Dave Mirra, dead.

Thread: Dave Mirra, dead.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Default Dave Mirra, dead.

Did not see this one coming in the least. Remember watching him in the X Games all the time, back when I still watched.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/0...d-41-years-old
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Global Moderator

I idolized Dave when I was a child. Especially since he called North Carolina home and i always just thought that was so sick haha. Before skateboarding (and during the beginning) i played his video games endlessly, watched all his videos, sat on the edge of my seat during his x games run. I'm definitely a bummed dude tonight because of this news! I hope his mind and heart are at ease now.

Global Moderator

Yeah... Really bummed to hear this. I was never in the BMX community but it definitely hit pretty close to home!

The day before yesterday I was listening to a story on NPR about a football legend that died a while back and the tests finally came back that he had CTE and they were discussing that a lot. It's basically repeated brain injuries that drive you insane. A lot of people are mentioning that he could have suffered from this. (purely speculation though)

RIP

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ben_larsen View Post
    A lot of people are mentioning that he could have suffered from this. (purely speculation though)

RIP
    That is probably a given. I was also riding BMX before skating. We had a dirt track 2 blocks from my house growing up. I never really got in to watching the X-Games BMX other than the big air super pipe stuff. That double front flip was amazing. Other than that I honestly thought it was really goofy watching grown ass people riding 20" bikes even though the tricks are wicked. Just like pro skating, the core followers are younger and he pretty much aged out of the game. That likely caused the depression that he was already predisposed to due to likely CTE to explode. Sad all around, but at least he went out his way on his terms. Life with foll blown CTE isn't that promising.

Global Moderator

Now you guys have got me all worried cause I've had like seven concussions haha

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    Now you guys have got me all worried cause I've had like seven concussions haha
    I'm not a neurologist, but I do know the brain doesn't finish development and maturation until about age 25. If you had most of them in your teens they may have had a better chance of healing. There have been high school players that developed and died from CTE complications but it is way more prevalent in pro athletes that played longer careers.

Most of the high profile cases where people were depressed and did whacko stuff also involved alcohol.