RollerBones wheels for freestyle
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: RollerBones wheels for freestyle

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Trenton, MI
    Age
    43
    Posts
    20

    Default RollerBones wheels for freestyle

    Happy New Year all!

    Was thinking of getting some new wheels with my next freestyle deck. Bones STF wheels are my favorite urethane, all I use on my street setups. I love the the way they slide and wear. Unfortunately, Bones does not make offset wheels for freestyle. However, they do make rollerskate wheels, "Rollerbones", which are offset. They are slightly larger in diameter, 57mm. In addtion, they still are measured in the "a" duro scale - 98a or 101a for Rollerbones versus 83b for Bones stf. I know Sean Burke from Decomposed and Mode used to ride them.

    Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Do Rollerbones 101a slide and ride like Bones STF 83b? Also seems like the larger wheels may help with 50/50s and pogos.

  2. #2
    Earth Punk

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Long time man!

    I don't have any experience but I know there are a ton of freestyle skaters who used roller skate wheels when freestyle wheels weren't available. I read that Yo Yo Shulz used Italian Roll Line roller skate wheels due to their similarities to the original Bones Freestyle wheels.

    It kind of gets me though that Powell and Peralta will reissue the Mullen and Kevin Harris freestyle boards and whatever other boards from the late 80s/early 90s but won't reissue the wheels. Especially since when street skaters started going for the smaller wheel thing skaters like Ray Barbee were skating the Bones Freestyle wheels on their street set ups.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Dog4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Locarno, Switzerland
    Age
    33
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not2old2sk8 View Post
    Happy New Year all!

    Was thinking of getting some new wheels with my next freestyle deck. Bones STF wheels are my favorite urethane, all I use on my street setups. I love the the way they slide and wear. Unfortunately, Bones does not make offset wheels for freestyle. However, they do make rollerskate wheels, "Rollerbones", which are offset. They are slightly larger in diameter, 57mm. In addtion, they still are measured in the "a" duro scale - 98a or 101a for Rollerbones versus 83b for Bones stf. I know Sean Burke from Decomposed and Mode used to ride them.

    Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Do Rollerbones 101a slide and ride like Bones STF 83b? Also seems like the larger wheels may help with 50/50s and pogos.
    i have 5 ore 6 sets of Bones freestyle sets. they are lovely and awesome for freestyle. but they wear down pretty quick.

    Similar wheels are the new Harris Wheels, still my favs. Really good offset for stable rail tricks

  4. #4
    Earth Punk

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog4life View Post
    i have 5 ore 6 sets of Bones freestyle sets. they are lovely and awesome for freestyle. but they wear down pretty quick.

    Similar wheels are the new Harris Wheels, still my favs. Really good offset for stable rail tricks
    Good to know your opinion on the Harris wheels. I'm putting together my first legit freestyle set up as opposed to the hybrid I was skating before and was considering those.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Trenton, MI
    Age
    43
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Hey Rev j! Life has been crazy busy, sorry haven't had a chance to get back to you sooner.

    Really appreciate the input Mario. I ended up picking up a new Sassi deck and some rollerbones from decomposed. Almost got the Harris wheels, maybe next time.

  6. #6
    Earth Punk

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Yeah man! I got a Witter Cheng deck of eBay for $16 plus shipping. I'm piecemieling out the parts. Next check I'm getting the griptape, coffin screws, Casper grip and skids.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  7. #7
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    We need more posts.

  8. #8
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,526

    Default

    Primo's posting in the "Reissue & More Skateboard" facebook group. Today he posted photos of a Welinder street with new school trucks and asked if it was OG or reissue. Dude sells decks and doesn't know the new school truck pattern difference?? Maybe his account was hacked??

  9. #9
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Primo's posting in the "Reissue & More Skateboard" facebook group. Today he posted photos of a Welinder street with new school trucks and asked if it was OG or reissue. Dude sells decks and doesn't know the new school truck pattern difference?? Maybe his account was hacked??
    Do you have a link? I don't have a Facebook, so don't have the ability to keep track of stuff like that.

    I do know that, in addition to the truck mounting patterns, that the newer reissues have a copyright to Skate One Corp instead of Powell or Powell/Peralta.

  10. #10
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Do you have a link? I don't have a Facebook, so don't have the ability to keep track of stuff like that.

    I do know that, in addition to the truck mounting patterns, that the newer reissues have a copyright to Skate One Corp instead of Powell or Powell/Peralta.
    If you don't have a facebook account you won't be able to open the link.

    Primo Desiderio
    11 hrs

    IS THIS A REISSUE, I AM NOT A PRO AT DISCERNINGTHESE THINGS?

    It was on sale on the market place this morning for $100.00 gone now. Thought it would be a good deal if it was from the 1980s


    Here's my response along with someone else's down the thread after the others gave serious answers to him:

    Chris Rodriguez Reissue for sure. Those wheels are fairly new, most people used way thicker risers back in the 80's.

    Like
    Reply 11h

    Chris Rodriguez
    Chris Rodriguez You knew this already though, you are Primo! Haha
    1

    Like
    Reply 11h

    Charles Gildart
    Charles Gildart I was gonna say those wheels are a little shallow center hub, Not good for Primo.. See what I did there?

  11. #11
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    No, that's weird. Primo has been there since the beginning... he's gonna know how to spot a reissue. Something's weird about that.

  12. #12
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    No, that's weird. Primo has been there since the beginning... he's gonna know how to spot a reissue. Something's weird about that.
    Same Facebook account also posted this recently. His wall is full of totally legit shit only an old school freestyler would be interested in..

    Primo Desiderio
    Yesterday at 12:09 PM

    LAST OF THE PRIMO VISION FACEBOARDS!

    https://www.facebook.com/primo.desid...7110803398970/

  13. #13
    Earth Punk

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Same Facebook account also posted this recently. His wall is full of totally legit shit only an old school freestyler would be interested in..

    My first board was a Primo faceboard with Powell Freestyle wheels.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  14. #14
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,526

    Default

    I'm guessing he was just really high when he looked at the Welinder reissue and posted the question.. We've all moments like that from time to time. I still have brain fart moments and haven't touched the shit on almost 20 years..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •