Laser Flip Triple Set

Thread: Laser Flip Triple Set

Cafe Fuzz

Default Laser Flip Triple Set

Wow this is awesome. Check out this video

Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

Gravity Slave Moderator

He certainly has excellent fall technique. Really solid tuck and rolls. Notice how the car parked to the right of the shot changes over time..

I remember the first time I found out some tricks were filmed from 2 different true.. I think it was Dave bachinsky
    when you fall, you gotta get back up to land the trick.

Retired Staff

He's going to be in a lot of pain when he is my age.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

This video just made me think about how many underground rippers there are that get no attention, and how a lot of the dudes that get attention were just in the right spot at the right time. This is a photo of my friend Mason, six years ago. Laserflip down a 10 stair, did it in less than ten minutes. He's done it down bigger stuff since, and I would honestly with full confidence bet he'd get it down that triple set in one trip.

Not taking away from the guy in the video though, that's still such a gnarly trick and the dedication is fully admirable. I definitely have never been that committed to landing a trick before. I have never spent longer than an hour trying before I gave up haha. I guess that's why I never ended up as good as most of my homies!

Retired Staff

On another note I also look at that video and it reminds me that there is a difference between "Skaters" and "People who skate". I don't bemoan the latter group at all. But it seems to me that "Skaters" have it so instilled in their personality to go out and do it, not just in skating but in everything. It's about getting out there and putting your ass on the line, falling down and getting back up, and taking real risks. It is something that permeates your full being. Even though what I do is no were nearly as risky as that and I'm no where near the skater that he is there seems to be something in my personality that has been reawakened since I started skating again. Even before I skated it took me 3 years to learn how to ride a bicycle due to balance and coordination issues but I still got up and did it again. I try not to dwell on my wrist but 2 plates, 5 screws and 9 months of recovery time and I still get up and do it. I could've quit then and probably should've. Most people probably would've.

Sorry to make this about me. But that is the thought in my head that this inspired.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

^haha I've broken my shoulder, my foot, my hand, dislocated my hip (Which, ten years later, still gives me problems), torn my ACL, rolled my ankles so bad so many times they're both sore every morning no matter what my level of activity the day before was, but I still go skate every chance I get. I don't risk as much anymore, my body (also known as my lack of ability to pay american medical bills) can't handle the stuff I used to pull off. I have had every legitimate reason to be like "hey, maybe i shouldn't do this anymore" But, I still go out and skate! So I definitely know what you mean. A lot of the kids I grew up skating with/filming have fallen out of it completely, due to either loss of interest, getting sick of injuries, deciding it's not worth the little spare time they get anymore, etc. Which is all totally understandable, but then there's people like us - who keep going no matter what. Skateboarding lit a fire inside of me as a child that still hasn't come close to dying out, skateboarding is on my mind every hour of every day. When I'm at work, all i can think about is how i'd rather be skating. I get bummed when I go work festivals or tours because it means i can't skate for a while.

But, I still usually won't try one trick for much longer than an hour anymore. I just get frustrated and lose focus and have to move to something else. Which is a shitty habit, and it's why I struggle with consistency/lose most games of skate now, but I have to do it to keep skating enjoyable because I get mad really quick especially if it's something I know for a fact I can land but i just can't stick it for some reason.

Sidenote: If you want to beat me in a game of skate, a good strategy is to start off by doing a kickflip in every stance. It'll get me to T in four tricks. I can fakie biggerflip before I can do a straight kickflip, and I have to be having a REALLY good day to even flip a switch or nollie flip. It's really dumb and I've never understood it, just can't kickflip well. My mind doesn't grasp them. I can alpha spin, back gazelle, nollie big heel, tre flip, bigflip, full cab flip, varial heel every stance, etc etc etc. But I only land a regular kickflip by the very grace of God hahahahahah

Gravity Slave Moderator

It's a double edge sword as you get older. Most of it is a "use it or lose it" phenomenon. The longer you go without doing these things the more impossible it becomes to regain the balance and feel you need to pull them off.

On the other edge, it's no longer "like riding a bike" when you hit mid 40s. Your brain size begins to shrink relative to your skull size leaving more wobble room inside. That makes you way more prone to serious concussions. You'll see pro boxers, MMA, sports entertainment people get KO's by shots that they could easily take with no effect a few years prior due to this problem. You also lose a lot of your internal gyroscope abilities that tell you where you and the ground and your gear are while spinning or flipping. Staying active and in the game really does enable you to hang on to these abilities longer. It's really every bit as amazing that Hawk landed that 900 last month, just as amazing as it was the first time he did it..

Yeah, it's really great

Retired Staff

Lately I've been thinking about being "In shape." I realized that for me personally there are 3 types of in shape. There's workout in shape, skating in shape, and skating+workout in shape. I work out for an hour a day 3 to 5 times a week. The workout I do is the same one that dancers do to maintain balance, coordination, flexibility and strength. Being a freestyle skater it is easier for me to see the connection between dance and skating. To me these directly effect my skating and my skating directly effects them. I'm pretty much of the philosophy that what I do off board effects what i do on board and vice versa. But I had a bit of off time from skating so even though I'm in good workout shape I'm in crappy skating shape. As I build my stamina back up skating I'll be in good skating+workout shape.

For me I kind of have to approach it like interval training. Skate until I'm out of breath which being a smoker isn't that long now. Take a break until I get my breath back, then do it again.

C/S,
    Rev J