New board advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New board advice

Default New board advice

Hey Sk8ers Cafe.

Been a long time since I have been on this forum. Just came back for some advice and help!

So i have had the same freestyle board for quite a few years now, the brand is Small School.
    Which if i am correct Jeremy Elders actually shut down his company a few years back as well, surprisingly his signature is still somewhat visible on the underside itself .
    My current board is so old and worn down that the bolts on the skids are now being destroyed just by general usage.
    In other words the boards wood has been worn down to some very tiny little nose and tail. almost looks like a flat piece of wood now

This was the first freestyle board that i actually bought, after riding the Popsicle style board for many years.

so what i am looking for in a new board is a little different to what my current one is like. Now the first thing that i noticed was that the nose was so small it could almost be considered to be a single kick board (in my eyes).
    I am looking for a board that has almost identical length on the nose and the tail. i found having the nose so small made me compromise the way / style that i had to do certain tricks and combinations.

so with that in mind can anyone point me into a direction of something like what i am looking for, now i know there is sk8kings but that is the only other brand that i know makes freestyle boards.

Thank you to anyone that can help me!
    [IMG]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4584/baddayforskatingwk9.jpg[/IMG]

Retired Staff

I'm riding a Decomposed Witter Cheng right now that I'm loving. It's gotten to the point where there are only about 4 companies making freestyle stuff right now Sk8kings, Decomposed, Moonshine, and Mode. Actually I think Skull Skates still makes a couple of freestyle models come to think of it. The only brand that I've heard fairly consistent negative reviews of is Sk8kings.

Decomposed does a lot of reissue stuff I've only ridden one of their boards so far but I'm really loving it. The Cheng has a fairly flat tail that is squared off like a traditional freestyle board and a nose shaped like a popcicle stick that is a little steeper. The sweet spots right behind back bolts and in front of front bolts for foot work are especially sweet.

Their ordering system is a little strange as you have to e-mail them to see if something is available before you order it but Witter usually gets back to you within a day.

Other than ordering from their site check eBay.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

I just saw this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Symmetrical-...cAAOSwLVZVgwe0

Something like this perhaps.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

I have tried blank street decks, Powell Kilian Martin 7.75"(that I blunted the nose on), Eastbilt, Reverse Freestyle 7.65, Decomposed 7.2 and Mode 7.4. Personally, I prefer Mode. Had 2 and will continue to be my board of choice.They have a 14.5" wheelbase, which is pretty similar to most street boards - so ollies and flip tricks translate, but is shorter with blunted tail/nose and parallel rails.

The only other that I am really curious about is Open Source Skateboards freestyle deck. However it is a bit more pricey than the others, but looks pretty close to Smallschool?

My two cents.

Retired Staff

I retired my Powell a couple of months ago. I'm loving my Decomposed enough to get another one. I just got it today even though I've probably got 6 months or so on my other one:

113418230.jpg

I figure that by the time I kill my other one I'll be ready to move up a size.

Which Mode model do you have?

C/S,
    Rev J

7.4" modern freestyle, think graphic was called birdcage?
    https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/sh...ite/6or29wdp1S

Prior to that was a dragonfly.

Retired Staff

Cool! My plan is to keep going up a size every time I wear out a deck. Are those Mode wheels on that too? The guys on Freestyle Podcast gave them rave reviews.

Right now I'm riding a Decomposed Witter Cheng "Chernobyl" with Ace 00 trucks, Momentum Kevin Harris wheels and Decomposed 7 Maggots Bearings.

C/S,
    Rev J

Yup, Mode wheels too. Really like the urethane. Nice balance of grip versus sliding. I can do 360 power slides on a tennis court, but can still do 360 spins on a slick garage floor without slipping out. Also very stable in rail.

I also have a street/park/cruiser setup: 8.25 Welcome "Son of a Moontrimmer" shape. Currently rocking Indy 139s on it, and my Bones STFs are shrinking and coning - might just get another set of the blue Mode wheels for it. But winter is coming ...

