August member of the month - Necromortis!.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August member of the month - Necromortis!.

Default August member of the month - Necromortis!.

You voted for him, you asked the questions, you get the answer's!. Ladies and gentlemen, my buddy Christian, you all know him as Necro...give it up for Necromortis!, August member of the month.

We both sat down, and i have buckets load's of fun interveiwing him, Necro is a interesting guy, with lots to say. Enjoy!.

~Soap.

1) Its a clichť question for freestylers, but what made you start freestyling?

What made me start freestyling? Oh god I donít even rememberÖheh. To be perfectly honest, I just wasnít having too much fun skating street. It got boring and repetitive for me, and so I was open to all options.

I didnít know of any skate parks near me, so vert, bowl, and mini were just about out, and so I started talking to the fabulous Daniel Jones and Tony Gale, and they pushed me to try out some more freestyle than I already was. The more I did it the more I liked it, and then I heard that there was a freestyle pro in my area who held freestyle jams every Sunday. Now I skate with Gary Holl other guys who show up every Sunday.

Then I completely switched over and bought my first freestyle deck (which, for anyone that cares, was a Sk8kings Gary Holl Pro Model, with Indy 129mm trucks and Sk8kings wheels, (Gary gave me the wheels for free!).

2) What is the ďoneĒ trick that is stuck in your head, mind and dreams that you just canít seem to figure out on the wood?

Do I have to limit it to one trick? There are so many *laughs* Iíve got some completely outrageous tricks in my mind and dreams, but they shall remain mostly secret for the moment (until I land themÖwhich is unlikely). Iíll reveal one of them, the cooler one shall remain a secret Ė handstand 360 spins. God I want that trick so badly.

Tricks that have been done though Ė I canít figure out any Frontside Nose Shove-It that rotates more than 180 degrees. I can spin them perfectly, but my back foot always lands off the board or with tail drag. Thatís subconscious fear if anything is.

Butterflips too Ė that trick just doesnít like me I swear. Iím so close to it (Iíve landed it a few times actually), but so far as well. Thatís one trick that just makes me go *grr*.

3) How does it feel, after all the blood, sweat, and tears to finally win member of the month?

Heh. What blood, sweat, and tears?

I feel kinda special, but at the same time not. I mean, I got pretty close for a few months in a row, and now I won. Iím just grateful you guys voted me in! Thanks guys, it means a lot. I hope you enjoy my answersÖ

4) If you could have anything in the world, where money is no object, and everything is offered to you, what would it be?

Oh wow, this oneís a very hard question. I could say something cheesy about me being with my friends and girlfriend all the time, but who wants cheesy answers? Theyíre boring!

Itís actually one of my dreams to be able to visit every continent on the planet. I was born in Africa, so thatís covered, and Iíve been to various places in Europe, so thatís also covered. Been to China and Thailand, so Asiaís out. I live in America, so thatís North America. Iíve been to Argentina with my mom, and Iím going again with school in my Senior Year, so South America is down. So itís just Australia and Antarctica that I have to visit! Iíd love to be able to stay at least one week in those two places, thatíd be awesome.

There are also a rather large amount of people that I really want a chance to meet, so thatís also a factor. But that dream might actually be realized at the US Championships in May next year, so for the moment, letís go with the first dream.

5) If you could take 5 things into your elevator, and be locked up in it for a week, what would you take?

How big is the elevator? *grins*. Assuming the elevator is large (because itís more fun like that), Iíd probably bring:

-An infinite amount of food and utilities to cook/eat it with
    -My computer (with a strong wireless network connection to the internet).
    -A bed/sleeping bag and mattress Ė comfy nights!
    -Does my girlfriend count as a thing? Iíd love her to be there to
    -My board. That or hygiene necessities, but thereís no water in an elevator. So if itís big enough, my board.

6) What inspires you? What keeps you going everyday and looking forward to the next? Do you believe in a higher power, or that this life is it? What is your inspiration?

Ok, long answer ahead Ė donít say you werenít warned. Iíll treat each part of this question separately.

What inspires me in general, or what inspires me to skate? Iíll answer both I guess, starting with my skating inspiration.

