Do you make fun of younger kids?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you make fun of younger kids?

Default Do you make fun of younger kids?

We went to the skate park today, and Parker fell pretty hard and skinned his elbow (not sure how, since he had pads on lol) and hurt his thumb. He skated for a few more minutes, and then wanted to come home because his thumb was hurting pretty bad. Well, as he was walking away from the park, this one kid (looked to be 20 something) said, "Dude, he can't even skate!!" really loud, referring to Parker so that he could hear him.

Not sure why, but it irritated me. He's just a kid, and how do they know how long he's even been skating?? And as I was watching, it's not like he was bad or anything. He was going down ramps, doing 180s on ramps and just generally skating around. He only fell once. I didn't think he did anything "bad."

Just thought it was rude of a kid that old to make fun of a 9 yr old.......

Excuse my language, but that guy that said that is a straight up dickhead! I'm pretty sure he fell a lot when he started out, too. So I don't understand why someone would be that shallow. Probably trying to sound cool in front of his buddies I suppose. Try not to let it get to you that much. He's probably an asshole when he's not skating, too. Usually If a kid wipes out pretty bad, I'll ask him if he's alright. Never have I witnessed someone make fun of a kid for falling when I'm at skateparks. For the most part every ones supportive of each other.
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownRon View Post
    Excuse my language, but that guy that said that is a straight up dickhead! I'm pretty sure he fell a lot when he started out, too. So I don't understand why someone would be that shallow. Probably trying to sound cool in front of his buddies I suppose. Try not to let it get to you that much. He's probably an asshole when he's not skating, too. Usually If a kid wipes out pretty bad, I'll ask him if he's alright. Never have I witnessed someone make fun of a kid for falling when I'm at skateparks. For the most part every ones supportive of each other.
    Oh, I have to add that he DID ask Parker if he was ok when he first fell, and seemed nice to him. But I just thought the comment that he made as we were leaving was rude. And Karma got him, because he fell right after he said that. LOL

Gravity Slave Moderator

Takes a real big man to boost yourself up by dissing an elementary school kid to make yourself feel better.

Scrubs Nerd

I only mock the little kids that piss off everyone else so they learn they can learn to live at the skatepark. Well actually age isn't relevant, if you act like you're hot shit at the park I'm gonna tell you off.

Global Moderator

^That

I only yell at little kids who don't understand the concept of getting out of people's way/kids that snake runs from other people. I will mock all little kids under my breath, because i generally dislike children as a whole, but i only ever say anything for them to hear if they're snaking people or just getting in everyone's way in general.

Oh, and kids that push mongo. but age isn't relevant for that.

Retired Staff

Yeah that's pretty bullshit. I don't go to skateparks. I skate mostly freestyle so I really have no need to go there. But there is a playground/basketball court that I go to to skate and occasionally see kids there learning and I try to give them what pointers I can. I've been off the board for about 20 years so I'm pretty much on their skill level. Plus I've been forced to take about a 6 month break after only skating again for 6 months.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by kk360 View Post
    I only mock the little kids that piss off everyone else so they learn they can learn to live at the skatepark. Well actually age isn't relevant, if you act like you're hot shit at the park I'm gonna tell you off.
    Yeah, I get that. But I've watched him, and he knows skate park etiquette, so I know he wasn't in their way or anything. He knows to watch, and wait his turn, not get in the way, etc.

And he's never pushed Mongo! lol

Oops, meant to quote shorty's kid.........

яussian

Stupid thing to do if he was really talking about your son, maybe he was talking about someone else mid discussion? Just doesn't seem like something a 20 year old skater would say about a young skater who can clearly skate. Especially if he helped him out earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Stupid thing to do if he was really talking about your son, maybe he was talking about someone else mid discussion? Just doesn't seem like something a 20 year old skater would say about a young skater who can clearly skate. Especially if he helped him out earlier.
    Yeah, I was kind of wondering that. That's what I told Parker, to make him feel better.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Ya, perhaps he was actually talking about some Zumiez Mall Grabbing Poser that wasn't even there and it just seemed like he was looking at Parker when he said it....

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

When I started skating I sat down on a ledge at the skatepark and this jerk purposely tried grinding the ledge while I was still sitting there and then used that situation as an excuse to mock me at the skatepark because I apparently got in his way.

