Old School Kids (a pictoral of extreme skateboarding)
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School Kids (a pictoral of extreme skateboarding)

Default Old School Kids (a pictoral of extreme skateboarding)

This thread was inspired by all of you guys, because of who you are...and because of your friendship with each other and with me. OldSchoolKid encouraged me to do it....so....I have used his name in the title.

I have been collecting pictures of skateboarding for about three years now....since about the time I decided to start skateboarding. They have encouraged me to keep expanding my limits...until I have become somewhat acceptable at the art....and the sport...that we love. I am going to share them with you. Keep checking back....because this will take some time....for all of us.

Some of these pics (and in some cases, videos) are historical.....all are inspiring.... they reflect something of who you are.....the spirit of skateboarding....by which we are all bound together in friendship.

This thread is open for comments and for you to add your own favorite pics of anyone....including yourselves.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I have.....and will.

I'll start it out with a tribute to the z-boy that personifies "no fear" and "no limits"

Taken about a year ago "Skateboarder for Life" (Go!!.....Jayboy!!!!!...Go!!):

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_US7hzuohTo
    Now......I'll start throwing it all together:

Stacy Paralta:

Arthur Lake:

Longboard Ty (16 years old) Ovieda Skate park....today

Longboard Ty and Wanka and friends...Ovieda and Kona parks...Florida...today (click this link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64SbIb3-XQ

New Orleans....back in the day:

Hey....if you guys think you're punks........take a sneek peek at your grandads.......in California...of course:

Skatawave skatepark in Mobile, AL....1978

Jay Alabamy.....1980:

Matt....today:

We're just getting started.......need to sleep.....will work on it again Sunday night....good night.

A rare photo of the"skateboard pimp"....friend of the z-boys....and promoter of the sport:

check out his skateboard collection on this link:

http://skateboardpimp.com/

The only pic I've ever seen of a young Rockin Ron (the bearing king)....age 16.....skating a ditch in California:
    Last edited by glidenhi; 11-08-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Definitely sick photos. Make me want to go break into someone's backyard and shred their pool.

Thanks......drizzle!!!

If you haven't already......check out this link to the video of actual footage of the "Dogbowl".....where the z-boys perfected their art:

http://vimeo.com/21897326
    Last edited by glidenhi; 02-04-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Thoose are awsome pics,do you have any more that you can post that would be great. I have always wanted to skate like pools and stuff so thoose were neat.
    R.I.P Derreck Burress
    [IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x307/hannaford93/reckburruss.jpg[/IMG]

Some great pics right there, I love looking at some old school skating. I love the last pic, with the 4 trucks and 8 wheels . Thanks for posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by infernomax
    I sat at the computer tonight to do 2 things... Drink some Beer and Neg rep some C*nts... And Im almost out of beer

Quote Originally Posted by mustanggt
    Thoose are awsome pics,do you have any more that you can post that would be great. I have always wanted to skate like pools and stuff so thoose were neat.
    ......we haven't even started.....

Sick picture of jay adams-

credits to some guy at SnB.

Beautiful Loser

For the record most of these pics were taken by Glen Friedman and Craig R Stecyk III, both amazing photographers (Glen Friedman has definitely been one of my main role models for years now), just in case someone here would be interested in their work and would want to google search their names.

http://www.z-boys.com another cool link

This is indeed a great thread that will hopefully inspire a lot of people and make them want to go skate glidenhi, for the record it personally got me pumped So I'm going to go skate now.

An old Indy add I have.

Great work, I love this

some more, classic skate deck art

Yeah!!!!!!.....that's what I was hoping would happen!!!!......

Keep it going guys......til I get back.

Heres a cool shot of Hosoi:

Wow, very nice everbody!

I've never seen that photo of Jay 7 down from the top before! It's awesome!

I'll up some pics later once I get them scanned.

Old park, used to be in Olympia, WA. Now it's buried under the concrete of a cold storage wherehouse. Rumor is they just filled it in with dirt and paved over it...so it might still be there...
    Last edited by OldSchoolKid; 02-04-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My Brain Hurts. I Want To Cry And Kill.

Dude,
    I love this stuff...

It makes me happy!
    I want to be more like water... so I could drown stupid people.

The man in his zone. Duane Peters, frontside air, Combi.

One of my favorite Duane photos.

Caption says it all.

Last edited by OldSchoolKid; 02-04-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Great stuff.....guys!!!! I'm back.....took some middle and high schoolers out skating today. One of them.....David (age 15).....asked me to post a pic of him skating his first bowl...at Concrete Wave Country in Nashville....so here it is. David is a magician at street...and this looks pretty good for a bowl newbie:

Here.....skating at the same park on my BDS Quad 11 Tailgunner....is a veteran bowl rider......who you know on this board as "Bandana." This kid rips!!!!!

