University/College Skating Thread

Thread: University/College Skating Thread

Post University/College Skating Thread

Anyone skate on campus? I do though it is not allowed (and you can get a 800 dollar fine!). I haven't got caught yet (thankfully).

Universities That Do Not Allow Skating:
    -California State Universities
    -Biola University
    -Fullerton College
    -Rio Hondo College
    (Help Expand The List)

Flexible Universities:
    -University Of California schools

If in doubt, check by skating on campus, and possibly only get a warning. Ask people around or if others are doing, get on that board! If caught before, try skating on the outside of campus, sidewalks, outskirts, parking lots; etc.

For the most part, High Schools do not allow skating on campus but will (sometimes) have facilities to hold skateboards.

If needing to hold it, don't mall grab! If you have a board, try putting it in between your back pack and back or hold it to the side.

If wanting to learn, use You tube and practice at home, park, skate park or parking lot at night. Ask a friend or some person to help you (most skaters are very friendly). Formal education is not recommended (because it costs money!)

Recommend boards for Skating On Campus: (Go to your local skateshop first!)
    -Penny Boards (If just for very portable transportation) www.pennyskateboards.com or use Amazon
    -Penny Long boards (If for long transportation and rough terrain) www.pennyskateboards.com or Amazon
    -Pintails Decks (For cruising, looks like a surfboard) (Amazon's Choice) https://www.amazon.com/RIMABLE-RM-LB...2%3A2661618011
    -Drop Through (For hills and various hill bombing) (Atoms is always good to look at) https://www.amazon.com/Atom-Longboar...2%3A1248957011

-Formal Skateboard (widths): (Recommend you go to Local Skateshop and try some out)(about ~100 dollar completes)
    >below-7.5 (smaller feet, smaller height)
    >7.5-8.0 (Street Skating)
    >8.5-9.0 to up (Cruising but still want that board feel and look)

-Wheels: 78a-85a duro... 60-70mm Might need some lift to avoid wheel bite with bigger wheels..

Open to editing!
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 11-15-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Wheel choice is everthing for cruising/transportation

Gravity Slave Moderator

I used to ride a 10X30 pig around campus back in the mid 80s. My friend would pull be behind his motorcycle pretty much everyday all the way across campus.. Nobody ever tried to stop us either. That was in the pre skateboards and motorcycle banned on campuses days. Kinda sucks that people freaked out about those things in the 90s but I can understand that when folks started grinding everything they could hit rather than just rolling around and dropping stuff clean we wore out our welcome in these places.

Retired Staff

Dude, only posers care if you mall grab.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

I'm in Columbia University, and I ride an electric skateboard every day. They allow it here

I actually didn't know there are university campuses that don't allow skateboards. Why would they do that? It's just a simple thing like a bicycle.

Skate Pirate

Atom Boards are usually low-quality.

Protip: Don't buy online. Talk to a local shop. They'll not only the low-down on your specific college campus, but they'll also let you put your feet on a board and see if you like it. And, BUY LOCAL! Nothing pisses a local shop more than a customer going in and getting their grubby fingerprints on everything, only to have them buy online. Also, BUY NEW. Local shops lose countless sales when their customers sell boards multiple times to other people, second-hand...especially in the longboard market, everything is more durable than street skating, so it's very easy for a board to have 3 or 4 owners. Each successive used sale is less money in the pocket of your local skateshop.

It's hard to comprehend how small a Penny board is, and that they're more difficult to ride because of their small size...plus, there's a good reason that plastic boards died out in the 70's (they suck!). Penny Boards themselves are mass-produced in China, and have not been made in Australia forever, though going back as far as 2001 and 2002, the manufacturer was contacting dozens of skate brands in the US trying to market these plastic cruisers...and the last I knew, Penny boards are the exact same board you can buy at Walmart under the name Kryptonics Torpedo (Penny have begun using their own custom-branded bearings and trucks, which are not hard to find in China, but the board itself is, to my knowledge, the same).

Colleges are very open to enhancing their students' experience. If your college doesn't allow skateboarding, work with them. Get a petition drive, and get some faculty members involved, and the campus will be much more open to discussing skateboarding rules and regulations.

Retired Staff

On top of that Penny Boards are rolling death traps. A small plastic board with no griptape, and race rated bearings is a recipe for disaster. Friends don't let friends ride penny boards.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J