Anyone still around?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Anyone still around?

  1. #1
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default Anyone still around?

    I know I'm new here and all and I guess I came at the wrong time which is too bad cause this places looks like it was popping. Its sucks cause I'm starting to get into skating and this looks like it has potential to help me progress and meet other skaters around my area to skate with as well as others from all around the world

  2. #2
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    I know I'm new here and all and I guess I came at the wrong time which is too bad cause this places looks like it was popping. Its sucks cause I'm starting to get into skating and this looks like it has potential to help me progress and meet other skaters around my area to skate with as well as others from all around the world
    I'm here! I'm not in Oklahoma though. I have no idea if there are any hotbeds of skateboard activity online anymore, outside of Facebook and Reddit. Unfortunately, skateboarding on the whole seems to have peaked around 3-4 years ago and has been in decline ever since.

  3. #3
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    That's cool as long as their are people to connect with and talk about skating with

  4. #4
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    That's cool as long as their are people to connect with and talk about skating with
    So what kind of board do you ride?

    What are your favorite trucks? Bearings? Wheels?

  5. #5
    God
    Dr_Feelgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,689

    Default



    We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

  6. #6
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Hell Yeah we got the DR

  7. #7
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    So what kind of board do you ride?

    What are your favorite trucks? Bearings? Wheels?
    I actually have not bought myself a new deck yet. Certain setup you recommend without costing an arm, leg, or my first born?

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Shorty's_Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Age
    27
    Posts
    11,634

    Default

    I'm around. Also not in oklahoma, I'm an Arizonian. but I'm around!

    This website was definitely popping back in the day, it's died out like most forums in the last few years though. There's still a few of us who kick it though!

  9. #9
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Head to your local skateshop. I don't care if it's a Zumiez or other chain, but it's probably better to find a hole in the wall shop. Get your feet on some boards and see what is most comfortable for you...if the board isn't comfortable to ride, then you won't ride it.

    Trucks arguably make the biggest difference in ride quality. I like Independents, but those need some tuning to get dialed in nicely (specifically, some harder bushings). Ventures are a lot more ready to ride, but don't turn as quickly as Indy's do.

    Wheels are the second in the line of making a difference in the ride. Super hard wheels like Spitfire Parkburners and Bones SPF are lightning fast on glassy-smooth surfaces like a tennis court or a skatepark, but will rattle your fillings out and could actually slow you down on rougher surfaces like a sidewalk. 95a and softer is where you get into Element All Terrains, Bones ATFs, and Rainskates green formula. These are compliant enough to give a comfortable ride on sidewalks and stuff, at the sacrifice of balls-out speed in parks. 88a to 94a is kind of a weird no-man's-land for wheels, there's not a lot on the market...then once you dip softer than 87a, you're into cruiser and filmer territory. Buttery smooth ride on every surface, grippy on everything, but can be slow and sluggish.

    I treat bearings as expendable. The second that you stand on the board, you'll put side pressure on the bearings, which they're not designed for. The first time you roll on them, you've destroyed any precision at all. However, they're still important in the wheel/truck interface. I like Toy Machine T-Sects and Indy 7's for bearings, but Bones Reds are pretty damn awesome as well. Make sure you get bearing spacers and use them! They'll hold the bearings solid and can actually cut down on bearing wear, and increase longevity at the same time. Speed rings keep a millimeter of space between the bearings and axle nuts or truck face, allowing them to spin freely.

    Griptape and hardware are basically non-issue. I like Mob Grip, which is lightly perforated and allows you to smooth out bubbles easily, but literally anything at the skateshop will do if the knob behind the counter knows what he's doing.

    That whole board will probably set you back $150 or so.

  10. #10
    Retired Staff

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    Granted I live in a skate Mecca area so finding other skaters to interact with is pretty easy for me. Ironically skating for me is a solitary activity. But looking at the history of skating it's popularity seems to go in 10 year cycles. You can almost make an infographic of it. It usually peaks mid decade and is at a low point at the beginning of a decade.

    As for forums dying. I'm sorry I haven't gone on this rant in a while and some of the older members get annoyed by it but anyway.

    If you Google skateboarding forums Skateboard-City comes out at the top of the list. If you go on there it is like crossing a retirement home with a junior high lunch room. A bunch of guys who joined 10 years ago who don't skate anymore who choose a group of others to use as their punching bag.

    The thing is that most people are lazy and will stop looking for other sites after the first one. So any other site down the list is going to take a hit.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

    I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

    C/S,
    Rev J

  11. #11
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Head to your local skateshop. I don't care if it's a Zumiez or other chain, but it's probably better to find a hole in the wall shop. Get your feet on some boards and see what is most comfortable for you...if the board isn't comfortable to ride, then you won't ride it.

    Trucks arguably make the biggest difference in ride quality. I like Independents, but those need some tuning to get dialed in nicely (specifically, some harder bushings). Ventures are a lot more ready to ride, but don't turn as quickly as Indy's do.

