Paderborn 2015

Thread: Paderborn 2015

Default Paderborn 2015

For any of the freestyle skateboarders who still check out this forum, I just wanted to share the video from this year's Paderborn Freestyle contest with you:

Gunter Mokulys took first place in Pro, followed by Tony Gale and Marco Sassi. Marius Constantin from Romania won amateur, followed by Robert Wagner and Erwin Schuijtvlot. Yoyo Schulz won the Legends division with Bob Loftin, of Bob's Trick Tips fame, taking 2nd place.

Freestyle skateboarding is still alive and well in Europe, hope to see more of you out there next year

Retired Staff

So many names, so few vowels ;-) Just kidding. Good stuff! I think it's kind of funny how Freestyle skating seems to still be popular in places like Brazil, Eastern Europe,and Japan. Places that the US seems to have this idea of being "Backwards".
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    So many names, so few vowels ;-) Just kidding. Good stuff! I think it's kind of funny how Freestyle skating seems to still be popular in places like Brazil, Eastern Europe,and Japan. Places that the US seems to have this idea of being "Backwards".

it's not as big as it seems. Freestyle went back a lot in numbers the past few years. It's not that US seems going backward.
    Sure the event organization is now superb, media coverage much better... but the number of participants and freestylers are getting less and less.

Sure you have great newcomers in Europe such Marius / Turi etc But on the flip side a lot stopped freestylin' ( Look at the UK / Germany scene 5-10 years ago !!! )

I think nowdays they are more capable of "marketing" and promoting freestyle. Great stuff such Broken Finger magazine, Latetricks , the magic of youtube and so on.

Retired Staff

I was making a reference to Americans general arrogant attitude toward the rest of the world. In general it seems like Americans view places like South America, and Eastern Europe as being behind the times.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I was making a reference to Americans general arrogant attitude toward the rest of the world. In general it seems like Americans view places like South America, and Eastern Europe as being behind the times.
    Okay didn't read your post properly

Well even if a country is economically behind the times or other regards... it shouldn't have any impact on the "quality" of the freestylers living there or popularity

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dog4life View Post

Well even if a country is economically behind the times or other regards... it shouldn't have any impact on the "quality" of the freestylers living there or popularity
    If anything, people working fewer hours have more time for skating..

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dog4life View Post

I'm actually a recent convert to freestyle skating at 40. I remember being 13 years old and fast forwarding through Rodney Mullen and Kevin Harris' parts on the old Bones Brigade videos on VHS.

I now see the errors of my ways and attempt it. I appreciate it the same way I do gymnastics or ballet (as a matter of fact I also do the New York City Ballet workout to help develop the balance and coordination for freestyle skating). It seems that in the US freestyle skating died around 92. I'm glad to see cats like you, Witter Cheng, Kevin Harris, Per Canguru, Keith Butterfield, Albert Kuncz, Kilian Martin etc. keeping it going.

The comments I made were more taking the piss out of American attitudes (to borrow a phrase from the Brits) and the fact that in America freestyle skating is deader than Elvis.

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    If anything, people working fewer hours have more time for skating..
    at my company, i need to work 100% , so 8 hours a day.
    That's not that big deal in Summer, with sunlight until 9 pm and good temperatures... i can a have good and motivation skate session after my work.
    But in Winter , i barely can skate once a week and only gym session keep me fit enough.

If i could choose , i would for sure work less, to be able to skate more and enjoy life

Well some countries with economic difficulties... people work even more for very little money.

In Freestyle it's pretty tough keep up the motivation for many years, since most of us are lonely wolves in what they do... I mean i think around 2007 i had frequent session with other swiss freestylers... and were about 4 freestyler gathering saturday afternoon, sessions together , a lot of fun, friendly competition, push each other etc.

Nowdays i mostly skate alone unfortunately. But at least prefer skate in spots where there is "public" and some people around... i feel uncomfortable to skate completely alone in some isolated concrete spot.

Retired Staff

I actually like skating by myself. I find that I can fall into an almost meditative state. Plus I don't feel much "Peer Pressure" to learn the newest and coolest tricks.

C/S,
    Rev J