Getting back into it

Thread: Getting back into it

Default Getting back into it

Hi All
    Used to skate bowels, pipe ect in the good ole 80's. Would like to get back into after 35years. I have an original Vision deck with alligator wheels, and was wondering if this will still be ok? I see most boards are 'double' kick tail now days, and was a bit uncertain if my old 'best will do. Any help would be much appreciated. Also I was thinking of trying lake Cunningham skate park in San Jose, as the bowels look old school. Do not want to be an embarrassment to the other skaters, as its been long while.

Thanks Dvae

Gravity Slave Moderator

Been there done that.. I found it was best to start back with what I was familiar with in terms of shapes. Folks at the park are usually pretty appreciative of us old schoolers.

What kind of condition is your Vision in? if it's nice you might want to just hang it on the wall and get a re issue that's similar and beat on that in the park instead of a true piece of skate history from the OG 1980s. Or, even find a used, beat up similar deck if you old one still looks nice with the graphics and all.

Popsicle shapes work well for folks who do flip tricks so it doesn't much matter if the board turns 180, 540, etc you can still have a tail to work with. The spoon nose is good for catching and landing ollies (something I still don't do). Anyway, if your deck is pretty beat already go ahead and use it. If it still looks decent, you might want to get something else similar to tear up and keep your old one hanging on the wall... or sell it if it looks really good and you need $400 bucks.

I skated some true 80s Alva decks carefully but ended up getting a Lance Mountain mini that had the graphics pretty much all gone to use in my mini ramp most of the time. Also picked up a fair condition Vex Cave for something bigger. I do still ride the stuff hanging on the wall, but not anywhere vert where a shooter could smash a nose or tail. I'd be pretty bummed if I wrecked a 35 year old deck that still looked decent before OHHHH NOOO!!!

Have fun!

Hi Mate
    Thanks for the great info. Glad I am not the only one who is getting back into it!!!
    Cheers Dave

Skate Pirate

Lake Cunningham is fuckin' GNARLY. DO IT!

Buy a new board. Old wood dries up and loses feeling, as does old urethane in the bushings and wheels. Bearings can be rehabbed, but that's a whole new task onto itself.

Vision and Alligator have both begun reissuing their old stuff, in various degrees of authenticity, but there are also TONS of new brands with plenty of old-school vibes that will do.

Check out
    http://www.stoked.la
    www.socalskateshop.com
    www.muirskate.com
    www.daddiesboardshop.com