Soooooooooooooo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soooooooooooooo

God

Default Soooooooooooooo

Probably not new thread worthy but this place is falling apart so i figured id post a whole new topic instead of asking in another thread. The fact this site keeps going down every few months has pretty killed this site, no new members, paired with the fact if new members join, the site goes down for so long that everyone stops bothering trying to come back. Ive accepted this place will never get back on its feet but ill always stop in aslong i got the free time to scope the place. Anyway i was curious, does anyone here use any other message boards? When this place went down a few months ago, i ended up joining SLAP, its pretty active over there, this will always be OG home but its kinda nice browsing a site with updated skate related topics to read when im bored haha. Anyone here lurk other boards?

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Scrubs Nerd

I don't really visit forums any more. I go on reddit a lot though. It's kind of like a forum but without that personal at home feel. It's just a bunch of strangers.

Retired Staff

I am on a couple of other forums that I'm going to keep to myself since "Igrindtwinkies" doesn't get the fact that I don't want to deal with him.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

I just encountered Rev J on one of the aforementioned sites.

Forums follow the activity that they're centered toward...it's been my experience, at least in my neck of the woods, that skateboarding is trending downward. Penny boards seemed to start the death spiral, then scooters took over, and while skateboarding itself is certainly omnipresent, it's not as hot as it used to be. Wrap that up with a general trend away from specialized forums, and members going toward more generalized sites (Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, Instagram), and it's easy to see how much membership growth can slow down. Sprinkle in a healthy dose of site instability, which drives away the older members, and everything slowly evaporates.

Remember Ramprage.com? Suggsboard.com? Both of those fell into the bottomless pit of despair. Well, Ramprage was run by a software developer for VBulletin, who used the site as a testbed for new forum features...once he moved onto a new job, he killed the board, but not before witnessing the Death Spiral.

Retired Staff

But also hear me out on this I know that I've beaten this to death but if you google "Skateboard Forums" the top site that came up was skateboard city so that is where I started. The thing is that it's like a cross between a retirement home and a junior high lunch room.

That said most people are lazy and won't look beyond the first site that pops up. And most people had a shitty time in junior high so they figure that if the largest skateboard site is run like that then the rest must be shittier so they don't go down the list. It pretty much rolls down hill.

Add to that the points of the above poster and that is where we are.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    But also hear me out on this I know that I've beaten this to death but if you google "Skateboard Forums" the top site that came up was skateboard city so that is where I started. The thing is that it's like a cross between a retirement home and a junior high lunch room.

That said most people are lazy and won't look beyond the first site that pops up. And most people had a shitty time in junior high so they figure that if the largest skateboard site is run like that then the rest must be shittier so they don't go down the list. It pretty much rolls down hill.

Add to that the points of the above poster and that is where we are.
    I enjoyed junior high. Girls were getting their bewbies. I hadn't yet grown world-weary and cynical of everything. I completely understand what you're saying though...Sites like Slap and SBC, and to a lesser extent, Skullandbones, are all a certain brand of aggressive. Hell, even Skaterscafe had a lot of aggression and trolling when I first joined up...there's a reason I jumped ship and went to Ramprage for several years before becoming a regular here. I, for one, want to go on a skateboard site to kill some time and relax. It's incredibly exhausting being trolled and bullied the entire time.

Global Moderator

I grew up with Ramprage! That was my first forum and I stuck with it until the end!

I used SLAP for a while, never posted just lurked.

I also frequented some film photography forums

but these days I stick pretty much to a few private facebook groups for photography and here for skateboarding.

I also use Reddit way too much

Global Moderator

I'm not on any other forums. I've thought about checking out SLAP tho

God

Seems like alot of people use reddit these days, i cant say ive ever been on reddit, i barely know what it is haha. Yeah slap is cool to lurk, pretty up to date on all the latest skate related news/videos etc so i enjoy having a little lurk there every now and then

God

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    I enjoyed junior high. Girls were getting their bewbies. I hadn't yet grown world-weary and cynical of everything. I completely understand what you're saying though...Sites like Slap and SBC, and to a lesser extent, Skullandbones, are all a certain brand of aggressive. Hell, even Skaterscafe had a lot of aggression and trolling when I first joined up...there's a reason I jumped ship and went to Ramprage for several years before becoming a regular here. I, for one, want to go on a skateboard site to kill some time and relax. It's incredibly exhausting being trolled and bullied the entire time.
    Truely a magical time

Gravity Slave Moderator

There was a nice twilight period here before the really bad hack when about 20-25 solid long time members were posting weekly and most of the dickhead trolls had gone. Some got married and dropped off. Folks like Skateboard G, Noj, Turtle, Sk8nPJ, Naive, Razz, Tyler Self, etc were all just chill. I don't think most just gravitated on to other interests and assumed this place was gone since it really was a lot of times.

Global Moderator

I forgot about Tyler Self. I still see Naive on facebook every now and then

Banned

I'll always love this place.

God

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    I forgot about Tyler Self. I still see Naive on facebook every now and then
    One day im gonna marry that girl or at least get her drunk enough to make her think im a cool dude

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    There was a nice twilight period here before the really bad hack when about 20-25 solid long time members were posting weekly and most of the dickhead trolls had gone. Some got married and dropped off. Folks like Skateboard G, Noj, Turtle, Sk8nPJ, Naive, Razz, Tyler Self, etc were all just chill. I don't think most just gravitated on to other interests and assumed this place was gone since it really was a lot of times.
    I remember that as when I came on. That was when Ben Larson was still Marley Fan. I remember Skateboard G and Turtles Violin and Keyboard Duet. It was cool that even though Sk8nPJ didn't skate she was supportive of her kids skating and her local scene. Somewhere between the hacks and Coleman taking off on his mission things really got quiet around here.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

With forum traffic (across the board, not necessarily just here) slowing down, what's the best option for promoting a small-time event? I found a little, skatable ditch nearby, and with a few hands and maybe a half hour of work, it can be cleaned up and made pristine. How can I most effectively get the word out?

Retired Staff

With forum traffic (across the board, not necessarily just here) slowing down, what's the best option for promoting a small-time event? I found a little, skatable ditch nearby, and with a few hands and maybe a half hour of work, it can be cleaned up and made pristine. How can I most effectively get the word out?
    facebook

God

Straight up, facebook is probably the best way to promote stuff like that. alot of towns have little private groups you can join for certain topics/hobbiess etc

Retired Staff

A couple of Mexicans from in front of Home Depot should get it cleaned out real cheap. Once people see you skating there word of mouth is a great thing.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I'd try to keep that info under the radar and off places like Facebook, especially if kids who still live at home under legal drinking age are invited to hang out there. Parents, or friends of their parents might call the cops and have the spot shut down if they see the info.