Skating inspires me to skate more Ė itís so much fun, and the freedom and the feeling you get while skating is so indescribableÖitís like my drug. And then all my friends and peers inspire me. Theyíll give me ideas or encourage me when I talk about what Iím trying/what I want to do. The other day I showed Mike Green the wallrun footage and he said, ĎWow thatís sweet. Iíd love to see a handflip in there.í I was totally inspired and immediately went out and tried it Ė and I got it on film just for him. So my friends and peers are a great inspiration to me when I skate Ė theyíre really supportive. Everyone should have at least one guy saying ĎDo it!í when you tell them about a trick you want to try. Finally, the feeling of landing tricks, be them new or oldÖjust the best.

As for my day to day inspiration Ė the desire to succeed and make the most of my life before I die definitely is a great inspiration (and motivation for me). I have just as many dreams as the next person, and the desire to make them happen is always an inspiration for me to wake up, get out of bed, and take on the world (and that doesnít sound cheesy at allÖ). Life is too much fun to sit around and squander your time away doing nothing or moping around Ė ĎCarpe Diemí everybody, Carpe Diem.

As for my religious beliefs Ė Iím comfortable telling you guys since I know that the Cafť wonít ridicule me for them. Iíve gotten quite a lot of crap for them in the past. I really follow my own religion Ė the majority is Nordic (old Scandinavian), with some Taoist, Confucian, and Buddhist principles. Itís rather hard to explain without writing an essay, so Iíll leave it at that. But Iím polytheistic and I believe in an afterlife. Hope you guys donít think Iím too weird now.

7) What is your everyday lifestyle?

My everyday lifestyle? Itís so varied. I obviously go to school, so thatís a big factor. My typical day will look something like this:

Wake up and shower, and then eat breakfast. Brush my teeth and go to school. Iíll bum out on the internet during boring parts of class, Iíll learn, etc. Iíll come home and do the homework I didnít manage to finish in class. Then Iíll skate until dinnertime (my family eats dinner late, starting anywhere from 8:30-10:30). After dinner Iíll go on the computer, maybe work ahead in school, go on the Cafť, chill, talk to people, bum out, and play guitar, etc. before going to sleep.

Like I said, itís pretty varied.

8) If you could spend one day with any skater, whether it be a professional or a member of the cafť, who would it be and what would you do?

Oh man I canít just limit to one. Skating has made me so many friends and I canít really put anyone over the other. So here are the people Iíd most like to spend a day with:

Tony Gale: One of two guys who got me into freestyling, and continues to push me forward. Great guy and Iíd love to skate with him. If I were to meet him, Iíd skate with him for most of the day, and then play guitar with him and just chill in the late afternoon.

Daniel Jones: Again, one of two guys who got me freestyling. Heís a great guy and one of my best friends, even though Iíve never met him. Heís so creative and Iíd love to sit down and talk with him about all kinds of things. So if I met him, Iíd do just that. And skate with him.

Jesse Whalen and Mike Green: These two guys are great to talk to about anything really, and theyíre really supportive/encouraging of whatever Iím doing in my skating. Iíd like to meet them individually and skate and talk with them. But Iíd also like to have one big Meta session with them and Tony Gale as well.

Mike (Pathtek4) and Tom (soap): Two amazing guys who can never fail to make me laugh. Iíd love to skate with them. Teach them to freestyle, and maybe theyíll teach me how to love ollies! I donít know, Iíd love to talk to both of them face to face as well.

Rodney Mullen: Good god this guy is insane, and heís done so much for skating. I just want to shake his hand. Maybe Iíll get him to teach me how to land things in a nose wheelieÖ

Thatís about it Ė I donít just want to meet these guys so I can skate with them. I want to have the chance to talk to them as well.

9) How do you deal with the fact that some people think your freestyle skating is 'dull', because they think street skating is the only right way to skate?

I just ignore them really. The people who tell me that freestyle is lame because there arenít any sets, grinds, or because I donít ollie are just ignorant in my opinion. I find that generally freestyle is just a concept to these people, and theyíve never actually seen any really good freestylers work their magic.

That or Iíll just skate for a bit, and after I pull some of my cooler tricks (not necessarily harder, just cooler), they stop whining at me to do stair sets.

10) Your practically the best known, well liked member on this site, but you keep it cool....how do you manage it?

Well I hardly think Iím the best known/most well liked member on the Cafť. And if I am I shouldnít be Ė there are tons of people who deserve that title more than I do.