    Wheels are the second in the line of making a difference in the ride. Super hard wheels like Spitfire Parkburners and Bones SPF are lightning fast on glassy-smooth surfaces like a tennis court or a skatepark, but will rattle your fillings out and could actually slow you down on rougher surfaces like a sidewalk. 95a and softer is where you get into Element All Terrains, Bones ATFs, and Rainskates green formula. These are compliant enough to give a comfortable ride on sidewalks and stuff, at the sacrifice of balls-out speed in parks. 88a to 94a is kind of a weird no-man's-land for wheels, there's not a lot on the market...then once you dip softer than 87a, you're into cruiser and filmer territory. Buttery smooth ride on every surface, grippy on everything, but can be slow and sluggish.

    I treat bearings as expendable. The second that you stand on the board, you'll put side pressure on the bearings, which they're not designed for. The first time you roll on them, you've destroyed any precision at all. However, they're still important in the wheel/truck interface. I like Toy Machine T-Sects and Indy 7's for bearings, but Bones Reds are pretty damn awesome as well. Make sure you get bearing spacers and use them! They'll hold the bearings solid and can actually cut down on bearing wear, and increase longevity at the same time. Speed rings keep a millimeter of space between the bearings and axle nuts or truck face, allowing them to spin freely.

    Griptape and hardware are basically non-issue. I like Mob Grip, which is lightly perforated and allows you to smooth out bubbles easily, but literally anything at the skateshop will do if the knob behind the counter knows what he's doing.

    That whole board will probably set you back $150 or so.
    Appreciate it! Zumiez is the only local option for me to get good quality gear anyways. The other option is online I really don't care for zumiez to be honest its mostly tweens that shop there. I will go there and see what I can find

  12. #12
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    Appreciate it! Zumiez is the only local option for me to get good quality gear anyways. The other option is online I really don't care for zumiez to be honest its mostly tweens that shop there. I will go there and see what I can find
    I used to work in a skateshop, so I am notably biased...But, especially for your first board, it's important to be able to touch and feel the board and components. And please, PLEASE don't go into a shop to try stuff out and get your greasy fingerprints all over it (and return it to the rack upside down and backwards), then buy it online for cheaper.

    Here's a little diagram illustrating the truck/bearing/wheel interface:


    This one is missing the nice caption, but illustrates the same thing:


    Let me know if you want to see more diagrams, I've got dozens.

  13. #13
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    So far so good. I skated in my teens years but then quit for some reason and now I want to get back into it

  14. #14
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,584

    Default

    If there aren't any good skate shops on OKC look online or even at used stuff on CraigsList or something. I lived in Norman in the early 80s and still have a few friends in the OKC area. All I know there these days is that Leo's is still the best place for BBQ..

  15. #15
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    If there aren't any good skate shops on OKC look online or even at used stuff on CraigsList or something. I lived in Norman in the early 80s and still have a few friends in the OKC area. All I know there these days is that Leo's is still the best place for BBQ..
    There was at one point a very vibrant downhill, ditch, and longboard scene in and around Norman OK...though a quick Google search turns up nothing.

  16. #16
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    There was at one point a very vibrant downhill, ditch, and longboard scene in and around Norman OK...though a quick Google search turns up nothing.
    You sure about that? There are ZERO hills in or around Norman, OK. We skated the university parking decks for cruising when I lived in Norman. I do remember one time we went to south base, an abandoned military site, and tried to skate an old pool there.. didn't go well hahaha.. too steep.

    Now, TULSA is a hopping town with good terrain and the demographics where that culture would thrive.

  17. #17
    Skate Pirate
    rockst*r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wearing socks on my elbows
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You sure about that? There are ZERO hills in or around Norman, OK. We skated the university parking decks for cruising when I lived in Norman. I do remember one time we went to south base, an abandoned military site, and tried to skate an old pool there.. didn't go well hahaha.. too steep.

    Now, TULSA is a hopping town with good terrain and the demographics where that culture would thrive.
    Yeah, Pressure Drop Longboards was based out of Oklahoma and one of their big name riders was from Norman...Doug something-or-other. Pressure Drop made some absolutely SICK longboards with Formica bottoms, and for a great price as well (in 2007 dollars).

    Are there ditches in the area?

  18. #18
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    If there aren't any good skate shops on OKC look online or even at used stuff on CraigsList or something. I lived in Norman in the early 80s and still have a few friends in the OKC area. All I know there these days is that Leo's is still the best place for BBQ..
    Really!? I live just outside of Norman between Moore and Norman. Their is a skate shop on the north side of town near Edmond its a little bit of a drive but might check into it. Leos is amazing but IMO the best BBQ in OK is in a little town called Davis and they smokin joes

  19. #19
    Active Member Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You sure about that? There are ZERO hills in or around Norman, OK. We skated the university parking decks for cruising when I lived in Norman. I do remember one time we went to south base, an abandoned military site, and tried to skate an old pool there.. didn't go well hahaha.. too steep.

    Now, TULSA is a hopping town with good terrain and the demographics where that culture would thrive.
    Yea Tulsa would be nice. Now and a guys it would be difficult to skate around campus too much going on, They do have a skatepark that is just down the street from the football stadium

  20. #20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •