like I am better than ever now being able to mix old school and new school tricks.

Retired Staff

That sucks man! I just started again after a 20 year break in February. In September I got 2 plates and 5 screws put in my wrist and can't wait to get back to it. Maybe you don't need to quit. Just change the way you skate.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Sitting in er now.. only broke ankle once in the 90's. If this is a break, will be 3rd this year. Just learned switch laser off ledge. Didn't do anything, but ankle started hurting. Now it is huge and bruised all over ankle and foot. Didn't turn it or fall on it, just randomly started swelling. Hurts like hell.

Retired Staff

Once you can start skating again work on manuals. Especially with your weak ankle. To keep your balance on two wheels you will be constantly moving your ankle in all 4 directions subtly. Then either learn them fakie, or switch off the nose as the momentum will make you adjust your weight differently. Once you get those down learn healies and hang ten manuals those will build up the muscles in your shins, and calves. Once you have those down work on one footed manuals on either end of the board. Also learn to skate switch as you use different muscles in your pushing foot and your stability foot.

Once you get all of that down watch some Kilian Martin and Kevin Harris videos and see how many of their footwork tricks you can pick up both in your native stance and switch. All of this will help build up strength in your legs and ankles.

Btw I'm planning on going back to school for physical therapy to help skaters overcome injury and hope to use skating as a tool for rehabilitation.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

I can manual all day in any stance as well as having a pretty big bag of tricks. Can't afford to miss work any more. Burnt all my sick leave and vacation. Can't work in cast on my job. My wife thinks skating is taking away from the family now.

Retired Staff

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess the only thing I can tell you is go smaller. Granted I fractured my shit doing a primo stand on a set up that wasn't right.

C/S,
    Rev J

Doesn't mean you have to fully quite skateboarding. If you're worried about injuries just use your board to go cruising on. I don't think I'd ever be able to just quite skateboarding cold turkey.
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

Not being a dick at all. Getting another cast today, this sucks. Pressure fracture in foot.

Gravity Slave Moderator

I'll be fifty this June. I don't do anything where my feet leave the deck anymore. First of all, my internal gyroscope doesn't work nearly as well as it used to. Second, it hurts a lot more to butt plant. Third of all, my "how to fall without trying to break my fall with hands" instincts are also totally gone. I still have a lot of fun cruising around, rolling manual, spinning around, and pumping kids turns in half pipes and quarter pipes. I'll drop off one or two stairs pretty solidly, but not higher cause I know my feet will hurt if I do. I'll still work up to vert and 2 or 3 wheels out but don't drop in anymore. Might do an easy hippie jump here and there, but other than that my feet stay glued to the deck.

I see a few other folks my age and older that still totally shred but know my limits. Rolling around not impressing anyone is way more fun than getting hurt trying to prove to others I am or was a ripper. But then I was never very good even when I skated a lot so I'm not missing out on as much dialing it back.

Global Moderator

You should at least cruise bowls and stuff... There's that huge flow bowl at the new Bayside Park off Newtown Rd or the little wooden bowl at Trashmore. They are much less strain on your body and can be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I'll be fifty this June. I don't do anything where my feet leave the deck anymore. First of all, my internal gyroscope doesn't work nearly as well as it used to. Second, it hurts a lot more to butt plant. Third of all, my "how to fall without trying to break my fall with hands" instincts are also totally gone. I still have a lot of fun cruising around, rolling manual, spinning around, and pumping kids turns in half pipes and quarter pipes. I'll drop off one or two stairs pretty solidly, but not higher cause I know my feet will hurt if I do. I'll still work up to vert and 2 or 3 wheels out but don't drop in anymore. Might do an easy hippie jump here and there, but other than that my feet stay glued to the deck.

I see a few other folks my age and older that still totally shred but know my limits. Rolling around not impressing anyone is way more fun than getting hurt trying to prove to others I am or was a ripper. But then I was never very good even when I skated a lot so I'm not missing out on as much dialing it back.
    Why not drop in?
    --

This is the title track from our first album, Victim in Pain, the song's also called Victim in Pain.

"ALWAYS SKATE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! ...please"
    Andy Roy

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGoalie View Post
    Why not drop in?
    I don't have good fore aft balance awareness anymore. Stomping the front bolts sometimes sends me over the nose and not stomping sometimes lands me on my ass. It's like I never knew how to do it now. When you age your internal gyroscope gets weaker and weaker. Since I don't skate regularly I've lost the awareness I used to have. Same thing applies for the knowing how to fall instincts. I can't help but put my arms out when I fall again. Not using proper fall technique and having lost facilities that prevented a lot of falls is a bad combination so it is best to not do higher risk things. Add to that the OP rationale that an injury puts me out of work with a mortgage to pay.

