Riding off Curbs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Riding off Curbs?

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Age
    18
    Posts
    41

    Default Riding off Curbs?

    Yeah, this is probably too simple to even post, I know. But this is ridiculously weird for me.

    I can ollie over cracks and pop shove, but I can't ride off curbs. It's really weird. Like I know you're supposed to manual and go fast so the tail doesn't catch the curb, and I know it's all in my head, but I've been trying to ride off and I can't after almost a YEAR of skating.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Shorty's_Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but you just gotta do the damn thing haha. That is all a mental block dude. For some reason you're scared of it, you gotta figure out what makes you scared of it and/or say fuck being scared and just do it. You gotta like, consciously think while you're doing it to not kick out or bail at all. Like I remember the first time I tried to ollie a ten stair, i had to think about it while i was in the air like "Don't kick your feet/legs whatsoever you pussy" hahahaha. You're bailing because of a subconscious fear, you gotta make a conscious decision to tell your subconscious to piss off.

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Trollskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    20
    Posts
    428

    Default

    that's sad tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by cfagit1
    Gettin' sum G-Star shit tomorrow, stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

  4. #4
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,632

    Default

    Ya, I was gonna say why not start with 2 stair drops? Then, dropping the curb will be easy.

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Age
    18
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trollskater View Post
    that's sad tbh
    you're a fucking asshole, to be honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but you just gotta do the damn thing haha. That is all a mental block dude. For some reason you're scared of it, you gotta figure out what makes you scared of it and/or say fuck being scared and just do it. You gotta like, consciously think while you're doing it to not kick out or bail at all. Like I remember the first time I tried to ollie a ten stair, i had to think about it while i was in the air like "Don't kick your feet/legs whatsoever you pussy" hahahaha. You're bailing because of a subconscious fear, you gotta make a conscious decision to tell your subconscious to piss off.
    Thanks dude lol. I know it's a mental block. It gets so weird though. I'll try again tm

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Ya, I was gonna say why not start with 2 stair drops? Then, dropping the curb will be easy.
    I'm probably going to ollie a curb before so I'll be more comfortable. lol this sounds so stupid I'm not Nollie 720 Lazerflipping El Toro I'm riding off a curb haha.

    Freaks me the fuck out though
    Last edited by Shorty's_Kid; 02-04-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Merging responses into one post.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Shorty's_Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Just keep your posture straight, maybe even try to learn more towards your heels to keep yourself from stepping off. Like, whatever you are doing to bail out, make a conscious effort to do the exact opposite. Once you do it one time you'll be like "Wait.....it was that easy?"

  7. #7
    Oh, THAT guy...
    Number6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithsb19 View Post
    I'm probably going to ollie a curb before so I'll be more comfortable. lol this sounds so stupid I'm not Nollie 720 Lazerflipping El Toro I'm riding off a curb haha.

    Freaks me the fuck out though
    Maybe don't concentrate on the curb so much. Just look down the road a bit and just keep going. All you really need to do is take the weight off your front foot for a split second and you'll be fine.

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Trollskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    20
    Posts
    428

    Default

    >triple posts
    >doesn't get warning
    >be me
    >be trying to make him do it
    >do it in a way by calling him a pussy to aggrevate him
    >he does it first try just to prove he isn't one

    what the fuck is wrong with this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by cfagit1
    Gettin' sum G-Star shit tomorrow, stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Shorty's_Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    He probably wasn't aware of how to do multiple quotes in one post yet, and you "Trying to make him do it" was being an asshole on purpose and insulting him. You're old enough now that the whole acting like an angry pre teen thing is fucking old. Time to grow up. Hate the forum so much? leave.

  10. #10
    God
    Dr_Feelgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trollskater View Post
    >triple posts
    >doesn't get warning
    >be me
    >be trying to make him do it
    >do it in a way by calling him a pussy to aggrevate him
    >he does it first try just to prove he isn't one

    what the fuck is wrong with this forum

    Hey hey hey, you gotta learn, im the asshole around here, you try taking my place and i will destroy you. Damn this generation, i was being an asshole on here while you were still drinking milk out of your dads ass. Get in line boy.



    We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

  11. #11
    Oh, THAT guy...
    Number6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    The doctor is in bitches.

  12. #12
    Retired Staff

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,534

    Default

    Trollskater keeps forgetting this isn't SBC. Given some of the things he's posted here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure he's a budding sociopath.
    Last edited by Rev J; 02-13-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  13. #13
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Trollskater keeps forgetting this isn't SBC. Given some of the things he's posted here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure he's a budding sociopath.
    I'd think you, of all people, wouldn't go there since you didn't like it when others over there called you the same.. Be the better man. You're not 15 right?

    Thank you for editing the post..
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 02-13-2016 at 01:13 PM.

  14. #14
    Scrubs Nerd
    kk360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicoutimi, QC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I'd think you, of all people, wouldn't go there since you didn't like it when others over there called you the same.. Be the better man. You're not 15 right?

    You still have time to edit the post. I'll edit the quote if you do..
    Rekt.

    Also, to get back to the main point of this thread, learn to manual first. If you can manual, you can drop a curb.

  15. #15
    the drunkan skator matrixisfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The city of destiny
    Age
    26
    Posts
    999

    Default

    practice practice practice! try to find a curb thats a downhill slant. tail scrape into a tailstall, also try riding off without manuels ( just slow and ugly)

    It's over a decade since I had to learn those, so it's just a natural reflex for me. Just keep practicing and never give up, have run ridin' homie
    when you fall, you gotta get back up to land the trick.

  16. #16
    Retired Staff

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I'd think you, of all people, wouldn't go there since you didn't like it when others over there called you the same.. Be the better man. You're not 15 right?

    You still have time to edit the post. I'll edit the quote if you do..
    Yeah I did it. Poor judgement on my part.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Age
    18
    Posts
    41

    Default

    lol thanks everyone. I feel like a complete idiot for not having these down yet but when I first started I skipped a ton of basic stuff and I'm only now getting back into skating.

  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sk8r Oven
    Posts
    30

    Default

    lol, is this forum for real?
    I mean, what's with all the censoring? If your feelings get hurt in real life over what a troll said about you over the internet, you have issues.

    As for riding off curbs, just go fast and put some weight over your back leg. It's really trial and error. Just try rolling off the curb and you'll see the worst that can happen is the nose hitting the road and you walking off your board basically.

  19. #19
    Global Moderator
    Shorty's_Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmashU View Post
    lol, is this forum for real?
    I mean, what's with all the censoring? If your feelings get hurt in real life over what a troll said about you over the internet, you have issues.

    As for riding off curbs, just go fast and put some weight over your back leg. It's really trial and error. Just try rolling off the curb and you'll see the worst that can happen is the nose hitting the road and you walking off your board basically.
    Attacking someone that's looking for constructive advice just because you have a higher skill level than them isn't something that I personally tolerate. That's all. We've always tried to keep the vibes positive over here. I won't censor someone getting told what they deserve to be told, but attacking someone searching for advice in skateboarding doesn't fly with me.

  20. #20
    Active Member Sacto Old Schoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    WHEREVER THE GOVERNMENT CHEESE IS
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Step 1 skate normal speed
    2 push tail down as you do a little "hop" off and down
    Step 3 land
    If you go fast it may be easier. ...
    Good luck!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •