Soooooooooooooo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soooooooooooooo

God

Does anyone actually know how this site got back running again? Like if it was suspended, how was it fixed, who did this? Was it the ghost of Dogtowns moustache?

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I'd try to keep that info under the radar and off places like Facebook, especially if kids who still live at home under legal drinking age are invited to hang out there. Parents, or friends of their parents might call the cops and have the spot shut down if they see the info.
    I think the legal term for that is "Attractive Nuisance".
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    Does anyone actually know how this site got back running again? Like if it was suspended, how was it fixed, who did this? Was it the ghost of Dogtowns moustache?
    Shot in the dark is that Pathtek hadn't paid the annual hosting fee for the full year. I think it is usually due in February. Two years in a row we got locked out early February.. then we got back in for awhile, maybe he paid for 3 months and our hosting account got suspended when that ran out... Then he or someone else came up with the money to get us back up. Big question now is .. for how long??

God

I want mike to give up his hobbie of jerking off over Alf pogs and check back in for an update every now and then.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I'd try to keep that info under the radar and off places like Facebook, especially if kids who still live at home under legal drinking age are invited to hang out there. Parents, or friends of their parents might call the cops and have the spot shut down if they see the info.
    That's the idea - keeping everything as far on the DL as possible. I found the ditch using public information, and found that it's owned by the county, and has a really nicely marked access road going out to it. The only warnings are that private property abuts the road, so no motorized vehicles are allowed off of the road. Beyond that, it seems to be loosely set up as an unimproved recreation area.

Now here's the pickle: I don't have a Facebook account...

Global Moderator

Do you have a local skateshop? If so I'd go in there and talk to someone and see who would be down.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    Do you have a local skateshop? If so I'd go in there and talk to someone and see who would be down.
    Yep, I actually used to work there. Unfortunately, they're not exactly interested in promoting events unless it'll make them a few bucks...even when I was working there and throwing events (on my own time) that had people from across the state, they committed to exactly 0 support. Hell, this is the shop that would slice the cellophane off of new decks to remove the free stickers to sell 'em separately for a few bucks...to say that the owner is a stingy fiscal conservative is an understatement.

Banned

who buys stickers?

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by goatdick View Post
    who buys stickers?
    Pretty much nobody.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Stickers are old school pre grinding and shredding away the graphics... and hung around through when rails to protect graphics were popular.

Turbo Raptor!

I don't use any skate ones anymore, although I've got back on a board again recently which is sick.

I've ended up being a mod on a huge Manchester United forum though, which I spend waaaaaaay too much time on. I somehow have 20000 posts there.

I miss the glory days here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Late Great Colonel Sanders
    I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdc
    I don't smoke weed because I don't want to ever accidentally end up liking Sublime.

God

Quote Originally Posted by Snowjoe View Post
    I don't use any skate ones anymore, although I've got back on a board again recently which is sick.

I've ended up being a mod on a huge Manchester United forum though, which I spend waaaaaaay too much time on. I somehow have 20000 posts there.

I miss the glory days here.
    Traitor!!!

For real though awesome you stepped back on the board, ive been skating alot lately, forgot how fun it is, i feel like this summer is gonna be filled with skateboarding and good times, im stoked.

Skate Pirate

I'm in a similar boat. I had a gnarly wipeout in 2014 that rendered me unable to work, and up to my eyeballs in medical debt. I've been out precisely once per year since then, but intend on getting back to a skateboarding capacity similar to what I was workin' with in 2013 and 2014 this year.

Retired Staff

I don't know if you were around when I fucked my shit up. But I fell out of a Primo stand got a Distal Radius Fracture. It took 2 plates, 5 screws and 9 months to recover. Fortunately I qualified for Medi Cal and my coworkers were able to do a little extra work so that I could still do modified duty. I show other skaters the scar and say,"Remember this when people say that freestyle skating is for pussies!"

Right now I'm on a recovery break from skating until either my knee stabilizes a bit or I can get to the store and get a knee gasket. I fell and twisted my knee ever so subtly while doing some footwork trick. I landed on by back and started laughing my ass off. A woman who was playing basketball near me asked if I was OK. I said, "Oh yeah. Fine." Got up went to try a rail spin. (Good to know I got over my fear of Primos). I started to get the spin and was balancing on one leg on the wheel and felt my knee start to give. I put out my tibia at the knee. Fortunately I go to a sports chiropractor who also works on the Oakland Raiders and members of the 49ers. The thing is that will take multiple visits to get it to stay in place.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I don't know if you were around when I fucked my shit up. But I fell out of a Primo stand got a Distal Radius Fracture. It took 2 plates, 5 screws and 9 months to recover. Fortunately I qualified for Medi Cal and my coworkers were able to do a little extra work so that I could still do modified duty. I show other skaters the scar and say,"Remember this when people say that freestyle skating is for pussies!"

Right now I'm on a recovery break from skating until either my knee stabilizes a bit or I can get to the store and get a knee gasket. I fell and twisted my knee ever so subtly while doing some footwork trick. I landed on by back and started laughing my ass off. A woman who was playing basketball near me asked if I was OK. I said, "Oh yeah. Fine." Got up went to try a rail spin. (Good to know I got over my fear of Primos). I started to get the spin and was balancing on one leg on the wheel and felt my knee start to give. I put out my tibia at the knee. Fortunately I go to a sports chiropractor who also works on the Oakland Raiders and members of the 49ers. The thing is that will take multiple visits to get it to stay in place.
    Man, that's nuts! I don't know if I was around for that...take a peek at my join date and post dates, and you'll see that I stop by once every couple years and make a few posts here and there. One of my various knee injuries happened in a flatland session, just doing some pivots...I was going for a 360 and put everything I had into the spin, wound up over-rotating and landing on the inside of my knee on the asphalt.

The injury I had in 2014 was longboarding around a park (a regular ol' park, not a skatepark), and I hit a rock with my kingpin of all things. The board shrieked to a halt, I cut my right elbow to the bone, and broke my left wrist, which required surgery (not to get too political, but my employer didn't offer insurance, so the ACA saved my ass quite a bit). Oh, and my unemployment claim actually went into legal arbitration with the state because my employer was a bucket of rotten assholes and tried to claim I was incapable of doing any work (which was nullified by every doctor I had seen).

i haven't logged in here in many years i check it every now and then though
    only other skate thing i check is reddits skatebording section
    just wanted to say you are all super duper <3

Retired Staff

I think I was either doing a switchblade or a cross foot switchblade. Here's a trick tip so you know what I'm talking about:

Cross foot you put your front foot in the middle of the board and do the rest of the trick after stepping forward with your back foot on the nose.

C/S,
    Rev J

God

Quote Originally Posted by Juan-ton View Post
    i haven't logged in here in many years i check it every now and then though
    only other skate thing i check is reddits skatebording section
    just wanted to say you are all super duper <3
    Welcome home Jun Tao

syrup sipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    I want mike to give up his hobbie of jerking off over Alf pogs and check back in for an update every now and then.

God I miss this place in its prime
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

syrup sipper

I'd throw down if paying the annual hosting fee is an issue, everyone go rummage through your moms purse and kick in what you can.

As for forums I use Reddit, an exotic car forum, and a cryptocurrency forum. I guess my tastes have changed a little bit over the years haha.
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto