Ramped Slow-Mo in Sony Vegas 7.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramped Slow-Mo in Sony Vegas 7.0

Default Ramped Slow-Mo in Sony Vegas 7.0

I've been asked by a couple fellow users to post a guide on how to do ramped slow-mo's in Sony Vegas 7.0. Well, here you go, a step by step tutorial!

1. First, you'll want to have your clip in the appropriate track and everything ready to go (trimmed and such.)

Overview of the Vegas work space

2. Once you're ready to begin, click the Go To Beginning arrow, which looks like this: |<. That will take you to the front of the track. Once there, use the right arrow on your keyboard (by holding it in) to advance frame by frame through your video track. Once you get to the spot you want to start the Slow-Mo at, release your finger. You can fine tune it by just single pressing the arrows left or right.

This image shows where I am choosing to make my selection

3. Now we will split the clips to begin the slow-mo. Hit the "s" key on the keyboard to split the track. Now, use the right arrow button on your keyboard and press it twice. Then split the track again. Do this 5 or 7 times, depending on how long the trick is. The reason I do it 5 or 7, instead of 6 or 8, is because you want to have an odd number of splits. By having an odd number of splits, this insures that your slow-mo peaks on the even clip, then goes back down. It's sort of confusing, but just trust me.

A picture showing the splits I made

4. After making your splits, move the back part of your clip over to the right to allow yourself room to edit. Spread your split clips out, too.

The above picture shows the splits and how I moved them to allow space to edit

5. Now, this is the fun part, and the most crucial part of the procedure. Place your cursor over the end of the first split. You will see that it turns into an arrow inside of a box. Hold down Ctrl (control button), then click on the end of that clip and drag it to the right. You'll see up top an arrow similar to ->| with a time behind it. Drag that until it says +0;02, or two tenths of a second.

View of the clip dragging procedure, you can see the +0;02 at the top

6. Move your next clip over to the one you just edited, and do the same procedure as Step 5, but take it up to +0;03. Then. move the next over, and take it to +0;04. Then work on the descent.****Note.

*Note: If you split the original clip 5 times, after you do +0;04, go back to +0;03, then +0;02. If you split the original clip 7 times, your peak will be +0;05, instead of +0;04. Ya dig?

View of the splits being connected

7. Now, move your last part of your clip back and attach it. Like all the other times you re-attached clips, the little blue line will appear in between them.

Illustration of a basic connection between clips

8. Now we must sync the sound with the slowed down clip. If you forget this part, your final clip will sound really retarded. To avoid confusion, I'll show you how to do it one by one instead of grouping them and doing it in one step.

The sound bar is where your sound for each clip is located. Right click on each little sound clip under the video clip, then go to "properties" on the drop down menu.

This picture illustrates the sound bar and where it is, along with the sound clip (highlighted in red) accompanied by the pull down menu.

9. After clicking on "properties" from the previous step, a box will come up with many options. Find the option for "Lock To Stretch" and tick that. By ticking that, it ensures that your audio is stretched with your video and becomes deeper. This is the famous noise you hear in slow-mo clips.

***If you can't find the Lock To Stretch option, make sure your "Method" in the box is on "Classic."

***Never click the "Lock" box towards the top under "Switches," that will just lock your audio from being moved. It has no effect on the slow-mo at all.

After ticking the "Lock to Stretch" box, click "OK," then do that for all the clips you split.

Here I'm displaying what to tick in the Properties box.

Once you're done doing that, you can render your clip and bask in the glory of the fake ramped slow-mo!

Example from the clip I was using in the guide:
    http://blip.tv/file/756966?filename=...Example232.mov

If anyone wants things explained more in depth or anything, just ask, and I'll be happy to help.
    Last edited by hanyo66; 03-19-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

this is very helpful for people new to Sony vegas
    Just live your life, Be a simple kind of man..

Yeah, I wish I would have had a tutorial like this when I was learning.

Once you get the hang of doing them, it honestly takes about a minute to do a clip.
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

Good tutorial, descriptive and easy. Should help alot of people. +rep.
    r.i.p.
    JesusHadHerpes

Quote Originally Posted by ISkateZero View Post
    Pressure flips wouldnt be allowed because this isn't HGOS (Homosexual Game Of Skate).

Thank you!
    Merging doublepost
    Bump?
    Last edited by hanyo66; 03-20-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

A much easier way is simple just Split the clip, And hold Control down and Drag the end of the clip closer together to make it go faster and farther to make it go slower.

Do you know how dumb that looks?

It goes normal, then all of a sudden really slow, then all of a sudden really fast.

This is real (well a fake real one) lol.

Learn about the editing industry.
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

Yeah. I do a way somewhat similar to this when Im too lazy to open up after effects.

In final cut, I zoom in really big and trim the clip into 10 seperate clips and modify the speed to do this

80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 40, 50, 70, 90

And then back to 100. People tell me all the time Im good at ramps, so I guess it works :P

Good tutorial though, even if this isnt the real effect its still a good slow mo.

Thank you very much!
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

Retired Staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5sFWKKmJu8&NR=1
    Theres my attempt, but i didnt use vegas i used ulead, just wanted to knwo if it would still work.

Nashville TN (brentwood/franklin)[yes we do wear shoes in TN if you were wondering)

thanks that helped, heres my vid with a couple ramps and other random effect stupid stuff... http://vimeo.com/847161
    its really stupid but o well.
    Goals for before Christmas I guess, originally it was for before June, but i definately failed. :

(x) - landed (/) - landed but inconsistent (//) - close to landing (#) - not even close

bigspin - x
    heelflip - x
    kickflip - x
    bs heelflip - x
    bs flip - x
    fs flip - x
    hardflips - //
    360 flips - x
    nollie bs bigspin - x
    nollie fs bigspin - x
    switch bigspin - x
    nollie bigspin heel - #
    nollie flip - //
    nollie heel - /
    smiths - x
    nosegrinds-x

angry, young & beautiful

what would a "real ramped slow mo" be?
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltageSk8r View Post
    what would a "real ramped slow mo" be?
    Real ramped slow mo is done in Adobe After Effects, because you ramp the audio. It's kinda hard to explain, but either way it's ramped, haha.
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

yeah just get after effects
    im not saying to go download it illegaly
    but if u want to
    go ahead

it takes me literaly 30 secs to ramp in ae and its easier

easttoast.blogspot.com

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by blankboard42 View Post
    it takes me literaly 30 secs to ramp in ae and its easier
    i suck so bad at ramps. i tried ramping a three flip of my friends for my first one and i wanted to start the ramp when he bends his knees and end it when he started to roll away, i wnated the middle of it to be right in the middle of the trick but it always seems to ramp ramp way before or something.

yep, comes out good, but after effects ramps are much better in my opinion, but thats just me
    R.I.P Showroom

Skatinnn jerseyyyy ftwwwwwww.

check out my youtube account.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/grapesodaisG

No doubt AE ramps are better, quicker, and easier, but this was for the Vegas people.
    I'm hanyo66 from SBC

Retired Staff

Ok, everyone is saying AE ramps are better.. no ****, AE is a ramp slow mo, everything else is a fake ramp. Obviously there going to be smoother easier and look better.

Pretty good mate keep up the good work.