Now I don't let anyone say anything to me. There was this asshole at the indoor skatepark that hated me because I played skate with him once and my tricks were "too sketchy". He hit me a few times, even threw me off of my board when I was learning heelflips. He eventually got banned.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker View Post
    When I started skating I sat down on a ledge at the skatepark and this jerk purposely tried grinding the ledge while I was still sitting there and then used that situation as an excuse to mock me at the skatepark because I apparently got in his way.
    Well if you frequent a park it does get pretty annoying when someone sits on an obstacle all the time. Especially when there is a bench or when you see someone is skating it... I've done what you said a couple times but only if I'm 100% confident I won't get anywhere near hitting the kid and the kid has been in the way multiple times that day and the couple times I've done it I've turned back and smiled at the kid and then went and talked to him so he understands. It's a good way to get your point across if it's done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_larsen View Post
    Well if you frequent a park it does get pretty annoying when someone sits on an obstacle all the time. Especially when there is a bench or when you see someone is skating it... I've done what you said a couple times but only if I'm 100% confident I won't get anywhere near hitting the kid and the kid has been in the way multiple times that day and the couple times I've done it I've turned back and smiled at the kid and then went and talked to him so he understands. It's a good way to get your point across if it's done correctly.
    Yeah, I sit on the ledges, but only if Parker and I are the only ones there. Last week I was sitting on one, and a skater showed up. I said, "Sorry, I'll move....." as he was walking by me and he said, "Naw, you're good. I don't use that one anyway....." He ended up being really nice and helped Parker and talked to us the whole time. lol

During this incident, I was sitting in the grass, because the other skaters were there first, and I didn't want to go sit and be in the way.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

I don't pick on little kids, but if little kids are zooming around the park on scooters snaking everyone I make sure to say things loud and in direction of the parents. It's a dangerous place to just let your kids run around. I'm sure Parker has picked up some skate etiquette, though! He's been at it for a while, hopefully some dickhead doesn't spoil skating for him.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    I don't pick on little kids, but if little kids are zooming around the park on scooters snaking everyone I make sure to say things loud and in direction of the parents. It's a dangerous place to just let your kids run around. I'm sure Parker has picked up some skate etiquette, though! He's been at it for a while, hopefully some dickhead doesn't spoil skating for him.
    Yeah, he's picked it up, and we've also told him some things. It's common sense, really. The other day he and his friend were playing a game of rolling their boards down a ramp. BUT, they were the only ones in the park. But then I saw some people coming, and I told him to start skating again. But, they were also only doing that for about 1% of their time there. The rest they were skating. Drives me nuts when kids do that, or when they ride on their butts, etc. That's not skating! IMO, if you're not going to do it right, then you shouldn't be there.

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

Quote Originally Posted by ben_larsen View Post
    If that asswipe did that to me nowadays it would've ended up in a fight. Nobody in the right mind does such a thing to a little kid. He was literally on top of me with his skateboard on the ledge. I didn't even get a warning.

Also screw all the people who spit everywhere around the park, I just want to say it. Also people that spill drinks and litter. There are 5 to 6 garbage bins in most skateparks I've been to.

Scrubs Nerd

Black Ninja said it best

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

Yes ^ but still, lots of skaters here are plain stupid and start fights with 5 year olds...

Whenever I go to this park there is a 90% chance it'll be flooded with kids. The skatepark is attached to a playground but instead moms let their 2 year old toddlers that just learned how to walk run down hubbas and slide on their butt down ramps.
    Last edited by NightRocker; 03-29-2014 at 01:38 PM.

I have always told Parker that he's at the park to skate, and he's a beginner. I've told him that the older kids have the right of way, and he needs to watch before he goes down a ramp, or skates around. He's very good about watching others, not skating right in somebody's path, etc. I also say that if he's not going to skate, to go sit somewhere, and not goof around in the park. (unless he's the only one there) He doesn't know how to do the quarter pipe, but will still skate on it a little. (will practice 180s or just going back and forth) But if somebody comes to use it the correct way, he moves and goes somewhere else. I basically feel he's the low man on the totem pole, so to speak, and needs to be mindful of that. But, other skaters have respected him for that, and are more willing to help him, and take turns on a ramp, etc, because they can see he's not a little brat, and is serious about skating.