January Memeber of the Month - Nathan!

Thread: January Memeber of the Month - Nathan!

Thumbs up January Memeber of the Month - Nathan!

Words- Matt Warner (Skate4God)

(NEW VIDEO of Nathan at the bottom of this page!)

Nathan is a really cool guy. I pretty much skate with him like twice a week. So I know him pretty well. I remember the first time I saw Nathan. It was for the tryouts of the skateboarding Ministry we are both on, about 2 years ago. I was waiting in line to sign up, and this guy comes in and gets in line right behind me. I remember seeing his board, and how small it was with no tail and weird plastic things on the front and back of the board. I was wondering what kind of board that was. Later on I found out that it was a freestyle board. But anyway, since he was in line right behind me, we were both in the same heat, and had to skate with about 4 other guys. I did my thing and tried my tricks, but I noticed that guy behind me was doing handstands, and other weird tricks to the side of the ramps. I didn’t really pay attention to it, and I kept on skating. After the tryouts, I didn’t make it, but Nathan did. It wasn’t till the next year, that I actually met Nathan, and talked to him. I went to the skate park, to skate and to meet Ryan (skateaws44. Who also is on SouthTown) When I was going into the park, I heard this guy’s voice say “Hey Matt!” I looked behind me and it was Nathan. I talked to Nathan a lot on here (Skaters Café) so I knew who he was. I talked to him for a few second and then went inside to skate. About a month later, South Town wanted me to try out again, and I saw Nathan again at the tryouts. I eventually made it on to South Town, and we have been pretty good friends ever since.

1. Ok, first off, what’s your name, where you live, and how long you been skating?
    Nathan Abplanalp, Fort Mill SC, and I've been skating since August 28th 2002.

2. How did you find out about the Café, and what’s your favorite thing about it?

I saw a poster in my local skatepark that described the Cafe and just checked it out. I like how everything is pretty mellow and flame wars are quickly extinguished by unbiased mods.

Yeah man. I love how we all get along pretty well.
    This forum seems to be made up of more mature skaters that are here to further relationships within the skating world and not just screaming foul words at each other.

3. You have a favorite member?
    Mostly anybody that I know personally. Fremry is a favorite member because of his in depth posts and Sumner! because of his passion for God and knowledge of scriptures.

Oh and Ray, naturally, for setting this all up.

Haha, yeah. Thanks Ray!

4. What kind of music are you into?
    I'm really into Jars Of Clay, Nickel Creek, Blind Boys Of Alabama, Rich Mullins. I really like bands that can make every song an award winner in my eyes. They all have so much talent.
    I really like the music that involves more than just a guitar, bass, and drums. Where a song is a composition of lots of elements and uses a combination of new and old styles to make something unique.

5. You have quite a bit of skate videos. Which ones you’re favorite?
    Usually its the most recent video. I really like anything with skaters that are pushing the limits of skating and that usually comes down to techy guys. Daewon Song, Rodney Mullen, and Chris Haslam never cease to wow me.

Yeah the Almost team rocks

Yeah, Round 3 is pretty sick. Haslams part was crazy
    If you can get any of the new footage of Haslam you'll really see how amazing he is.

6. Besides skating, what do you do in your spare time?
    Take photos of people skateboarding and work at Starbucks. Gotta get money to support my skating and picture taking. ha ha.

7. You do a lot of “different” tricks. Tricks I never seen done, besides when you do them. What makes you want to do those tricks and how do you learn them?
    I think that to stand out and be who you really are you need to do tricks that express your personality. I like complex systems and taking things apart so these tricks kind of show that I like breaking down basic tricks and adding my own ideas to them.

8. You have some sick videos that you post up on this site. And every one seems to love them. When are you going to post up a new video of you skating?
    fairly soon I've been slowly collecting footage over the past months. I haven't had a chance to film until recently

sweet. I have seen some of your more recent footage and it looks awesome. A lot of unique spots.

yeah but no new tricks haha

9. What motivated you to skate freestyle in the first place?
    I was scared of street because early on in my skating I had some nasty injuries. I chipped my front tooth and tore open my chin so I became pretty cautious. I also had a church right behind my house with expansive parking lots so there was a lot of space to just cruise around an practice tricks

10. Do you skate street and vert now, along with freestyle?
    Tranny is still really hard for me but street is coming along. Stairs are my weak point but I'm not too bad at ledges. Banks are my favorite now though.

11. What’s your favorite Magazine?
    I really like any photography magazine and skate magazine. My favorite though have to be modern home design magazines because they give me great ideas for pictures and I like the architecture. I know I'm weird.

