may have to quit.... hateing it. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: may have to quit.... hateing it.

Gravity Slave Moderator

I can do kneeslides bailing out of a kick turn. It's the drop in faceplant or feet over the head shooters that I can't manage anymore. I wear pads too. Just not worth the risk since I no longer have the muscle memory to drop or fall correctly. Losing a wrist or arm for an extended period would be devastating to my source of income.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I can do kneeslides bailing out of a kick turn. It's the drop in faceplant or feet over the head shooters that I can't manage anymore. I wear pads too. Just not worth the risk since I no longer have the muscle memory to drop or fall correctly. Losing a wrist or arm for an extended period would be devastating to my source of income.
    I see. I wear double wristguards and elbow pads too, pretty sure it saved me from breaking them several times. Same reason, i need to go to work the next day
    --

This is the title track from our first album, Victim in Pain, the song's also called Victim in Pain.

"ALWAYS SKATE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! ...please"
    Andy Roy

Retired Staff

In my case wrist guards wouldn't have helped. The design is so if you fall forward the hard plastic hits first and slides. I fell backwards and bent my wrist back on impact.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Yikes.
    --

This is the title track from our first album, Victim in Pain, the song's also called Victim in Pain.

"ALWAYS SKATE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! ...please"
    Andy Roy

Retired Staff

Yeah I fucked my shit up pretty hard.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Хой!

you should smoke more weed, man

Retired Staff

Scary part is I was sober when it happened. Weed probably slowed my reaction time to where I just landed on my ass. I don't skate drunk or stoned by the way. Or recommend it for that matter.

C/S,
    Rev J

Oh, THAT guy...

Mostly I've been skating flat, curbs, manny pads, small ledges, and small ramps (4-5 feet). Gave up stairs, big gaps and rails a loooong time ago. This seems to be keeping me healthy.

Speed Junkie

Yup growing old Sucks....big reason I started longboarding was to broaden my skating experience and get back on the street.
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I've heard/read that skating big gaps, ledges, etc. has the same impact on your body as an automobile collision spread out over the amount of time you are doing it. Just the repeated impacts of the landings etc. I've noticed the skaters who do that type of skating don't usually do it for too long. Even the young guys. Gonz quit doing it. Natas has a plate and 7 screws in his ankle. Frankie Hill tore his ACL. The list goes on. But then there are guys like Cardiel who overcame a spinal chord injury and Danny Way who broke his neck, came back and jumped the Great Wall of China. Then there are guys like Kevin Harris and Russ Howell who are still skating in their 50s and 60s respectively. So there's still hope.
    ...But Cards is and was totally stoned out of his gourd. Homeboy can't even form coherent sentences anymore.

Skate a little more conservative and you'll last. Getta be able to skate with the kids!
    http://www.boardtrader.com

I just ride the concrete waves, glide, and carve. I'll be 69 in September. I started skateboarding when I was in my 50's. The guys on the Bulldog Skates forum helped me set up my old school decks and gave me some pointers. The kids are the real hero's....they do stuff that's impossible. The men in my neighborhood are intimidated by me, but their wives always wave at me.....LOL!!!! Ya....I've had some concussions and torn ligaments and I have a lot more scars on me than the kids do cause they're so dang good, but I'm better than I ever thought I would be. I still fall a couple of times in every five sessions, but that's part of the sport. A while back when I did a double roll forward and came up with a bloody elbow I overheard an eleven year old kid say under his breath to his buddy...."that fall would have killed my dad." That was enough encouragement for another few years. The guys on the Bulldog forum said I was a grom at age 56.
    photo.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Believe in you, Peter Pan

Freakin' impressive to be shredding around at 68... and especially the fact that you only started in your 50's. I've always tried to get my 50 year old pops to try and learn on a fat old school deck but he's not into it. Lookin pretty good for 68 though dude keep at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bencker
    When i read his nickname i always picture a mexican with a big hat holding a waffle ^^

^^^^^^ DO IT NOW. Its better than Element

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    ...But Cards is and was totally stoned out of his gourd. Homeboy can't even form coherent sentences anymore.
    You mean he's turned into a stereotypical skater?

C/S,
    Rev J