Post your ride ,safety equipment ,shoes, and how they work for you

Thread: Post your ride ,safety equipment ,shoes, and how they work for you

Default Post your ride ,safety equipment ,shoes, and how they work for you

First of all ,i didnt see no post regarding equipment ,but feel free to delete if their is, just wondering what everybody is riding ,and how is working for you ,and what you think ,thanks guys ( i know ,what a noobie thing to do!!https://scontent.fsig3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...6b&oe=5A0C6FDF

Skate Pirate

I need a new skate helmet, I'm currently rocking the Bern that I bought for snowboarding.

There was a rumor that Rector pads went into government contracting for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the milsurp pads I picked up seem to confirm that...The elbow pads I bought that are actually branded as Rector are identical to the ones I bought at the surplus store. Plus, the camo pattern on my kneepads (elbows are desert tan) looks rad as hell.

I picked up a few pairs of cheapo mechanics gloves from Home Depot a few years back and made some slide gloves; handy for the downhill/longboard type skating I do. According to the orthopedic surgeon when I got my wrist operated on, those style gloves can help alleviate wrist injuries better than your typical wrist guards too. Picture falling forward on your hands...wrist guards will just stop, and you run the risk of breaking your fingers. Slide gloves take your downward motion and turn it into forward motion, so you'll skip forward and land on your elbows. Elbow pads are vital here, because you can cut to the bone just landing on your elbows like this (I did that, too...that's actually why I went to the ER when they discovered my wrist).

I have this thing where I don't pay more than $20 for skate shoes...having said that, I've rocked anything from Adio to Van's, a few odd "Hot Topic" off-brands, and am currently rocking some Nike's...not SB's, but just regular Nike street shoes.

You'll find (or I have found) that pads and protective gear is something of a joke on this site...there was actually a fairly active thread a few years ago on how to 'fake' wearing pads, to fool skatepark monitors and stuff; the right type of hat/beanie can look like a helmet, and socks with the toes cut out look enough like kneepads and elbow pads to fool skatepark staff.

Are you serious? i mean when i was young i dint care much for safety pads ect. but now is a must , i do have a cheapo helmet that im replacing as soon as i get a chance ,so im looking into those Pro-Tec ,dont know much about this brand ,but i did get good knee and elbow pads

Gravity Slave Moderator

Ride depends on what I'm skating.. Lately the Lance Mountain Mini bottom left has been what I use on my mini halfpipe. Mullen Freestyle next to it for messing around. A cruise around the block and down a few small hills could be just about anything but I do avoid high risk ventures with the more rare decks..

Shoes?? Vans 99% of the time I bother to male sure I have good skate shoes on before gabbing a deck and heading out the door.. Fallens Nike, Adidas, and DK are also nice and snug with good grip for me.. Not as big a fan of the Nike or Adidas for skating though..

Pads? I've gone through a couple helmets, being picky for a comfortable and cool fit. Otherwise I won't be as inclined to wear one when skating the ramp. I don't wear one just kicking around the block.. but I do wear one on a bike and also make my kids wear them on bikes.
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 07-17-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Earth Punk

I'm riding a Decomposed Witter Cheng freestyle board with Ace 001 trucks, Momentum/Skull Skates Kevin Harris wheels, and Decomposed Maggot Bearings. Good freestyle set up.

Protection. Ankle and Knee Gaskets from Walgreens. I put my tibia out about a month ago and have a really fucked up ankle from 30+ years of being a total klutz.

Shoes. Globe Rodney Mullen Reissues. Everything on them is about 3 or 4 layers thick with Nike style air pads in the soles. Comfy, sturdy, and really fell almost feel like they are magnetically stuck to the board.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by LucasMcCaine View Post
    Are you serious? i mean when i was young i dint care much for safety pads ect. but now is a must , i do have a cheapo helmet that im replacing as soon as i get a chance ,so im looking into those Pro-Tec ,dont know much about this brand ,but i did get good knee and elbow pads
    Yep. As skateboarding has waned over the past 5 years, a lot of those users have left the site...but, that's part of what drove me away for the first time sometime around 2008 or so. My post history on Skaterscafe is that I'll stop in for 6 months or so every 2-3 years and see what's going on.

A Pro-tec helmet is just a helmet...Good 'nuff for skateboarding, but the soft foam isn't as protective as it should be, with the tradeoff that it's a little more durable than your average bike helmet. A standard bike-rated helmet, with the hard styrofoam, is only good for one hit...but, it's really good for that one hit...Buuuuut, that one hit also includes dropping it when you're not wearing it. A Pro-tec helmet, with soft foam (Same as a 888 hard hat) is good for numerous hits, but it's not as protective overall for hard impacts. Buuuuuuuuuut, those "hard impacts" are things like collisions with cars; much harder than you're likely to find in a skateboard-type setting.

i cant post my pictures ,it says i exceed my quota of kb

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LucasMcCaine View Post
    i cant post my pictures ,it says i exceed my quota of kb
    That means the images are too big to upload. Upload them somewhere else like Instagram or Facebook and then post the links here

Hi i am new to the forum, i dont have a picture of the item yet, but i did a mad one. lately, i been dropping too much off my bike and because i am usually on t-shirts, my arms are almost just bone. no flesh. so i went crazy and got a leather jacket let see if my arms are safe now. they can now call me Mr style hahaha
    Last edited by kyan; 08-03-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: didnt want to sound like a spammer.
    have a nice day!