12. Haha, well speaking of Photography, your really good at it. Are you going to be taking photography in college?
    Yeah, I would like to do it professionally. There is so much I have to learn about it and that gets me hyped to go and shoot more.

13. What’s your favorite photograph that you’ve taken?
    Oh man, I have no clue. One that comes to mind is the picture of you (Matt) doing the gap at KONA Skate Park from the half-pipe to the deck. But I can't think of the best right now.

Sweet. I like that picture too. It’s probably my favorite out of all the ones you have taken of me.

Yeah, I took a lot of good pics that trip and you guys skated exceedingly well.

14. Yeah, that was a awesome trip. So much fun. But anyways, What got you into skating?
    Well, I bought a pair of skate shoes because they were really comfortable and people kept asking me if I skated. I got sick of saying "no" so I bought a board for my birthday. I found I could do it fairly easily then things just rocketed off from there.

15. You can do impressions really good. It’s so funny when you imitate some one or some Character, because you sound or look exactly like them. How did you get so good at that?
    We were pretty poor when I was younger so my brother and I just had to impersonate characters to keep ourselves occupied. So making sound effects and voices is still something I do today. Its fun doing weird stuff like that

16. Where do you see yourself in 10 years, both in life and skateboarding?
    I see myself hanging with the people who I am around right now skating, filming, and representing Jesus. I also hope I'll be happily married.

Dang man, you’ll almost be 30 by then. Its weird to think about that.

Yeah but I'm totally stoked on these upcoming years. That’s when you do the most growing up and set yourself up for the rest of your life. I want to make the best of it.

17. Who do you look up to? And how have they affected you?
    I really look up to everyone on SouthTown Riders. They took me into their ministry and totally changed my life around. All the guys on the skate team of SouthTown are the coolest guys ever and I love hanging out with them. Probably my biggest influence has been my friend Scott Jones. He has been my friend for a couple years now. He is never swayed by the rotten stuff people do around him. He is such a great guy he is almost like a mentor to me. Even though he is like 2 years younger than me.

18. Yeah, Scott is a great guy, So what’s your favorite books/movies?
    I really like books that are classics like anything by C.S. Lewis or Tolkien. William Goldman's The Princess Bride is and awesome book and movie. Back to the Future has always been a favorite trilogy of mine, mostly because of the DeLorean.
    Anything by Tim Burton is fantastic and I really enjoy musicals.

19. A lot of people asked this question so I had to add it in here, and I already asked a question similar to this but, what’s your favorite band?
    That changes almost monthly. Right now Nickel Creek is my favorite but they did just release a new album. Some other tops are Ill Harmonics, Jars of Clay, and Gorillaz but those are mostly select songs from each.

20. Ok, last question. What suits you better? The glass is half full? Or half empty?
    Half full totally.

If you want to see Nathans new video then you can download it here Or you can view it at you tube

Congrats nathan.

Very well done Matt. I love the video Nathan as well! Great stuff guys!

R.I.P Jesushadherpes

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo Nate!!!!!!!!!

well done nathan. you deserved it.
    R.I.P. Jake "JHH" Miller. Always remember those late night Halo 3 drunk as balls matches!

Here's to a guy with 10 times my skill on a board, while I have 10 times his ego. Legendary skater, legendary guy! Congrats Nathan, you totally deserved this one!!
    Stationary shove it while not even rolling club: Daniel Jones

Ditto that. Great bio; those videos of yours act as inspiration to us all, until we, well, I, actually stand on the thing .
    Congrats, and great job ole chap!

Marko.

Congrates nate-O mate!

And great job on the interveiw matt!

SSR
    R.I.P Reid Menzer (1991-2006) and Shane Cross (1986-2007) You guys will never be forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Customgriptape
    As for my opinion? It looks about as ridiculous as a Dodge Neon with a racing spoiler on it.

Yeahh Nate You Deserve It!! Yeah!!

you deserve it
    The more speed, the better.

I like how reading this changed my opion alot about you.

How surprised was I to see my name in here? Thanks man, but you blow me out of the water with your insane freestyle.

Nathan is an awsoem skaters and a great guy to meet in person. When he started skating street and adding his freestyle skills I knew it would be awsome...and he is!

Keep up the good work Nathan!

Good Job, Nate.

That interview was extremely interesting as well as inspirational. You are an extremely stylish skater and can't wait to see you on here again. After watching that movie of yours I just sat back and said WOW. You reminded me of Rodney Mullen in a lot of those shots. Keep up the good work man!

nice style i like the urban/sewer resevior part thats relly cool congrats

great, eloquent interview. props to you both...

and

...sick video. very "surfy" style. i like!
    \m/ \m/

This is tight i wanna be member of the month

good answers and well explained