Which Editing Program? Guide!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Editing Program? Guide!

Default Which Editing Program? Guide!

Ok so a lot of people wonder what editing programs are out there, most people know about big time editing programs that cost $$ such as adobe premiere and sony vegas, those will be talked about...but im here to fill you in on some lesser known or even "shareware or freeware" programs.

Why do I need an editing program?
    Editing programs allow you to edit footage in so many ways that you have captured off of your video device, most programs include capturing features.

What are some of the names of these programs?
    Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Zwei Stein, ZS4 Editing, Windows Movie Maker, Virtual Dub, Video Edit Magic, Apple IMovie, HyperEngine-AV, Avid FreeDV, BlazeMP, Ulead Video Studio, and Pinnacle Studio are to name a few programs that cost money or are free.

Should I spend that much money on a program to edit my footage?
    Not really, unless your in it for the big dollars or for a huge video that will be sold to thousands you shouldnt need to buy a $600 program. If you do not want to download or find a copy of a program, I suggest using a freeware or "shareware" program.

Which programs would you recommend to someone in the big time?
    Adobe Preimiere and or Premiere After Effects, Sony Vegas, Ulead Video Studio or Pinnacle Studio.

Which free programs will help me get a nice edited video without $$?
    Windows Movie Maker, Zwei Stein, and ZS4 are what I use. I would also recommend VirtualDub but it is a bit different and I do not and will not understand any of it.

Now I will give a brief explanation about Premiere, Vegas, Movie Maker, and Zwei Stein. Two expensive programs, and two freeware programs just so you will have a more open window on what different programs can do and if you need the money, or not.

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0
    "Make every frame count with Adobe® Premiere® Pro 2.0 software, the essential tool for professional video editing. Capture and edit virtually any format, from DV to uncompressed HD, and output to tape, DVD, and the web. Providing unparalleled integration with other Adobe applications, Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 sets new standards for efficient digital filmmaking.Make every frame count with Adobe® Premiere® Pro 2.0 software, the essential tool for professional video editing. Capture and edit virtually any format, from DV to uncompressed HD, and output to tape, DVD, and the web. Providing unparalleled integration with other Adobe applications, Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 sets new standards for filmmaking." Adobe makes wonderful products, Premiere being one of the top products they make. This program is so versitile and is one of the top choices for big production companys. You can add plugins from various adobe products such as Premiere After Effects to have the top effects with the shiny new movie you are making. Anything you think of, can really be done in this program. Being the top program that it is, it may be super difficult to navigate around and actually make the effect you see in your head, Adobe knows that so they have made many tutorials for people needing questions answered. This program is a wopping $850 dollars, totally worth it for a up and coming or already there moving making company.

Sony Vegas 6.0
    "Sony Media Software has released a new version of its video editing software, adding new features that make it easier and faster to use. Vegas 6($600, upgrade from Vegas 5, $200) is a refined editing software package, building on its powerful feature set with new ways to group, search, and find your video clips" Sony Vegas is another awesome program to edit any video clip in a easy desirable way. The navigatoin is much easy to learn and accept then Premiere and really fun to use. Its not as expensive as Adobe's products but its still pretty high up there on the money issue.

Windows Movie Maker 2.1
    "Windows Movie Maker 2.1 makes home movies amazingly fun. With Movie Maker 2.1, you can create, edit, and share your home movies right on your computer. Build your movie with a few simple drag-and-drops. Delete bad shots and include only the best scenes. Then share your movie via the Web, e-mail, or CD. Using third-party software you can even take movies you've made and turn them into DVDs. You can also save your movie back to the video tape in your camera to play back on a TV or on the camera itself." This program usually comes free with any brand new microsoft XP computer and IMO is one of the single best programs to use. It has the simplest user navigation, and takes no time or little time to capture the video and save it on your computer, disk, or internet. It may have very simple editing options to make it look nice, but anyone can use it because its so simple and so free!

Zwei Stein 3.01
    "Zwei-Stein 3.01 is a freeware non-linear, non-destructive video compositing and editing system which offers many advanced features unavailable elsewhere.
    With Zwei-Stein you can edit up to 256 video, audio and still image clips, each with up to 64 effects chained serially. Cropping, panning and custom effects are easy with automatic key frames. " Zwei Stein is really unknown in the editing software world, this is there first video editing software, the older brother is called ZS4 which has more editing features but is much slower and hard to use. Zwei Stein has more simple capture video feature then windows movie maker and is quite fun to use but hard to do any editing with special entrances and effects then most programs but is the number 1 choice for anyone who just captures and cuts parts of the beginning and end and saves it to there computer!

