Greatest/Favorite Heavy Metal Band, 70s-80s

View Poll Results: Greatest Heavy Metal Band 70s-80s, maybe 90s too?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Maiden

1 14.29%
  • Judas Priest

1 14.29%
  • Black Sabbath

2 28.57%
  • Metallica

2 28.57%
  • Queensreicht

0 0%
  • Motorhead

0 0%
  • Slayer

0 0%
  • Megadeath

0 0%
  • Pantera

0 0%
  • Tool

0 0%
  • Other-post in thread below for discussion

1 14.29%

Thread: Greatest/Favorite Heavy Metal Band, 70s-80s

Gravity Slave Moderator

Hmm2 Greatest/Favorite Heavy Metal Band, 70s-80s

OK new topic this week. Votes are public, pick your favorite and discuss or post someone you believe was "greater" from the same era.

Oh, THAT guy...

Turbo Lover is all that need be said. Hanging ordinary clothing in front of a speaker playing it is actually how studded leather wear is made.

True story...

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

I don't listen to that much heavy metal but when I do it's either Metallica or Black Sabbath.

Gravity Slave Moderator

I listen to a lot of all of this stuff. Metallica's recorded some pretty damned good shit over the years. But, they really left a bad taste in my mouth with all of the BS over Napster and other online sharing platforms that were really ahead of their time. That said, I've gotta stick with the late 70s early 80s stuff as the "greatest" metal.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Two more days to vote here... Thinking classic rock for next week... Zeppelin, Rush, The Who, Kansas, Def Leppard, Hendrix, etc. Feel free to nominate candidates for best classic rock band of the 1900s..

Earth Punk

I'm going with "Lights, Camera, Revolution" era Suicidal Tendencies. That album really showed them expand beyond the "Skate Punk" sound that defined their earlier work.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I'm going with "Lights, Camera, Revolution" era Suicidal Tendencies. That album really showed them expand beyond the "Skate Punk" sound that defined their earlier work.
    Nice call, I have that one too. You can't bring me down.. A bit too niche for greatest of the 1900s though. Great stuff though. Fits in metal well too. Had they had a couple more really good albums they'd be a strong contender. Also loved them and other stuff in the Repo Man Soundtrack.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Nice call, I have that one too. You can't bring me down.. A bit too niche for greatest of the 1900s though. Great stuff though. Had they had a couple more really good albums they'd be a strong contender. Also loved them and other stuff in the Repo Man Soundtrack.

Faith No More is also along the edge of the genre where Suicidal Tendancies moved towards mid 90s. Loved their cover of War Pigs.

Earth Punk

Faith No More were great. Once I moved to SF I met a dude who was Roddy Boddums Roommate and was there the night they through Courtney Love and all of her shit out of the apartment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1g9PFtSCKw

Interesting fact Chuck Mosley the original singer for FNM also did a stint as singer for Bad Brains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEKKImD0vM

Mr. Bungle was fun too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_3F93hgZw
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I guess my favorite didn't quite make it metal band album has to be Riot's The Privilege of Power.

They had good backing from CBS, even got the real Tower of Power horns playing on this song, my personal favorite from them..

Another one more metally.. Dance of Death..

They're a reincarnation of an older band of the same name always confused with Quiet Riot. I knew folks that were in another band with Rhett Forrester of the original Riot incarnation. He was a certifiably nuts the times I hung out with him. I spent quite a bit of time hanging out with Jack Starr

I suspect what happened to Riot was that their stuff dropped right when grunge started to take off and hair bands were waning so they missed the boat, Kinda like Donna Summer and Disco hahahaha..
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 05-17-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker View Post

I don't listen to that much heavy metal but when I do it's either Metallica or Black Sabbath.
    Fixed!

黒 キリスト

The 70s I don't listen to metal bands from that time period.

The 80s well I hate hair metal but....
    Napalm Death
    Carcass

The 90s
    Cannibal Corpse up to 1994 when Chris Barnes left and they replaced him with a sub-par replacement.
    Therion I sorta like their thrash days more then the way they sound now even though their songs are more epic now
    Sleep Well
    Daisuke
    July 30, 1978 - July 15, 2010

JesusHadHerpes
    March 12, 1989 - September 12, 2008

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Judas Priest? Judas Priest is awesome. I enjoy them..
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.