ideal body type for skateboarding?

Thread: ideal body type for skateboarding?

Hmm2 ideal body type for skateboarding?

Hey guys,

I'm not a skater, and I don't know a ton about skateboarding. However, I was watching some youtube videos, and they happened to mention that Tony Hawk is 6'3". He also looks thin and long-limbed.

Since he is considered one of the world's best skaters, particularly in vert, I wondered, is being tall and lanky the ideal body type for a skateboarder? Or perhaps only for vert skateboarding? Does his height and long limbs give him an advantage? Are there different ideal body types for vert, street, downhill, etc?

I ask because most sports require a certain body type to make it to a pro level. For basketball, you have to be born really tall, for American football you probably want to be big and stocky, most pro tennis players are tall/lanky like Hawk, etc.
    Last edited by healthyPunk85; 03-29-2017 at 04:00 PM.

God

I think aslong as you arent insanely big it dosent make to big of a difference, obviously someone lighter is going to have an easier time skateboarding but im sure theres some chubbos that rip

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Retired Staff

I read an interview with Hawk years ago where he said he lost a lot of tricks when he hit his first growth spurt as he had to scrunch up more to get his grabs and it raised his center of gravity.

Personally as a freestyle skater I feel like one of the advantages I have is small feet. I've only gained 2 shoe sizes since I was 13. The advantage is that so much of doing tricks is getting your feet out of the way and if you have small feet you have less to get out of the way.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Beautiful Loser

there is no particularly ideal body type for skateboarding because you can become good at it in so many different ways, but your body type will most likely decide on your skating style before you even know it. i'd say all body types have their respective pros and cons, from what i've observed in general smaller guys will have a more explosive style and be better at technical tricks where you have to be really quick-footed and have good balance (a trait enhanced by having a lower center of gravity). a good example is daewon. on the other hand taller guys will struggle with those but have a lot more pop (due to stronger, longer legs) and skating big spots will be much easier (since then they won't be nearly as big as they would be for the smaller guys, proportionally). good examples would be andrew reynolds or pat duffy, or yeah hawk as you said.

as far as weight, unless you combine skating with a particularly unhealthy lifestyle you will most likely lose a lot of it anyway just by skating regularly, there are quite a few heavier skaters who rip but in general i tend to think the lighter you are and the more 'in shape', the more you are able to fully utilize your potential, for skating i kind of think of body fat as a parasite for anybody who's actually trying to work at becoming better at it. i also find that being light makes you less prone to injuries as well

Scrubs Nerd

Being lighter is definitely a plus. If you drop 20 pounds, you'll notice how fewer decks you tend to snap haha. I experienced it first hand.

Global Moderator

Dog, one of my homies is 5'6" and an easy 220 and he beats me in games of skate. Obviously the lighter you are the easier it will be for you to get to that point because, you know, physics, but I know a couple of other dudes even besides the aforementioned guy who are honestly obese and can still ollie 2-3 stacks haha. My opinion is if you can ride a skateboard and have fun, you've got the ideal body for it.

Retired Staff

Check this out:

I don't know if it is natural ability, body size, or Japanese discipline. Or some combination of all three.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J