Zwei Stein and ZS4 Video Editing Software
    Windows Movie Maker
    Sony Vegas
    Adobe Premiere

More Resources
    Top 7 Free Video Editing Software
    Top 7 Video Editing Software for Beginners
    R.I.P. Jake "JHH" Miller. Always remember those late night Halo 3 drunk as balls matches!

wow thats a really nice guide

Zwei Stein is only in german
    [IMG]https://www.skateboard.com.au/shop/logos/girl.gif[/IMG]...te he

Quote Originally Posted by BMW258
    Zwei Stein is only in german
    I've got it, it's english lol.
    R.I.P. Jake "JHH" Miller. Always remember those late night Halo 3 drunk as balls matches!

i movie is the best

are there any new version of WMV?

ALL HAIL TO HANNIBAL! GREATEST MILITARY MIND IN HISTORY!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdog7723
    are there any new version of WMV?
    What is WMV? do you mean WMM?

waht editing program can u download that u can upload quicktime videos

Quote Originally Posted by Etnieskater
    What is WMV? do you mean WMM?
    wmv
    windows media video
    you have to reformat any footage to that file type if u want to use gifninja
    thats the only time i mess with wmv
    i wish adobe used other formats besides avi
    becouse nothing on the web is avi unless you run it through zamzar
    =]

yes it does! adobe premier will recognize Avi, wmv, mp4, quicktime, gif, jpeg, targa, and a whole host of other image types. there are also a few weird video types that premier pro will also recognize like vob files (dvd video files).

what version of premier do you have?
    Last edited by theGish; 07-15-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"P-Rod is definitely Mexican" - Mirshaun Lindly
    www.dfcskates.com

Quote Originally Posted by theGish
    yes it does! adobe premier will recognize Avi, wmv, mp4, quicktime, gif, jpeg, targa, and a whole host of other image types. there are also a few weird video types that premier pro will also recognize like vob files (dvd video files).

what version of premier do you have?

and everytime i use anything but avi it laggs really bad
    and cant get anything done
    or maybe thats becouse i have little to no disk space left =[

^ Disk space would definately have something to do with it.

Also carry as much ram as your computer can handle

macs are def the best comps for editing. My dads friend is a teacher with a masters degree in editing. He says there are only 3 good programs. Avid is the best. Final Cut is the second best and adobe premier is the 3rd best. however i have avid and its so hard i cant even import video with it. i cant wait till i get a macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram and 120 gig harddrive

For Macs, Final Cut Pro is apparently the best thing you can get. EVER. I would use Adobe's video stuff, but they have awful support for MPEG and such, so I'm using Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by blankboard42
    macs are def the best comps for editing. My dads friend is a teacher with a masters degree in editing. He says there are only 3 good programs. Avid is the best. Final Cut is the second best and adobe premier is the 3rd best. however i have avid and its so hard i cant even import video with it. i cant wait till i get a macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram and 120 gig harddrive
    I use Avid everyday. What problems are you having? Maybe I can help?
    I do not have a "Master Degree in editing" but I have been a professional editor for over 20 years. I would probably say that Avid and Final Cut Pro are the top two but personally I think Vegas is a solid 3rd but I have not used Adobe Premier in a while. Vegas is probably the best program if you do a lot of audio editing.
    Just my opinion

wow thanks no one replied my thread on what program i can use ^^
    well dont want to use wmoviemaker any more because its really slow and it crashes a whole lot especially if i have many videos on, so im going to download zwei stein

lol is it in german? no problem for me ^^
    Snooooooowwwwwwwwwwww....
    [yt]NzZ5uS8NVyI[yt]

Im using final cut on my edits and I do quite a bt nowadays, kinda getting my video production company up together. Final cut id recommend even if ur a novice at it, there are some great tutorials out there that can get you the basics reallly quick creativecow.net has a load.

The main downside to final cut as far as skateboard editing is concerned is its poor handlling of slowmotion. I always use Adobe After effects for that. Sayin this i think there are some plugins for finalcut that do a really good job but they cost a load!

PM me if u want any more info on finalcut etc.

who here has used Zwei-Stein 3.01?
    i need a review.

nvm dudes.
    that zwei-stein sh*t sucks.
    its so poorly made.
    and idk its just sucky.
    Last edited by shredallday; 10-17-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by shredallday
    who here has used Zwei-Stein 3.01?
    i need a review.

nvm dudes.
    that zwei-stein sh*t sucks.
    its so poorly made.
    and idk its just sucky.
    It's just hard to use at first, after that it's better then most besides top dollar ones.