Making your own skateboard.

Thread: Making your own skateboard.

Default Making your own skateboard.

Hi, everyone!
    I'm new to skateboarding - started last august, but I'm already thinking about making my own board. I have a carpentry and welding shop where I can work on it. Does anybody have some experience with making wooden molds, maybe even CNC files for them?

Any help will be appreciated!

Skate Pirate

Yep. What do you need to know?

Gravity Slave Moderator

The Gnarwheels crew would have that expertise. Most of the folks from here who dabbled in decks bought blanks and screened them. Not many pressed their own.

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Yep. What do you need to know?
    I would like to know how to make a precise wooden mold. diyskate.com has some ideas, but I don't see how I can make that wooden mold precise. They have a decent idea how to make concrete mold using uncut deck, but I would like to stay away from concrete, as I see it will be too heavy and not that practical to mount in press.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    The Gnarwheels crew would have that expertise. Most of the folks from here who dabbled in decks bought blanks and screened them. Not many pressed their own.
    Thanks, I will try to contact them!

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I've actually been involved in pressing boards, having had my own bro model longboard on a local brand in college. But, I'm off to work in a few minutes, so I'll get a nice response typed up when I get home tonight.

Earth Punk

Here are a couple of videos from YouTube I'm sorry my membership only allows me one vid per post:

"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Earth Punk

Here is a whole playlist on the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVs...a0z-lu7j0T_svt
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Ok, making a wooden skateboard press is/was known as the Toothless Method:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/479492691548406616

Unfortunately, the greatest board-building archive (Silverfish Longboarding) on the internet went dark last September, so thousands of posts are no more, and it's apparently really freakin' hard to find anything anymore. You might be able to filter around some of the stuff on the Pinterest page above if you're a proper Pinhead...I'm not, so I evidently can't pick through the links and see what's what.

Were it me, though, I'd go with a Roarockit vaccuum kit:
    http://www.roarockit.com/
    They have completely idiot-proof kits, and Ted is a great guy, very knowledgable, and very willing to work with his customers.

You'll want 1/16" maple, for increased stiffness and pop in a street deck. Baltic Birch is imported from Russia, and typically comes in 1mm plies; it's a little flexier and more compliant, if you're building a longboard for cruising. Be sure to alternate the grain orientation...On a standard 7-ply street deck, layers 1, 3, 5, and 7 are oriented lengthwise, and layers 2, 4, and 6 are oriented crosswise. Pre-pressed baltic birch comes that way already, as is the nature of pre-manufactured plywood. Old-school Powell/Peralta had a layer of tar paper (like you'd use on a roof) in the middle that they called Boneite.

For glue, I've always had great luck with green Titebond, though I think Roarockit recommends Gorilla brand wood glue. Dwindle Manufacturing (Element, Almost, and a few other brands) used some kind of epoxy resin, but the general consensus was that those boards were flimsy and soggy.

Talk to me again when you've built a board and want to add a graphic...I've got some hot ideas on that front, as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Here is a whole playlist on the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVs...a0z-lu7j0T_svt
    Thanks, Rev J!
    I will definitely find some useful information on those videos!

Thank you for your help, rockst*r!
    I'm a carpenter myself, so I'm familiar with plywood gluing tricks, and I'm not afraid of that part of process! I don't have access to glues you are mentioning, but as I understand, those are polyvinyl acetate glues, and I have access to those.
    The biggest concern I have is that I have to make a perfect mold to glue perfect boards, and I can't find method to make one, which I like. I will probably try diyskate.com concrete mold method, but I try to think of a different material than concrete.
    As for graphics - my sister is a graphics designer, so I'm sorted there.
    Tar paper prevents deck from braking? I'm looking to make street deck, so that would help.
    Have you made street deck, or only longboards?

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by superpelis View Post
    Thank you for your help, rockst*r!
    I'm a carpenter myself, so I'm familiar with plywood gluing tricks, and I'm not afraid of that part of process! I don't have access to glues you are mentioning, but as I understand, those are polyvinyl acetate glues, and I have access to those.
    The biggest concern I have is that I have to make a perfect mold to glue perfect boards, and I can't find method to make one, which I like. I will probably try diyskate.com concrete mold method, but I try to think of a different material than concrete.
    As for graphics - my sister is a graphics designer, so I'm sorted there.
    Tar paper prevents deck from braking? I'm looking to make street deck, so that would help.
    Have you made street deck, or only longboards?
    Roarockit always recommended using building-grade styrofoam insulation like this stuff to carve the molds out of. It should hold up for as long as you need to build individual boards...Concrete is, to my knowledge, used primarily for high-volume manufacturers; guys like SkateOne, Watson Laminates, Schmitt Stix, etc. Don't forget your 8th-grade geometry lesson...for a concentric circle (like a skateboard's concave), the inner circle will have a smaller diameter than the outer one. So, the top layer of the board (the top mold) will have to be slightly tighter than the bottom layer.

I made one street deck, that turned out poorly (due to the fact that I used crappy plywood). The kicks and concave felt nice, but the plywood I used was really brittle. Besides that, I got to oversee production of my bro model longboard that was a simpler design...purely concave, no kicktails.

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Roarockit always recommended using building-grade styrofoam insulation like this stuff to carve the molds out of. It should hold up for as long as you need to build individual boards...Concrete is, to my knowledge, used primarily for high-volume manufacturers; guys like SkateOne, Watson Laminates, Schmitt Stix, etc. Don't forget your 8th-grade geometry lesson...for a concentric circle (like a skateboard's concave), the inner circle will have a smaller diameter than the outer one. So, the top layer of the board (the top mold) will have to be slightly tighter than the bottom layer.

I made one street deck, that turned out poorly (due to the fact that I used crappy plywood). The kicks and concave felt nice, but the plywood I used was really brittle. Besides that, I got to oversee production of my bro model longboard that was a simpler design...purely concave, no kicktails.
    So, I just have to take styrofoam and try to carve it until it fits my board (one peace each side) how can I know it fits perfectly? I can probably use chalk or something like that to see where mold touches the board. Well, usually, when I'm putting effort in making something, I'm trying to do it right, and after all that effort I would like to make more than one board from those molds. Maybe I can laminate styrofoam molds?

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by superpelis View Post
    So, I just have to take styrofoam and try to carve it until it fits my board (one peace each side) how can I know it fits perfectly? I can probably use chalk or something like that to see where mold touches the board. Well, usually, when I'm putting effort in making something, I'm trying to do it right, and after all that effort I would like to make more than one board from those molds. Maybe I can laminate styrofoam molds?
    Yep, carve it and shape it. It'll hold up for dozens of boards, but will start to sag eventually. Are you trying to the shape or concave of a particular brand, or just looking to do your own thing?

Well, that's another problem. I have owned only one deck so far, so I don't know.

Earth Punk

I would suggest doing the Styrofoam thing too as there is bound to be trial and error as to how it feels and turns out. If you end up having to try multiple ones it is better and cheaper to do it with Styrofoam than concrete.

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I would suggest doing the Styrofoam thing too as there is bound to be trial and error as to how it feels and turns out. If you end up having to try multiple ones it is better and cheaper to do it with Styrofoam than concrete.
    Thank you, I will think about it!