Ideas for a DIY skate spot?

Thread: Ideas for a DIY skate spot?

Default Ideas for a DIY skate spot?

Hey I live in Perth, WA and I am interested in building a DIY spot locally.

You can provide ideas for location, obstacle ideas, your experience with DIY spots etc.

This thread is quite wide open for ideas and comments so go ahead

Global Moderator

I started and built a moderately large DIY spot. It lasted for nearly 2 years before it was destroyed.

Location is key and in most cities it's nearly impossible to find a spot that'll last. The spot we had was an old airport runway, the airport built a new one perpendicular to the old one and the old one had trees surrounding it. It had access from either the airport's parking lot or on the other side in an industrial park and once it got popular people parked in the airport lot and the police caught on.

I'd suggest using google maps to find a location. I've actually started 3 or 4 but they didn't last long, from my experience never build one on anything that's for sale (even if it's been for sale for years). It's probably going to take several tries before you even find someplace that'll last longer than a month.

As far as obstacles, we always just built concrete stuff (boxes, banks, quarter pipes) so it would be harder to throw out, which in hindsight is kind of a douchey thing to do to the property owner. Maybe just built a cheap wooden box or something and see if it will be removed quickly... That'll probably save you money and time in the long run.

You can easily get charges against you too for doing any of this, so be cautious.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Any property owner of government agency will immediately end your fun the moment they realize it is happening. They are afraid that if someone gets injured on their property they will get sued, and they will lose if the plaintiff (injured kids parents) can establish that the owner knew or should have known of the dangerous activity occurring. If you have something on your property (even if you didn't put it there) that attracts strangers and one of them gets injured the property owner is held liable... It's called an "attractive nuisance".

If you do find someplace be sure to leave a trash can there to discourage others from smashing bottles on the ground all over. There is a small chance the owner might look the other way if the place is kept clean and no undue attention is drawn to it. Unfortunately, that's not usually the case though. A cool spot under the radar quickly becomes a notorious place for underage drinking and parties. Not long until it's no longer under the radar and it gets busted.

Best place to build skate features and ride them is someone's back yard... but that's not usually a good spot for underage kids to smoke or drink... which is often the main objective of these remote DIY spots..

Yeah cheers I live in a suburban and civilised area so there are scarce possible spots as most of them are parkland or out in the open and visible.

I'm aiming to find a secluded spot surrounded by bush and I guess if it's a trek away it'll be worth it still.

I'll make sure to be cautious of the dangers of building a spot.

Global Moderator

If you're planning on using concrete make sure you have easy access to water at the spot... We didn't think about that and had to carry jugs of water back and forth from a small pond and collect rain in buckets...

where the heck is perth? never heard of it and google didn't show anything.

try finding abandoned building that are distant enough from houses and such so it doesn't bother anyone.
    concrete is cheap, or try using whatever you muster up with your grundgy ratpack ;D
    when you fall, you gotta get back up to land the trick.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by matrixisfun View Post

try finding abandoned building that are distant enough from houses and such so it doesn't bother anyone.
    concrete is cheap, or try using whatever you muster up with your grundgy ratpack ;D
    It's in Australia... 4th largest city in Australia actually!!

Global Moderator

Oiiii my dude (or my girl?) there's so many different ways to do a DIY spot. Just look up some ramp plans and become familiar with mixing and shaping concrete. For the starter/easier to build ramps, you'll need plywood cutouts for shape, bricks (or we've used just random debris) topped with chicken wire to mold the ramp according to the plywood molds, and then cover and smooth with a few layers of concrete and let it sit for a couple days to dry. Obviously thats a shortened version and making an obstacle of quality isn't that simple, but that's the general idea. Just have fun and be creative - Make your spot how YOU want to make it. After all, that's the sickest part of skateboarding. Let creativity shine through your objects.

It's super easy to start out with just a ledge or something though. Here's how we built one ledge at our local DIY:
    16 Cinderblocks - 2 cinderblocks high, 2 cinderblocks wide, 4 cinderblocks long (Obviously, you can change these numbers according to how tall/long/wide you want your ledge)
    1 25lb bag of quick-crete
    2 Pieces of angle iron, matching the length of our ledge
    Bottles of Liquid Nail

1. Lay down the base of your ledge in the spot you have chosen for it, with the first layer of cinderblocks (If you're only making it one set tall, skip to 4)
    2. Mix up some concrete, lay it down and smooth it out the layer over the top of the blocks. It's not relatively important that it's super smooth, just make sure it's even enough so your next layer isn't wonky.
    3. Set the next layer of cinderblocks on top. The concrete in between the two sets of blocks will glue the whole ledge together so no blocks move anywhere once it's dried.
    4. Take some concrete and make a layer on the top. This layer should be a little bit thicker.
    5. Take your piece(s) of angle iron, and apply a bunch of liquid nail to the inside of it.
    6. Set the liquid-nailed angle iron onto the top of your concrete while the concrete is still wet. If you want it flush with the ledge, push it down and move it around until it's even and flush with the rest of the concrete. Smooth out/play around with the concrete on top if you have to in order to make it flush, but try and keep any from getting on top of the angle iron itself.
    7. Keep smoothing until everything is nice, flat and even, with no ripples/holes/gaps anywhere in the concrete on top.
    8. Allow 48 hours at a minimum for it to dry out.
    9. You now have a concrete ledge, and if you made it wide enough, you've got a manual pad as well.

If the location you find is indoors, then just look up ramp plans on the internet and follow those using plywood/masonite. Once you're comfortable, start getting creative.

What's the name of the main shop out there? It's not momentum, is it? I'm not familiar with Perth shit at all. But, go wherever your skateshop is to link up with other skaters and see who would be down to help. See if the shop would be willing to participate in a DIY fundraiser, a lot of the shops out here do that. They'll just have a bucket or something where people can drop cash and all the cash is used to buy supplies for the DIY spots, shop owner gives us the money and we just bring back the receipts/change to them.

Meanwhile, check out this insane foundation DIY spot my state is lucky enough to have. Video is whack, but you can see the spot itself. This one is about 230km west of me, but that city has 3 outdoor plazas and a giant indoor park as well, so it's worth the drive out there for a skate weekend haha. Such a rad and skate friendly little city, i'd live there if the cost of living wasn't near Los Angeles prices!

Quote Originally Posted by matrixisfun View Post

100% guarantee you must've made a typo or something mate, all I did was type "perth" to google and nothing came up besides the city in australia haha