Introduction with questions (bad mix?)

Thread: Introduction with questions (bad mix?)

Woot Introduction with questions (bad mix?)

Hello guys! Just registered on the forum. I used to skate when I was a kid, but even if I stopped years and years ago, I never stopped enjoying videos of skaters doing tricks. Somehow, the passion was still there, under the ash.
    The last deck I've bought was a Julien Stranger slick with the wolves... made in 1994, go figure. I was 13 at the time, pretty short and lightweight. Now I'm 37, I'm 181cm, US13 size shoes and weigh 85kg. I love working out with weights... so yeah, probably not the best physical combo to skate, I know.
    Anyway, I'd really like to kinda get back into skateboarding. Nothing too fancy, mind you... I'd just like to be able to land a few stricks. To be honest, I live in a smallest town and wouldn't really go out with the skate under my arm to try and jump on a bench... but I'd like to do some tricks just for the pleasure of doing it, indoor.

I'm actually watching several videos on youtube... in particular the videos of the Braille crew. They're pretty helpful!

This was my situation: the Julien Stranger deck with worn griptape, Gullwing trucks needing new bushings, 50mm wheels with decent bearings. I also have an oldest set of Gullwing 169s, not sure of the exact model.
    I really struggle staying on the deck as it's waaaaaay to small for my huge feet (US13 size on an 8" deck!) so I've got a 9.75" Polar Skate Co. Dane Brady). I still don't know if I should try to put together these 169s with new bushings/kingpins etc. or if I should buy wider Independent 215s... I find really weird a good set of bushing is 20 bucks when a set of trucks is 60 or so.

Any advice for me? At the moment I'm trying to get into ollie again, but I practice on a carpet to keep the noise down LOL. I know, it sounds kinda lame.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Flip the deck on it's side and see if the axles are fairly close to the width of the deck. I think 215s when the deck's more up around 11 or 12" wide, Dogtown Bigfoot, Alva Power Stations, etc. I think 169s would be good with stuff between 8.5 and 10 inches. Get some bigger wheels, 57mm-60mm. Those little 50mms are good for nothing except landing sketchy tricks. Get something that's better for cruising around on and park skating.

Thanks for your reply! The deck should show up tomorrow, I'll certainly check if the dismounted Gullwing I have here are wide enough... but have to admit that it feels kinda weird to spend 20 bucks on a rebuild kit (bushings, pivots etc.) while a new set of trucks would cost 60 or so. Also, these 169s are pretty high (they kinda incorporate the shims), so I'm not a huge fan.
    Yeah, as I said I wouldn't use the skate to cruise around... I'm mainly interested in learning a few tricks, maybe doing some freestyle... something like that. That's why I'm not very interested in bigger wheels. The ones I have I think were "Salman Agah" from Real or something like that? The writing on them is looong gone. Definitely different times LOL.
    What I know for sure is the 8" deck I have feels way too small. And even when I try to make a "primo stall", the smallest wheels won't help lol. And the worn griptape makes my ollie even worse... go figure :-p
    I'm not a bit too big and heavy for this, so I don't really expect miracles, mind you. But I really felt I needed a different setup. Strange but true, the Strange deck is considered "common" (so not rare) but I've never seen another one and even while searching with Google, it's not easy to find.

Skate Pirate

Italy? I'm not sure how import/VAT stuff works, but my imaginary friend Tony Gale runs his shop out of the UK and can help you out https://offsetskatesupply.co.uk/
    Otherwise, Noswitch has some completely solid advice. He's a smart cookie.