Musicians Random Thought Thread.. Music Gear, Home Studios, Gigs, Etc.. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Musicians Random Thought Thread.. Music Gear, Home Studios, Gigs, Etc..

Gravity Slave Moderator

Ibanez is some seriously well made, good sounding guitars. My main guitar guy mid 80s was playing A Les Paul shape that he still uses. Played through a Marshall stack.

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Ibanez is some seriously well made, good sounding guitars. My main guitar guy mid 80s was playing A Les Paul shape that he still uses. Played through a Marshall stack.
    Mid 70s "Lawsuit" Ibanezes are still collectors items. In the 70s Ibanez was making copies of Fenders and Gibsons that were higher quality (a fact that "Brand Snobs" of my generation scoff at) and ended up getting sued for it. After CBS bought Fender they started doing stupid shit like 3 bolt neck joints. As for Gibson nearly everyone I've known who had played that vintage of Gibson has had to rewire it, replace pickups, and do something so that it would stay in tune (either change tuners, or pull a Steve Stevens and put a Floyd Rose locking nut on it.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

I'm currently working my ass off this summer to hopefully save up for a musicman stingray 4. My squier p bass is good, but an upgrade would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfagit1
    Gettin' sum G-Star shit tomorrow, stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You ain't kidding, dude! Overall, this isn't a bad time to buy guitars, since quality is up across the board...it's hard to buy an unredeemably bad guitar these days. I love my Ibanez bass, the double-cut Dumpster Fire is a decent body, but even the rest of my guitar family subsists of "sleeper" Asian imports. My modern(ish) Tele was a custom import for a shop in Nashville that they'd take and spruce up a little before selling; my main acoustic is a Peavey from 2003 or thereabouts, made in Korea, and sounds absolutely awesome after a minor setup; even my Recording King acoustic parlor guitar, which was a scratch-and-dent from Guitar Center, is top-notch. My worst guitar experience thus far has been with an Art & Lutherie (Made by Godin).

Skate Pirate

I'm addicted to these Wampler videos. Brian is a huge nerd.

Earth Punk

Thanks to extra hours I was able to pay my rent, pull the trigger on this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hAfD_BwE&smp=y

And still have $250 until next payday.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Thanks to extra hours I was able to pay my rent, pull the trigger on this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hAfD_BwE&smp=y

And still have $250 until next payday.
    So, Rev, when it comes to bass guitar, where does one begin to branch out and explore tones and sounds? I'm generally satisfied with the single pickup and 2 knobs on my bass, but I want to begin exploring and massaging the bass a little to see what it can really do. Are there any quick mods that can be done; changing a capacitor or pot value for instance, or will most difference come from strings?

Gravity Slave Moderator

^^^ I used to run an old ZOOM effects pedal on my simple bass and amp for diversity..

Earth Punk

For me the big 3 pedals are Compressor, Chorus, and EQ. Those are the 3 that I always have on. My go to pedals on that are the tc Electronic Spectracomp, the Boss PQ3B (currently out of production but I've found them online for around $85) and tc Electronic Corona Chorus.

Here is what makes the tc Electronic gear so cool to me:

Most of the pedals in my board are tc.

The cheapest ways to change up your tone are new strings and changing where you pluck. Toward the neck has a deeper tone that for me I use more for Afro/Cuban music and walking bass. Toward the bridge is brighter plus the strings feel tighter so it is easier to play faster so it's generally where I play the most.

C/S,
    Rev J

Earth Punk

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a used Macbook Pro for about $600 so all told my home studio set up will have only cost me about $850.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a used Macbook Pro for about $600 so all told my home studio set up will have only cost me about $850.
    Are you using a mic or something like a USB cable?

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've been a slacker. Drums are buried behind the Christmas tree and some furniture moved to make room for the tree. Guitars are hanging in the living room but haven't played on over a month.... and I'm not working right now..

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Are you using a mic or something like a USB cable?
    I got a recording package with an interface, a mic, mic stand, pop screen, headphones, mic cable, Ableton, and Protools for $250. The interface connects with USB. My thoughts are using Ableton for all of the programmed parts, record bass direct, and miced up doodad percussion (Shakers, tambourine, claps, snaps the types of things I can record in my apartment without pissing off the neighbors) in Protools.

I have a Berklee College of Music book on Jazz Composition I also want to work through so kinda mixing Hip Hop with Jazz Composition.

C/S,
    Rev J