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/sh...ite/E2F3CrSCdk

Retired Staff

Cool! I've been listening to back episodes of "The Freestyle Podcast" and they rave about, Mode, Seismic, and Momentum wheels. I have a set of the Seismic Focus 101's that I'll probably start using when my Momentums die. I've beome a huge fan of Cored wheels.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

So if I'm saving my pennies for a freestyle complete, would I be better off going for a Sk8kings or a Decomposed?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    So if I'm saving my pennies for a freestyle complete, would I be better off going for a Sk8kings or a Decomposed?
    I've got a Mode Terry Synott that's similar to this one.. different graphic.. with Bullet 109s on it and some Kryptos wheels. I bought it off XGecko a couple years ago.

http://www.modeskateboards.com/produ...en-7-4-by-29-4

Mine's natural with
    ModeModeMode
    ModeModeMode
    ModeModeMode
    ModeModeMode
    ModeModeMode
    ModeModeMode
    ModeModeMode

on the bottom and top similar to the Mode graphic in that photo. If I can get ahold of a box to ship it, I might be willing to part with it..

Retired Staff

Decomposed. I've actually seen some of their decks on eBay for $19 plus shipping directly from Witter himself. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/skateboard-...oAAOSwrhhZ6VJf

Or for $15:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/skateboard-...wAAOSwe2FZw0a2

And Wheels for $35:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/skateboard-...QAAOSwBG1Zlvz9

Figure about another $40 for trucks.

You are probably going to have to go to their site to order skid plates.

This is how I usually get decks.
    Last edited by Rev J; 10-23-2017 at 09:46 PM.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Here's the Mode I have which is gathering dust.. Might be interested in some kind of a swap for old school or cruiser..

Clear grip

Small crack in jawbone. Went jawbone instead of plate on front for grabs.. Two holes were already there from missing plate. Re used those and added 3 for jawbone,

If you wanted to send me something to swap and a return mailer I'll send this back in the same box.. Those newer decks look good too. I am not in any hurry to get rid of this one but just a thought if someone really wants it..

Skate Pirate

I've been listening to a bunch of The Freestyle Podcast and it sounds like they recommend single-kick boards moreso than double-kicks for beginners...it's a little easier to utilize the flat nose of a single-kick for freestyle purposes or something. Is there any truth to that?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    I've been listening to a bunch of The Freestyle Podcast and it sounds like they recommend single-kick boards moreso than double-kicks for beginners...it's a little easier to utilize the flat nose of a single-kick for freestyle purposes or something. Is there any truth to that?
    True, especially after riding single kick freestyle for 30 years. I thought I'd try the symmetrical but hated it hahahaha! Singe kick sucks for ollies an flip tricks though. I much prefer the single kick Powell and Peralta Mullens I have now.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    True, especially after riding single kick freestyle for 30 years. I thought I'd try the symmetrical but hated it hahahaha! Singe kick sucks for ollies an flip tricks though. I much prefer the single kick Powell and Peralta Mullens I have now.
    Isn't/wasn't @XGecko in/with the Mode crew for a while there? And honestly, I'd totally be down for a trade - that's one of my favorite interactions. But, I don't have anything that you're looking for that's equivalent in value.

Anyway, Tony on the Freestyle Podcast seemed to enjoy the 109mm Polar Bear trucks and the new (circa 2014) Seismic freestyle wheels, so I was looking at those...Any experience with either the Polar Bears or the Seismics?

Retired Staff

First off if you are used to riding a double kick board I'd say a double kick freestyle board should be fine. I've only skated double kicks since I started skating again a few years ago.

I have a set of Seismic Focus wheels. I didn't skate them very much Witter sent me them after I had to hacksaw a Momentum Harris wheel off. I loved the feel of the Momentums so I ordered another set from Skull Skates amd used the Seismics as a stop gap. I found another unwrapped older set of the Harris wheels on eBay for $16 so I scooped them up. I think part of the reason that the Seismics get such rave reviews on the podcast is because Matt Gokey helped design them. Then again maybe I just didn't give them a fair chance.

As for trucks I've only skated ACE 00s. From what I've gathered they were designed by the same guy who designed the stage 9 Indies and are essentially supposed to be the same geometry.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

That's the beauty of the situation, right there! I'm a complete hack at "normal" skateboarding! Never got into street skating or doing fliptricks or anything. I've got experience in parks and ditches, but I never got to fully rely on a kicknose in there. So, as far as freestyle goes, I'm pretty much a clean slate.

Retired Staff

One of the advantages of a double kick board comes when you start to link tricks. Since a double kick board is semi symmetrical you don't have to worry as much about getting your board back in the right position after 180 tricks. As a matter of fact one of if not the first double kick board was the Tracker Flip Side Per Holknekt pro model.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Another option...I've got a template from Rodney's OG shape from Powell Peralta. What about transferring that to an existing blank deck?