I donít know how I manage to keep cool on the Cafť though, what with everything I doÖI guess I have this way of distancing my emotions and any problems Iím having in my life a bit and approaching new things with a clear head that helps me deal when stuff goes down.

I also remind myself them Iím just another guy who happens to have way too much time on his hands. I try to remember that Iím no where near as good as I can be at skating (thatís not hard) and that Iím just an average guy doing his own thing. Iím not really special in any way, and if I remember that (which I do most of the timeÖ) I tend to be fine.

11) We have all heard about your assassin story, and it somehow ties into your name, what can you tell us about that?

Oh man itís really not that interesting! I was writing a book, and the main character was an assassin who was training in this kind of assassin school. Basically the plot was that there was going to be this big giant fiasco and the main character and three of his friends were going to go out and try and stop it. Theyíd fail, and the school would be attacked. The main characterís best friend was going to die, and so was his mentor, and the main character was going to lose an eye. And thatís where the book would end, and then Iíd write another book (sequel), which would tell all about his revenge. I was about 15,000 words in (I was on Chapter 10) when I realized I really didnít like the book or the plot, and so I dropped it.

How my screen name relates to the book Ė the main characterís real name was Jotun, but his nickname was Necromortis (ďDeathly DeathĒ) and everyone knew him by that. I liked the name, and Iíve been using it for everything since then. Previous names include: Devotee of Chaos, Soulcollector, and Grim Reality. I like Necromortis the bestÖ

12) What is your favourite thing to do, that isnít skate related?

Spend time with my girlfriend, easily. Thatís my favorite thing to do, period, most of the time. Other than that, I enjoy playing guitar and hanging out with friends (but that is often skate related). Listening too music and writing poetry is up there as well.

13) What do you do when youíre justÖchilliní?

Listen to music, occasionally write poetry. But I find that most of my Ďchill timeí happens when Iím skating. Itís so calm. Playing guitar is always good too. Or just thinking. Itís all good.

14) Have you ever been truly in love? Can you explain it?

Yes I have, I love my friends, and Iím in love with my girlfriend. Unfortunately, Iím not really able to explain it for all you hopeless romantics out there *grins*. Itís an amazing feeling, and you really have to experience it to fully understand it.

However, Iíll try to explain what I feel like. When Iím around my girlfriend, Iím perfectly happy. Iíd literally die for her, and Iíd do anything to make sure sheís happy. Iím perfectly content and, as silly as it may sound, Iíd die from happiness if time just froze when Iím around her.

But thatís just what words can describe. Go find the perfect girl and youíll know what I mean.

15) Tell us what you like to eat, your favourite meal or family recipe (without giving away the secret ingredient, of course)... and tell us what you like to drink, both while skating, and while not skating.

I love food. Itís the best. Iím a hamburger junkie, so thatís always good. I also really enjoy eating fruit Ė berries and watermelon especially. Iíd die if I could have watermelon every dayÖmmmm watermelon.

As for family recipes Ė my mom makes the best cornbread ever. And I love my momís cupcakes. And the pumpkin pie my girlfriend sometimes makes for me Ė itís the best pumpkin pie ever. And I mean ever.

I cook all the meat when we barbecue, so Iíve got a nice little secret sauce/marinade (that is the word right?) that we put on top of it. Itís the best. Salt and pepper is always a plus too.

Drinking Ė hereís another one of my quirks. I love drinking Tonic Water straight up. Most people canít stand it, but I love it. I also love drinking Coca-Cola and Orangina. If Iím skating, I normally bring a bottle of OJ (unopened, and Iíll finish it if itís a long session), but the best is chilled water, energy drinks, and Coke when youíre skating.

16) Are you the only child? If not, tell us about your sibling(s).

No Iím not. I have a sister who turned twelve last December. She was born in America though, I was born in South Africa. She keeps to herself for the most part, and she can be great fun and rather nice. But, like all younger siblings, she can be a pain in the ass and even downright mean at other times. Sheís just my sister.

Sheís a hardcore gymnast though Ė sheís the best in California for her age group (competition season is over now). She was out for about a month and a half because she fractured her foot something awful, but sheís back now.

17) Do you enjoy helping fellow freestylers? What pushes you to help?