Here's another pic of him skating at an even bigger bowl in Oxford, MS:

Now this isn't Old School....but I love it. My title for this photo is...."Very dangerous, little brother.....you go first."

....and here's a kid that needs no encouragement (his name is Ethan...age 6)):

....makes you feel like a "wimp'....doesn't it?

I named this one........"hey....Frankie....are you sure this attracts babes??......this sweater's steam'in!!!!.......

Ok....back to history. Here are some pics of Get-A-Way Skatepark in Huntsville....circa...late 70s...early 80s. They tore it down in the early 80s. Some of you "old guys" have seen some of them...but I'm putting them up again for the rest.

the pro shop:

the keyhole:

I asked the oldtimers on the SkateAlabama forum to tell me about this pic and the park...and this is what they said yesterday:

Buddy Rawls:
    big pool session:
    Kurt jose skating, kevin mcmahan standing on the coping deck, mark tidwell and greg williams with the matching do's, chris byrd with the lightning bolt helmet, tom Payton (75% sure) with red protec, paul Gierow no shirt. Cant determine who is cut out partially.

Actually warren, there was a decent amount of people skating. they bulldozed it while the cramp ramp was being skated, and before it got moved to shane's in 5 points.

if you have to ask why it was torn down, then you are pretty uninformed on late 70's and early 80's skateboarding and the parks. only about 4 cement parks in the whole country made it thru the 80's. lack of media, lack of support, sky rocketing liability, and the mainstream could not keep up with the progression of the late 70's. It basically fizzled out. only the medium to hardcore skaters made it thru, before the mid 80's newbies jumped in on it.

Warren:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buddy - I remember well when the Get A Way was bull dozed, I never quit skating until the mid 90's. My first reference was when it actual closed, when it was bull dozed the scene was picking back up and the summer before it was bull dozed a group of us were cleaning the 85 degree bowl when the owner showed up, it was on Easter day and we spoke to him actually about the growth of skating and he let us skate that day until it began to snow... that is the only snow in April I can ever remember, he gave us a ride back to our car. I can't remember who all was there, I think it was myself, richie, eric, gary, and ?. Eric, Richie and myself worked out a deal with him and he let us clean up around the park in exchange for riding, that was short lived something happened and that ended that. I think it was bull dozed not long after that for office space. You are right thou there were numerous reasons for closing I was simplifying. The bowl in Huntsville looks like alot of fun as ssoon as it warms up some I plan to come up and skate, I just got a new setup.

Here's a pic of Buddy Rawls.....back then...and he still rules today:

Here's the rest of the park:

Ray Underhill:

The shoot in the background was a water park...behind the skatepark:
    Last edited by glidenhi; 02-05-2007 at 12:03 PM.

I just wet myself over the pro shop picture, so simple, and yet so effective.

Glidenhi, sounds like your doing a lot for young skaters in your community, thats awesome!

That bowl in Oxford has me stoked just looking at it!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolKid

Glidenhi, sounds like your doing a lot for young skaters in your community, thats awesome!

Thanks...friend.....they're my inspiration....the secret to skating into my 60s..and hopefully....my seventys....!!

Here's a better shot of Oxford skate park.....it has a neat cradle too....

I think barefoot skateboarding is pure style.....pure freedom....pure surf....and pure spirit. Love these pics:

Shoeless Brian:

Barefoot downhill:

Alan (Ollie) Gelfand.....the original leader to the world of new school tricks:

.....dreamland.....

Old times (I have a feeling this is one of the z-boys.....don't know which for sure (Jay or Stacy...or even Arthur Lake) :

.....well......almost barefoot.....

Handstands are pretty neat too:

.....and for the girls watching.......some are probably neater than others:

..........a bunch of girls are too busy ripping to watch:

Kayla

Tricia...well...maybe....posing

Terry:

Or....maybe posing...

Lindsea Lumpkin (Skate park of Athens)

Lindsea:

Upland Skate Park

I call this series.....Encouragement:

encouragement from a brother...is rare....and beautiful:

Encouragement from our Elders is pretty ok too!!
    Last edited by glidenhi; 02-15-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolKid

Hey....OSK!!........just found some more pics of Skate-A-Way:

Paul Geirow:

Paul ....again:

JCab.....in the big bowl:

Tod MacDonald......

Ok.......I'll call this series......."the Gang"....friends you'll never forget.

The "Dirty South Crew".....I'm the one on the left.....Bandana's the grom in the middle.

.....it gets hot in N.Y.......

...look at the condition of these guys' hands!!.....

Last edited by glidenhi; 02-11-2007 at 06:13 PM.