Way old, old skool skater, needs help choosing a few new skate decks.

Thread: Way old, old skool skater, needs help choosing a few new skate decks.

Default Way old, old skool skater, needs help choosing a few new skate decks.

I've taken breaks off and on, but, I always end up coming back to skating or riding my BMX or Freestyle bikes. Been snow boarding since I was 13, so I know what's good there. I can only do some really old skool skate tricks, nothing you guys would be remotely interested in, or possibly even heard of. Boneless One, Acid and Bomb drops, Ollie of course, and Kick Flips. I still have 4 of my old boards, from when I was a kid, that I still skate with. A Sims Taperkick 10.0, (My first real skateboard. Prior to that I learned on and old plastic banana board. "Grip tape? What the hell is that?"), A G&S Billy Ruff, a Sims Lester Kasai, and a Sims Hasoi Hammerhead.

Anyway, I've decided to finally get a modern freestyle board, as well as a long board. I'd just like to know what are the best, or most popular decks out there for each type, meaning brand and model please. I want to hear from people who way younger than myself, because you guys know what's good and what's not, like I used to know, back in theeee day. Thanks...

Skate Pirate

I've got a few links I want to send, but I'm at work right meow. I'll circle back when I get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    I've got a few links I want to send, but I'm at work right meow. I'll circle back when I get home tonight.

Great, thank you!

Skate Pirate

Take a peek at these two sites:
    http://socalskateshop.com/index.php
    https://www.muirskate.com/

"Best" is horribly subjective, and "most popular" isn't the best reason to pursue a skateboard...the most important thing is to make sure that you're comfortable riding it. If you're not enjoying it, you're not going to ride it. Skateboarding is in a slump right now, and as a result, brands are trying a lot of new things. So, there are a lot of shaped decks on the market these days; you're no longer bound by a 31" popsicle stick deck. Personally, I'm a fanboy of Earthwing Skates, which is a brand out of Atlanta, and is sold primarily at Muir Skate.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Rev_J to the white courtesy phone please!!!

Welcome to the forum. I tried to revisit freestyle about 10 years ago but quickly found my balance is done. Still like to ride and do easy stuff though.. Another old school gear fan here..

Logans

Ankle hatchets

Freestyle/Reissue type stuff..

I don't have any Sims decks, don't think I've ever owned any... Wish I had, always thought they were nice!

Earth Punk

For Freestyle stuff I usually hit eBay. My last 2 decks I got for about $17 plus shipping. The sellers name is dxsxfx I believe. I know it's Witter Cheng who runs Decomposed Skateboards. He's got a good selection of stuff on his site but the ordering system is a little clunky.

That said his customer service is off the hook. In the past he's done shit for me that is off the hook.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

WOW! I had no idea I'd have this much response! Thanks a lot guys. Good to see I'm not the only older dude still skating. I should've said, I was looking for a more street skate board, but, their all so closely akin to each other. Like you guys, the boards went from skinny, some wood, some plastic, some aluminum, then I think there was a sort of in-between period briefly, then, everything was wide, thick, and heavy, as about the first time I was getting out of skating, half pipe was king at the time. I can't complain, especially seeing all these re-issue boards that are around now. They really are pieces of art to look at now. There was one other board I had, that I forgot to mention. It was right before I got my Taperkick. Forgive me if I get the brand or model wrong, but, I want to say Hobie possibly, Makaha? It was all black, plastic, and relatively wide. I snapped it landing on flat street, from a 5 foot high chipped up construction scrap, thick board with anything and everything stuck underneath it to make it as tall as possible. You guys remember the days...

No pads, no helmet, Gotcha bermuda clam diggers, old ass'd Vans shoes, and balls. That was it, lol.

Rockst*r, once I wrote that, about the popular or best, I really felt foolish when I started the thread. You're absolutely right. I was thinking back to my days, which are the same as a lot of yours on this thread, and thought, "Popular? Best? Did I really say that?" We had
    Sims, G&S, Santa Cruze, Vision, Powell/Peralta, and I know I'm leaving some out, no disrespect, I just can't remember all of them. Digressing back, that's exactly what it was all about. What board you liked, and how it felt to ride. Now the market has to be crazy as to how many board companies are out there making quality decks. The only truck companies I remember were Gullwing and Independent. I always used Independents, even though they were heavier than Gullwings. Wheel, I I can't remember all the names, as there were a ton back then, and I can't even imagine how many there are now. I WILL, check out those links.

Rev J, Thanks for the suggestion of checking out dxsxfx, I'll look up his name or store if he has one on eBay. Customer service means a shit ton to me. Most people don't even know what the hell it really is anymore.

I've thought about maybe just making my own Long Board, as I do woodworking for a living. But, I know I'd have to go through a lot shapes and different layers of woods, to find the right feel. So, I'd rather patronize some other hard working guy, or factory, that have done all the research.

You guys have no idea, how much you've helped, and I'm enjoying the conversation starters as well. Thank you. If you have a regular conversation thread started for us older skaters, I'd love to have that link and join in, as I don't want to go off topic.

NoSwitch, I'm jealous. That's an insane collection. Love it. I see you even have a little Vinyl collection too. Probably just a small sample of how much you really have. No worries on the Sims stuff, I wish I had on old Alva board, like you have several of.

Earth Punk

Just search "Freestyle Skateboard" in Outdoor Sports on eBay.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Just search "Freestyle Skateboard" in Outdoor Sports on eBay.
    Will do, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Capgun View Post
    Will do, thanks!

Rev J, there are 398 results, but, I can't tell who is sell what. Can you send a link please? Thanks...

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Capgun View Post
    Rev J, there are 398 results, but, I can't tell who is sell what. Can you send a link please? Thanks...
    Sure. most of the stuff that is "Decomposed" is him. Here's one of the postings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/skateboard-...AZxS:rk:2:pf:0

It's an old school single kick built to the same specs as the Powell and Peralta one.

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Sure. most of the stuff that is "Decomposed" is him. Here's one of the postings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/skateboard-...AZxS:rk:2:pf:0

It's an old school single kick built to the same specs as the Powell and Peralta one.
    Thank you. I'll be looking now.

Gravity Slave Moderator

If you're still looking for a modern freestyle rig here's a good value.. $115 shipped

skateboard TRACKER 7.25" complete freestyle rodney mullen deck flatland kids new

Earth Punk

C/S,
    Rev J