There are reasons that you see very few people over 50 at the park dropping in. The only ones you see there doing it are ones that have enough bandwidth to be doing it pretty regularly. It is a "use it or lose it" thing. And, the older you get the quicker it is lost and more difficult it is to get back if you can ever get it back.

Retired Staff

What No Switch is saying is a big part of the reason I'm focusing on freestyle/flatland skating for a while. I've always had balance and coordination issues. For me skating is a form of OT to overcome or at least develop beyond these issues. I've got hardware because I forgot to just fall on my ass.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I'm pretty sure if I had devoted more time to skating and park my skills and physical tools would be sharper. It's been 5 years since the last time I actually tried to drop in and probably 10 since I felt really comfortable doing it. Same goes for dropping bigger drops. However, feet and arches fall apart with age even if you do try to stay active on them. Bones and ligaments don't last forever. Getting old sucks, but you can still do most low impact activities as long as you keep it fresh.

As for the knees, feet, and ankles though, there isn't a lot you can do to cheat father time outside of nutrition (fish oil, glucosamine, etc) and daily exercise. Even with all that dropping huge drops is going to injure you more the older you get.

Retired Staff

I've heard/read that skating big gaps, ledges, etc. has the same impact on your body as an automobile collision spread out over the amount of time you are doing it. Just the repeated impacts of the landings etc. I've noticed the skaters who do that type of skating don't usually do it for too long. Even the young guys. Gonz quit doing it. Natas has a plate and 7 screws in his ankle. Frankie Hill tore his ACL. The list goes on. But then there are guys like Cardiel who overcame a spinal chord injury and Danny Way who broke his neck, came back and jumped the Great Wall of China. Then there are guys like Kevin Harris and Russ Howell who are still skating in their 50s and 60s respectively. So there's still hope.

C/S,
    Rev J

Good news, only a stress fracture. Only in a walking boot. Guessing six weeks in boot, then try and get the strength and flexibility back. At least I can work in the boot in a couple weeks.

Retired Staff

Right on! I'm looking at about that in physical therapy for my wrist. Good luck!

C/S,
    Rev J

Cafe Fuzz

I've taken 2013 off for personal reasons from Skating. Anxiety was part of it. IDK, weird. But 2014 I will revisit the board and start up the engines. Good to read that your stress fracture though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

I'm 33 and feeling your pain. 22 years of street skating has straight fucked up my body. Since I broke my collarbone a year and a half ago I've slowed down quite a bit. I get up every morning and I hurt in a different place. My right shoulder is pretty fucked up because my rotator cuff is destroyed and I have a plate and 13 screws in my collarbone, my right hip is kind of fucked up, I limp like Cardiel some mornings. I've got a piece of cartilage or something floating around in my right knee, my right ankle locks up for some reason I still cant figure out..my legs definitely aren't as good as they were when I was 18 and their only getting worse..I get headaches bad sometimes and I'm thinking it might have to do with my 4-5 concussions....it's hell getting old. You're 41 and still skating that should be enough. You're already ahead of a lot of folks. I can't skate like I used to. I'm too damn old to be throwing myself down stairs or ragdolling over a gap. I'm too damn old to slam over and over and over again. So I just have fun with it. Doing slappys on curbs, bombing hills, and finding weird things to skate is a lot of fun...
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I don't have good fore aft balance awareness anymore. Stomping the front bolts sometimes sends me over the nose and not stomping sometimes lands me on my ass. It's like I never knew how to do it now. When you age your internal gyroscope gets weaker and weaker. Since I don't skate regularly I've lost the awareness I used to have. Same thing applies for the knowing how to fall instincts. I can't help but put my arms out when I fall again. Not using proper fall technique and having lost facilities that prevented a lot of falls is a bad combination so it is best to not do higher risk things. Add to that the OP rationale that an injury puts me out of work with a mortgage to pay.

There are reasons that you see very few people over 50 at the park dropping in. The only ones you see there doing it are ones that have enough bandwidth to be doing it pretty regularly. It is a "use it or lose it" thing. And, the older you get the quicker it is lost and more difficult it is to get back if you can ever get it back.
    Yeah i totally get that. I'm not trying to be a dick, but i think if you had kneeslides down, it would be a different story. Having said that, to me kneeslides are still not an instant reflex, and i sure as hell wouln't want to risk getting hurt too much for example trying a new trick at 50.
    I will be 30 next year and i have a lot of health issues. This knee injury is still an ongoing thing and i an considering getting an mri 3 months after the fact...
    --

This is the title track from our first album, Victim in Pain, the song's also called Victim in Pain.

"ALWAYS SKATE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! ...please"
    Andy Roy