Yeah, I really do enjoy helping other skaters out, whether theyíre freestylers or not doesnít matter to me. I just like helping people in general honestly, makes me happy knowing that Iíve influenced someone elseís life for the better.

So Iím all too happy to help out anyone (or at least try to help anyone) with anything. Be it freestyle tricks or just life in general, I love to help anyone who needs it *grins*.

18) Who, if any are your inspirations in life? Those special people who are there when you need them, those people who you can just talk to about anything and know they will listen and help?

Ironically, most of the people who really care about me Iíve never actually met face to face before. I met most of them through skating and I love each of them to bits.

Tony Gale, Daniel Jones, Tom (soap), Mike (Pathtek4), Jesse Whalen, and Mike Green are always willing to talk to me about any problems I have. I met three of them from the Cafť (thank you Cafť!), and the other three through Meta:Creations and freestyle skating. I could literally write a whole page on each of these guys, theyíve done so much for me and theyíre so nice to me, but I think that might get a bit tedious for you guys. I can talk to any of them about anything, and they can do the same to me.

Another guy I met from the Cafť whoís just great is iamthird. Heís such a great guy to me, and heís really encouraging with my poetry and my skating.

Another inspiration in my life is one of my best friends, David. We were both new kids at our school in 7th grade, and everyone else had come in 6th grade. We immediately bonded during Ďorientationí (which really is Ė make fun of the new kids day), and weíve been great friends ever since. Heís the only one of my Ďreal lifeí friends that knows some things about me, and heís such a great guy. I could write pages about him too *grins*

Lastly, my girlfriend inspires me. Iím going to sound sappy if I go on, so Iím just going to leave it at that.

19) Your all time favourite trick?

Oh wow thatís hard. Freestyle is so open that there are so many tricks I just love. For instance, I love coco wheelies. They feel so great. But I also love handplant tricks, gymnast plant variations in particular appeal to me greatly.

And then there are 50-50 variations, FS Nose Shove-It Variations, footwork, wheelies, etc. If I had to pick one from each category, itíd be:

50-50: Carasouls or NH Fan Flips
    Rolling: FS Gazelles off the nose or Coco Wheelies
    Rail: NH Butterflips
    Footwork: Smoothies, walk the dogs, or spacewalks.
    Wheelies: Swedish Nose or Hang Ten
    Handplant: Yo-Yos or Gymnasts

ErrÖyeahÖ

20) Three things you love about skateboarding? Any shout-outs?

Three things?

1. The freedom and the calmness. Nothing matters when youíre skating except skating. Thatís one of the reasons itís so fun.
    2. The way it brings people together and how you can make so many great friends from it.
    3. That feeling of landing a new trick, and then having no one see it, so you have to do it again. I love that. Consistency is a great thing, and that wave of happiness you get it when everyone suddenly realizes you WERE telling the truth when you landed that Ďtriple McTwist McNuggetí is the best.

Shout-Outs (in alphabetical order):

All the quality members whoíve been here a while (including, but not limited to: FMG, le electric chair, dead sparrow, JHH, Enigmatic, thisisoriginal, Lazerflip, and Zero).
    Anyone who Iíve talked to on MSN and AIM
    Anyone who skates freestyle, period
    Anyone whoís encouraged me to do my own thing
    Daniel Jones
    David and the rest of my friends
    Everyone from the Cafť really
    Everyone who voted for me (kiddingÖ)
    Gary Holl
    iamthird
    Jesse Whalen
    Jon Bunn
    Kayce Shelton
    Mike (Pathtek4)
    Mike Green
    My girlfriend
    The mods (including, but not limited to: Mr. Getz, skateaws44, skaterpunk, Uncleleo, Tom, Dog Town, Rev, Fremry, Chuck, and Skate4God).
    The other skaters

Tom (soap)
    Tony Gale

Hereís some footage of Necro!: http://www.zippyvideos.com/9373564785806736/mom_video/ (

Thanks for reading!
    ~Necro
    Last edited by Necromortis; 08-15-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Cafe Fuzz

YEEEAAAAH!!! 1st you break out an awesome interview, then you end it with that killer video! Christian, you got it going on!!
    *rubs the *******
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

Tyler Self

damn I really like that NH 5050 ontop a second skateboard. Creative. Great interview all-in-all, keep freestyling!!

