Money Saving Gear Hacks. Tricks to get more sessions/longevity out of old gear.

Thread: Money Saving Gear Hacks. Tricks to get more sessions/longevity out of old gear.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Default Money Saving Gear Hacks. Tricks to get more sessions/longevity out of old gear.

There are some veterans here that must have McGyver Magic to save failing gear and get a little more life out of it before having to replace it. I'll start with a couple I have tried, some worked well, some just OK.

1) Dirty, nasty looking mud stained grip tape got you bummed and wanting to regrip or get a new deck? Give it a light pass with black spray paint.

2) Razortail? Trim a 1/2" off the ends. You can either belt sand it or carefully cut it with a jigsaw or bandsaw. Yes, your deck will be a little shorter, but still quite ridable.

3) Bearing stuck against the hanger of your truck, frozen spacer, etc? If you can get the wheel off and the bearing spins, just leave it and keep it lubed. You can put new wheels on and just leave that bearing stuck against the hanger/spacer on the axle and keep riding it.

What else??

Scrubs Nerd

If your griptape is full of mud and dirt, surely the answer isn't to put more gunk in there with spray paint.

I was thinking the same thing. for dirty grip tape I picked up a bar of stuff for cleaning belt sanders from a local hardware store. just rub it across the grip and in a few minutes you have brand new grip
    youtube.com/user/theghengiskhan
    not much there yet, but more incoming

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kk360 View Post
    If your griptape is full of mud and dirt, surely the answer isn't to put more gunk in there with spray paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. for dirty grip tape I picked up a bar of stuff for cleaning belt sanders from a local hardware store. just rub it across the grip and in a few minutes you have brand new grip
    A very light coat of black spray paint is undetectable under foot but will still make it all black again. Try it. I've done it dozens of times. Wire brush will clean it up some with about 5-10 minutes of hard scrubbing. A quick spray takes about 5-10 seconds..

Retired Staff

The old school one when you start getting holes in your skate shoes Duct tape them. On one of my old pairs I actually did about 3 layers alternating between duct tape and shoe goo.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Oh, THAT guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    The old school one when you start getting holes in your skate shoes Duct tape them. On one of my old pairs I actually did about 3 layers alternating between duct tape and shoe goo.
    Or do like I do and shoe goo them when they are new. Then you're only ever wearing down the Goo (mostly).

Retired Staff

I've also heard of using a bicycle tire repair kit to make a rubber ollie patch on new shoes that is positioned where it was on the old Vision Street Wear.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    Or do like I do and shoe goo them when they are new. Then you're only ever wearing down the Goo (mostly).
    This is what I do, That way I can buy cheap, thin shoes and they'll last longer than a session or two.
    I like my boards like I like my women, big, loose, and fast.

Retired Staff

I was just listening to "The Freestyle Podcast" and Daryl Grogan who at the time was the world champion was talking about skating in $20 Target skate shoes. That sounded insane to me but here is a little bit of his skating:

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I was just listening to "The Freestyle Podcast" and Daryl Grogan who at the time was the world champion was talking about skating in $20 Target skate shoes. That sounded insane to me but here is a little bit of his skating:

Target's going to be dropping their Shaun White gear line. Looks like he's going for Gator 2.0....

Shaun White Sued for Sexual Harassment by His Rock Band’s Female Drummer

At least he hasn't been charged with murder yet though..

Beautiful Loser

this kid around here stuffs local skate magazines (yes, skate magazines, or at least pages from them) that he gets for free at the shop in his shoes once they have holes in them, in order to save his socks (and feet) from the friction. he keeps going on about how the cover of the mags are his favorite part because they feel more like semi-hard plastic and last longer. eventually he shreds through the paper regardless and he gets that shit all over his griptape. it's fucking terrible ! but such a skate rat thing to do.

the idea itself of sticking something in your shoe isn't too bad though, i actually used to do that with sheets of soft plastic when i was younger, that i would cut out into the basic shape of a foot and use as an insole of sorts. seeing as it wasn't fragile paper it would actually work out quite well. but i still wouldn't recommend skating in the same worn down shoes for too long or you'll just end up fucking your feet up eventually (getting heel bruise, bursitis, tendinitis etc...)

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Target's going to be dropping their Shaun White gear line. Looks like he's going for Gator 2.0....

Shaun White Sued for Sexual Harassment by His Rock Band’s Female Drummer

At least he hasn't been charged with murder yet though..
    Doesn't surprise me. The funnier part is that Grogan said he doesn't even wear the Shaun White shoes. This just shows me that if you're a good enough skater you can skate in anything.

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

$5 says this is how they are going to try and spin the Shaun White thing:

Regarding the "Sexual Harassment". They will probably try and chalk his behavior up to "Skate Culture" in the Post Jackass/CKY/Big Brother era. Using footage like Ed Templeton slamming on a handrail then showing off his bruised nutsack, nearly anything scat related off Jackass, and 2 Girls 1 Cup reaction videos to claim some type of juvenile pranking and claiming it as a part of "Skate Culture".

Regarding the "Image Suggestions" they will probably fall back on "This is the entertainment industry". Truth be told even in the music business image plays and important part because it is entertainment. Suggestions to get more attention or give up more attention will probably be chalked up to that.

The "Unpaid Wages" thing well there simply is no way to spin that.

For the record even using the arguments that I just did I don't condone or defend Whites actions. It just seems like this is the way that these things get spun.

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

Back on subject. One thing that is common for freestyle skaters to do is take 1/8" long flush mount wood screws and put them in the top of their decks around the nose and tail about 1/4" apart to help protect against delamination.

C/S,
    Rev J