Newbie needs help!

Thread: Newbie needs help!

Default Newbie needs help!

Hi I am a 58 year old grandpa that wants to get a skate board. I have never skate boarded. I am not currently interested in doing any outrageous tricks mostly just want to be able to cruse around on my skate board.....be able to skate up and down an imbankment.....maybe learn how to jump up a curb or flip the skate board. Problem is I know nothing about skate boards! I don't have a skate board shop near me so any suggestions or help I could receive on what skate board I should get size, length, brand, wheels, etc. so I could go shopping on line would be greatly, greatly appreciated!
    Thanks a Million in advance!

Gravity Slave Moderator

Start with one of the "Complete" sets places like TGM Skateboards sells. I'd recommend 8" or 8.25" wide, more stable for shaky new folks.

Just get it assembled and practice pushing around for awhile then try some other things when you get comfortable with just riding around.

Thanks a million!
    I have needed a "place" to start and now I have it. I spend a lot of time watching my 20month old grandson and I am excited to start skate boarding to keep me in shape in the weeks that I am not watching him!
    Again many Thanks!

I think I have decided on an 8 inch Darkstar complete, if it's a reliable brand? I have good mechanical skills so am assuming it should be relatively easy to assemble. Looking forward to my first post on "Day of skating"!

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tribefan View Post
    I think I have decided on an 8 inch Darkstar complete, if it's a reliable brand? I have good mechanical skills so am assuming it should be relatively easy to assemble. Looking forward to my first post on "Day of skating"!
    Ya go for it. It's a good starting point. After a few months of learning you will develop a better ability to gauge your better defined preferences. At that point find a brick and mortar skate shop and go in to shop more specialized gear to build a product that's better suited to those preferences..

Get a big ass fish-tail board to represent your era. Very minimum is 8 inchs wide.

Want to look super bad ass? Stretch everytime before skating, ankles, knees, arms, back, ect. No fuckin' joke being injury-free is the bees knees.
    when you fall, you gotta get back up to land the trick.

I will be skating in 2017 so that is my era, and I am over 50 so I really have no concern for what I look like! I greatly appreciate your advice on staying injury free! For me it is a huge priority because my wife(a nurse), my daughter(a doctor), my mother, and sister are all freaking out that I want to start skating worried that I am going to "Injure" myself. I just want to have some genuine fun and stay in shape to enjoy and watch my grandson! I had not thought about stretching, thanks for the heads up on that. In researching buying my board I noticed a lot of "skating shoes". Is that something that I should look into or is a good pair of "converse" ok? Am really excited and looking forward to start skating........."safely". :-)

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by matrixisfun View Post
    Get a big ass fish-tail board to represent your era. Very minimum is 8 inchs wide.
    OP's that age but totally new to skating. If I were starting out today I'd go with a popsickle and not an old school cruiser for any kind of tricks or park skating. Fact that all the old schoolers went that way when it became available proves it is a better design all around.

I only ride old school because that's how I learned and I haven't invested much time on popsickles to get used to the better tool. But, if I were starting out today, regardless of age, that is the best vehicle to ride all around park, ramps, etc. I would go with softer wheels for street cruising though..

As for shoes, Converse have decent soles so you will be OK starting out with Chucks. Once you start trying tricks like ollies and variations of those you will start tearing up your front toe side tops pretty fast. That's when you'll need to upgrade to better skate shoes and/or coat them with shoe goo..

Id get real skate shoes over converse, Real skate shoes should have better grip and padding. I personally like "fallen shoes" but I think you can only order them online now.
    I was just recomending a fish board because their wide n big , and it's oldschool, like you ;D
    Yeah stretching CAN be the difference between a injury and walking it off. Thats something EVERYONE should do!
    get comfortable with your board, learn to stand,pivot,push. holding onto a handrail might help.

Now go to the skatepark and start pushing over the children to claim your park dominance.

I may have changed my mind on a board......is alien workshop an ok and reputable manufacturer?

Yea I I've always like Alien workshop, I think I only owned 1 or 2 but they seemed good. ( think I had the rob&big as aliens graphic)

But shit man go to a local skateshop, they should let you stand on the boards and get a feel for what you like best.

I'm a 51 year old skateboarder that started in 1976 when I lived in Gaithersburg MD

I'd say go to local shop, get a "shop deck" with Independent trucks and wheels that are 54-56mm. Truck size match board width and I'd recommend something 8-8.5" wide. Learn by rolling and turning and kick turning, with time you will get comfortable and learn more. good luck!
    Pads on Sunday, Walk on Monday

I think that is crazy cool that you started skating in Gburg! And your and matrix's advice to visit a local skate shop is solid and what I would have preferred but my wife has been a very HARD SELL on me getting started skating. So it is going to be a delicate process to get her on board with me being on a board, so getting my first board on line getting started skating is currently best practices statagy on reducing her anxiety about me skating. I also have to add that I expected a positive, helpful and good skating community and the help I have received here has totally lived up to my expectations! I can't wait to get started skating!

Also the board I was looking at has 52 mm wheels. I am assuming that 54 or 56 mm wheels would be more forgiving of bumps, sidewalk joints, etc. do you think 52 will be to small starting out?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tribefan View Post
    Also the board I was looking at has 52 mm wheels. I am assuming that 54 or 56 mm wheels would be more forgiving of bumps, sidewalk joints, etc. do you think 52 will be to small starting out?
    Wheels are like thirty bucks delivered. Get a second set a little (but not too much) bigger. Things get complicated with bigger wheels because you then might need risers between the trucks and deck to give the wheels more clearance so they don't hit the deck when turning. Then you might need longer hardware bolts to accommodate the risers. If you're going to go this deep in to analysis best to just go to a brick and mortar skate shop and build your deck and components there with the help of the staff. Completes tend to come set up properly with regard to those things..