Riding off Curbs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding off Curbs?

Default Riding off Curbs?

Yeah, this is probably too simple to even post, I know. But this is ridiculously weird for me.

I can ollie over cracks and pop shove, but I can't ride off curbs. It's really weird. Like I know you're supposed to manual and go fast so the tail doesn't catch the curb, and I know it's all in my head, but I've been trying to ride off and I can't after almost a YEAR of skating.

Any suggestions?

Global Moderator

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but you just gotta do the damn thing haha. That is all a mental block dude. For some reason you're scared of it, you gotta figure out what makes you scared of it and/or say fuck being scared and just do it. You gotta like, consciously think while you're doing it to not kick out or bail at all. Like I remember the first time I tried to ollie a ten stair, i had to think about it while i was in the air like "Don't kick your feet/legs whatsoever you pussy" hahahaha. You're bailing because of a subconscious fear, you gotta make a conscious decision to tell your subconscious to piss off.

that's sad tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by cfagit1
    Gettin' sum G-Star shit tomorrow, stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

Gravity Slave Moderator

Ya, I was gonna say why not start with 2 stair drops? Then, dropping the curb will be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollskater View Post
    that's sad tbh
    you're a fucking asshole, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but you just gotta do the damn thing haha. That is all a mental block dude. For some reason you're scared of it, you gotta figure out what makes you scared of it and/or say fuck being scared and just do it. You gotta like, consciously think while you're doing it to not kick out or bail at all. Like I remember the first time I tried to ollie a ten stair, i had to think about it while i was in the air like "Don't kick your feet/legs whatsoever you pussy" hahahaha. You're bailing because of a subconscious fear, you gotta make a conscious decision to tell your subconscious to piss off.
    Thanks dude lol. I know it's a mental block. It gets so weird though. I'll try again tm

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Ya, I was gonna say why not start with 2 stair drops? Then, dropping the curb will be easy.
    I'm probably going to ollie a curb before so I'll be more comfortable. lol this sounds so stupid I'm not Nollie 720 Lazerflipping El Toro I'm riding off a curb haha.

Freaks me the fuck out though
    Last edited by Shorty's_Kid; 02-04-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Merging responses into one post.

Global Moderator

Just keep your posture straight, maybe even try to learn more towards your heels to keep yourself from stepping off. Like, whatever you are doing to bail out, make a conscious effort to do the exact opposite. Once you do it one time you'll be like "Wait.....it was that easy?"

Oh, THAT guy...

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithsb19 View Post
    I'm probably going to ollie a curb before so I'll be more comfortable. lol this sounds so stupid I'm not Nollie 720 Lazerflipping El Toro I'm riding off a curb haha.

Freaks me the fuck out though
    Maybe don't concentrate on the curb so much. Just look down the road a bit and just keep going. All you really need to do is take the weight off your front foot for a split second and you'll be fine.

>triple posts
    >doesn't get warning
    >be me
    >be trying to make him do it
    >do it in a way by calling him a pussy to aggrevate him
    >he does it first try just to prove he isn't one

what the fuck is wrong with this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by cfagit1
    Gettin' sum G-Star shit tomorrow, stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

Global Moderator

He probably wasn't aware of how to do multiple quotes in one post yet, and you "Trying to make him do it" was being an asshole on purpose and insulting him. You're old enough now that the whole acting like an angry pre teen thing is fucking old. Time to grow up. Hate the forum so much? leave.

God

Quote Originally Posted by Trollskater View Post
    >triple posts
    >doesn't get warning
    >be me
    >be trying to make him do it
    >do it in a way by calling him a pussy to aggrevate him
    >he does it first try just to prove he isn't one

what the fuck is wrong with this forum

Hey hey hey, you gotta learn, im the asshole around here, you try taking my place and i will destroy you. Damn this generation, i was being an asshole on here while you were still drinking milk out of your dads ass. Get in line boy.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Oh, THAT guy...

The doctor is in bitches.

Retired Staff

Trollskater keeps forgetting this isn't SBC. Given some of the things he's posted here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure he's a budding sociopath.
    Last edited by Rev J; 02-13-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Trollskater keeps forgetting this isn't SBC. Given some of the things he's posted here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure he's a budding sociopath.
    I'd think you, of all people, wouldn't go there since you didn't like it when others over there called you the same.. Be the better man. You're not 15 right?

Thank you for editing the post..
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 02-13-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Scrubs Nerd

I'd think you, of all people, wouldn't go there since you didn't like it when others over there called you the same.. Be the better man. You're not 15 right?

You still have time to edit the post. I'll edit the quote if you do..
    Rekt.

Also, to get back to the main point of this thread, learn to manual first. If you can manual, you can drop a curb.

practice practice practice! try to find a curb thats a downhill slant. tail scrape into a tailstall, also try riding off without manuels ( just slow and ugly)

It's over a decade since I had to learn those, so it's just a natural reflex for me. Just keep practicing and never give up, have run ridin' homie
    when you fall, you gotta get back up to land the trick.

Retired Staff

You still have time to edit the post. I'll edit the quote if you do..
    Yeah I did it. Poor judgement on my part.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

lol thanks everyone. I feel like a complete idiot for not having these down yet but when I first started I skipped a ton of basic stuff and I'm only now getting back into skating.

lol, is this forum for real?
    I mean, what's with all the censoring? If your feelings get hurt in real life over what a troll said about you over the internet, you have issues.

As for riding off curbs, just go fast and put some weight over your back leg. It's really trial and error. Just try rolling off the curb and you'll see the worst that can happen is the nose hitting the road and you walking off your board basically.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmashU View Post
    lol, is this forum for real?
    I mean, what's with all the censoring? If your feelings get hurt in real life over what a troll said about you over the internet, you have issues.

As for riding off curbs, just go fast and put some weight over your back leg. It's really trial and error. Just try rolling off the curb and you'll see the worst that can happen is the nose hitting the road and you walking off your board basically.
    Attacking someone that's looking for constructive advice just because you have a higher skill level than them isn't something that I personally tolerate. That's all. We've always tried to keep the vibes positive over here. I won't censor someone getting told what they deserve to be told, but attacking someone searching for advice in skateboarding doesn't fly with me.

Step 1 skate normal speed
    2 push tail down as you do a little "hop" off and down
    Step 3 land
    If you go fast it may be easier. ...
    Good luck!