You've progressed so much from when you first started. I remember smiling at the pictures of one handed 50-50s in your living room, because I could see another freestyler was being born. In only a few months you've gotten so much better. Now you've got quick feet and your footwork isn't half bad either. And I do believe I saw an m-80 in there.

Haha, after all our freestyle philosophizing online...about the difference between "tech" and "complicated," and about the emotional undertones behind everyones skate styles...it's a bit ridiculous. But still, we always have something good to talk about, skating or not.

Awesome interview/video! See ya at the U.S. Championships.
    Stationary shove it while not even rolling club: Daniel Jones

You better like that M80 Dani, I froze up on camera with that trick. Took me a good fifteen minutes to land one, and then I got called inside for dinner. Good timing!

And I still swear that there's a difference between tech vs. complicated. I'm glad you're back from camp dude, I missed those ridiculous conversations. "You know what would be cool? If you could have this really sad style, but be really energetic at the same time."

Thanks for all the comments guys, glad you enjoyed the interview and the video!

~Christian/Necro

Quote Originally Posted by Darran Nolan
    but please bear in mind the necro here is sponsored by skatekings and as such will advertise their product in a way that sounds like advise

nice interview necro. It was kinda hard to read because of the glare from all your shiny gold rep bars tho.
    "There JHH goes. One of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

You stink!

Good interview man!
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
    Kurt Vonnegut

Nice interview. I like the pictures.
    ďHerb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.Ē-Bob Marley

cooler than you

You made a good transition, and a great interview, I loved the pics. But I go away for a week and you gots 2 more gold bars.
    my fs biggie goes pew pew over you.

Awsome interview

Quote Originally Posted by Necromortis
    You better like that M80 Dani, I froze up on camera with that trick. Took me a good fifteen minutes to land one, and then I got called inside for dinner. Good timing!

And I still swear that there's a difference between tech vs. complicated. I'm glad you're back from camp dude, I missed those ridiculous conversations. "You know what would be cool? If you could have this really sad style, but be really energetic at the same time."

Thanks for all the comments guys, glad you enjoyed the interview and the video!

~Christian/Necro
    Ahahaha, nice. "I think I'm gonna switch over from sad undertones to..,uh...more of a rhythmic dancing type undertone." rofl...I think we both tend to way overthink things, so that makes our conversations so great. The M-80 was pretty clean! My only complaint was that it was almost out of camera view. :P
    Stationary shove it while not even rolling club: Daniel Jones

Good interview! You deserved it man. Congratulations!

Retired Staff

Great interview Christian!
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Uh oh Necro got the MoM finally eh, nice interview I liked it. you freestyle is crazy good man I tired some of that stuff its way hard goodjob.
    The next time any of you have anything nasty or bad to say about anyone think twice, you never know how deeply u will affect them. These 2 boys were obviously driven to an edge and took the most extreme actions. Yes what they did is wrong, but who is to blame here? Them or the countless people who made their lives so shitty that they were driven to the point where to them their lives were useless and pathetic they raged revenge on everyone and in the end took their own.

An inspiration to us all, if so, let's go for another and vote him for septembers MoM!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    **** ryan sheckler, **** his show and i might even **** his mom.

MAKE EASY MONEY

I have the same shingaurds

(good interview)
    Boobies.

Another great interview!! The video is excellent, I just watched it twice. Back in the day I did freestyle on my pool board...a little harder but possible.

Congrats on FIANLLY winning MoM. I really liked your interview, one of the best, if not the best I've read.

I really enjoyed the interview and the photos were amazing, congrats Necro!

Very deep interview. Your not afraid to tell everyone that you love your girlfriend...which i find is so cool!

Credit to Etnieskater
    Quote Originally Posted by infernomax
    Sorry man , but that was extremely bad, Especially the singing... Far out..
    One time i saw a dog eating its own SHlT at the park, at that was the crappiest thing that ive witnessed until i heard your song
    Quote Originally Posted by ooder
    rhys, lovvvvvveeeees the c*ck
    Goals By October X=Got it /=Almost

[ ] Fakie Flip
    [ / ] Heelflip
    [ ] Ollie a 4 stair
    [ / ] Varial Kickflip
    [ / ] 360 Flip
    [ / ] 360 Shove it