8ft Vert Ramp

Thread: 8ft Vert Ramp

Default 8ft Vert Ramp

Hi all,
    I am wanting to build my son a 8ft vert ramp, 12' width.
    I am looking for plans specifically, dimensions.

Not sure how much flat, i.e; total length of ramp.

Thanks

Oh, THAT guy...

Your dimensions might be an issue. 12' is pretty narrow for vert and at 8', the transition is going to be pretty tight; the main risk being landing in the flat a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    Your dimensions might be an issue. 12' is pretty narrow for vert and at 8', the transition is going to be pretty tight; the main risk being landing in the flat a lot.
    Yeah, I would love to go 16' if not for cost.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Here's an idea of what a decent halfpipe that looks a little more than 8' high. I think a quarter that is 6-8 feet high, 12 feet wide is ridable. But, you'd need a lot of room around it and a decent approach path, preferably downhill..

I agree a 12 foot wide half pipe where that width includes the quarters and flat middle would be quite cramped and not all that fun for very long.
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 10-13-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Global Moderator

Don't half-ass it! 12' is too skinny, it would probably just be a waste of money!

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've got a Fresh Parks Quarter . Got it off Craisgslist for a hundred bucks last fall. You could start with 4 of these then add the vert later. Beauty is that you can drag them out to the street or driveway to skate then put them away when not in use. Could probably make an addition to add another 2 feet for a little true vert once they get bored with the current stock height.

You could even start with two and either ride in driveway, street, or toss a piece of plywood on the grass between them for a portable mini half pipe.

Thanks, This is what I want except instead of 16' width, 12. I think you guys are confusing my length and with. I am thinking 37 to 40 ft total length, including the quarters and flat.

Thanks, this is what I needed. The length will be 37 to 40 total, including quarters, flat and decking. The width 12ft, not 16 like the above schematic.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Ya, materials for 12' wide would be roughly 75% the cost of materials for 16' wide. I do have to say that the work involved for 16' wide seems a little easier since the plywood sheets come 8' wide.

Oh, THAT guy...

Quote Originally Posted by skaterdad73 View Post
    Thanks, This is what I want except instead of 16' width, 12. I think you guys are confusing my length and with. I am thinking 37 to 40 ft total length, including the quarters and flat.
    12 wide is still too narrow IMHO for vert. The lines will be very tight with little margin for error.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    12 wide is still too narrow IMHO for vert. The lines will be very tight with little margin for error.
    Yep, they'll need to be kick turning instead of carving. Re entrys will need to be straight and centered. I think it's ridable though, just with a higher degree of difficulty. I've ridden worse and I suck hahaha!

Oh, THAT guy...

So I guess one question would be, "Is your kid any good at vert or just starting to learn?"

He's just now learning bs airs. He's 15. We have a mini at the local park. I figure if I am going to build him a ramp it needs to be something he cant get elsewhere. And of course his dad wants a vert ramp.

Oh, THAT guy...

He's just now learning bs airs. He's 15. We have a mini at the local park. I figure if I am going to build him a ramp it needs to be something he cant get elsewhere. And of course his dad wants a vert ramp.
    a-HA! The truth comes out!

Gravity Slave Moderator

Please post photos of the project and results along the way. We'd love to see the timeline of wood delivery to first family session on the finished product.