Nose guards?

Thread: Nose guards?

Default Nose guards?

Dear Freestylers,
    Happy New Year!
    I'm setting up a new deck for the first time in a long time and have my skid plates, but wondered if any of you are using nose guards or not. It seems that pogos and other moves that put weight on the nose and tail could cause damage and I used to use one of these in the eighties, so I wondered if any of you use them. If not, why not? I'm planning on using my board as an all-around board and know that if I end up bailing down a long hill and the board ends up against a high curb somewhere, the nose or tail may also take a beating, so I'm looking into one of these, but I thought I'd ask about them since I never see any of them in freestyle videos (or any videos of the last 25 years, for that matter).
    Thanks to anyone (if there be anyone) in advance for your kindness in answering this question.
    Best wishes,
    Sincerely,
    Grandpa

Gravity Slave Moderator

I added a jaw bone under the nose of my freestyle set up mostly to have a ridge to grab and hold on to.. I no longer have the chops to really use it the way intended, but it seems to work for my needs.

Dear NoSwitch,
    Greetings and thanks for the reply!
    I suppose those 'rib bones' grab rails would be excellent for flatland airwalks and numerous other tricks. Do they make Casper moves easier?
    I am planning on putting skids on both nose and tail, as well as nose guards on both and rails, both for the reason of making Primo stands easier as well as protecting the graphics under the board whenever I do a railslide on a concrete parking bumper (not a cool or impressive move, but I still find it fun and they are everywhere on my routes about). I am aware that contemporary skaters apparently scoff at such protective measures, but I am basically resigned to a life of poverty and plan to keep my deck as long as possible in order to avoid having to spend another $40-60 on another one anytime soon. I may have spent around $20 for all of this unattractive plastic hardware, but it should hopefully outlive the board and be able to protect the next board. I mainly thought that those with the skills to do pogos and other moves that require putting all one's weight on the nose and hopping on it would risk damage to the board pretty quickly, so I wondered if anyone else used nose guards and, if not, why not.
    So, what are your thoughts on the use of the actual protective guards that wrap around the nose?
    Thanks again for writing. If you are anywhere in which this current storm is raging (do you mean Chicago by "The Bull City?), best wishes for staying warm.
    Sincerely,
    Grandpa

Gravity Slave Moderator

Most folks prefer wood over plastic for stands. Wood grips better and is more stable. As for wear and tear, the flexing that boards take today weakens them over time and they lose their "pop" so decks get replaced more often than they used to. I suspect that is why nose guards aren't popular anymore.

Retired Staff

Actually with the shape of a modern board you'd probably be better off getting 2 skidplates and treating each end as a tail. A lot of skaters today don't use the shape of the board as originally intended. If you look back at:

482748ffb0be3129bf599a99577ccaac.jpg

or

m3UghCc_101BNGAvf2ruMQw.jpg

The reasoning was threefold. One was that some skaters like long tails. One was that some tricks are easier with a shorter tail. And the third was to take directionality out of the equation i.e. make the board feel almost the same riding in either direction. If you try certain tricks on a modern board you'll notice they will be easier or harder depending on which end you use as a tail. Sorry if I got off topic.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Thanks for the replies, NoSwitch and Rev. J. I haven't been in pogo stance on a board in literally decades, and I had all that hardware before, so I suppose I've never tried it on the bare wood to feel the difference. Some of this is probably psychological baggage of mine. I recall the twin worries of my parents' unwillingness to pitch in on new decks if they thought I wasn't taking as much care as possible to preserve the board and then my scant lawn mowing money pittance being all I had to purchase a new deck if I was left without their help. A friend of mine's deck shattered once after leaping off at a usually unoccupied intersection at the foot of a really long hill and watching it hit a curb at top speed. Kids in the eighties used to put all kinds of crazy plastic add-ons on their boards, some of which I even thought silly like those lappers that were supposed to cover your kingpin. I never had copers to cover the trucks, either, though I saw some on Primo's deck in an old video on YouTube recently and I think I've seen old footage of Tony Hawk riding a pool with copers. I think people wanted alot of that stuff for the dayglo colors it added to the board back when people were wild about such garishness. I remember glow in the dark rails being the cool thing at one point. It does seem rather strange to me to see young kids buy a new deck mainly for the graphics on the bottom and then wear those graphics down to a scuffy smear in a few hours doing boardslides.
    I actually am planning on doing what you suggested, Rev J, and plan to make the attempt to lose my 'footedness' by splitting my time riding each stance even though I'm naturally regular. I've actually never skated a double kick until now, excepting the odd jump on a young family member's board at family gatherings. I remember getting started in the late seventies when board shapes, sizes and materials were all over the map. I had a plastic deck, a wood one and a fiberglass one and a friend's older brother had an anodized aluminum one, which we all thought was the coolest because it was wide, shiny, had a big tail (my first wooden one had no tail) and was...well...metal! These were all mostly acquired at garage sales and even when I got my first legit deck, there was no skate shop, and the only place to get Sims, Powell, G&S or decks like that was a bicycle shop in a corner by the BMX stuff. I dabbled in BMX but could not afford the cost of parts whenever they broke (I probably still can't). Anyway, off topic, I ended up purchasing a set of seismic 55/97 inset bearing wheels because some shop had them pretty deeply reduced for a New Year's sale. I saw Kilian skating them in a video before that search, and I'm sure that had some effect on my final choice between the various freestyle wheels available. Anyone out there riding those wheels?

Retired Staff

It's weird I think I had more hardware on my board then than I have in my wrists now. Just for a comparison here are my last 4 decks:

http://www.skatenoize.com/wp-content...013/09/pri.jpg

http://www.outofstep.net/oos/wp-cont...EV-595x793.jpg

http://almost.fashionstylist.com/ls/...ck-black-6.jpg

http://www.motorhelmets.com/media/pr...lf-2-white.jpg

You're first set up will always be the most expensive since you are buying everything. After that you're just replacing what wears out. I collected bottles and cans, did odd jobs, had an allowance and brought peanut butter sandwitches for lunch to get my first board.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Creature just came out with 4 inch long glow in the dark rails.
    --

This is the title track from our first album, Victim in Pain, the song's also called Victim in Pain.

"ALWAYS SKATE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! ...please"
    Andy Roy

Oh and Navarette's new company, Skeleton key makes copers. I might get a par so i don't have to wax shit.

Lappers were originally created so you don't hang up on vert weren't they?
    --

This is the title track from our first album, Victim in Pain, the song's also called Victim in Pain.

"ALWAYS SKATE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! ...please"
    Andy Roy

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGoalie View Post
    Lappers were originally created so you don't hang up on vert weren't they?
    And to take all the "fun" out if disasters..

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I spoke with a friend recently who reminded me that some of that glow-in-the-dark stuff people used to use on boards was cut from the plastic corner bumper guards on the old chrome steel shopping carts. There is an Asian grocery store around here that still has some of those old carts and I just happened to go there right after that conversation. I don't plan to take any...I like the people who own that store too much, but it brought back some forgotten buried memories.

i simply use 2 skidplates, tail and nose. Nothing more.

If you plan to keep your deck for a long time, would be smart try out the trick of Primo Desiderio : cut out piece of bicycle tire and cover the tail and nose. There was a video on youtube, but its already taken off.

I wouldnt transform your deck in a sextoy , with too much plastic here and there. Too weighty decks feel uncomfortable for stationery freestyle tricks.