• No

60 81.08%
  • Still no

9 12.16%
  • Meh

4 5.41%
  • Yes, I had a great year

1 1.35%
Page 3079 of 3084 FirstFirst ... 2079257929793029306930773078307930803081 ... LastLast
Results 61,561 to 61,580 of 61667

Thread: Post your random thought.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    Ill never be like my parents, im far too sexy
    Your mom's still quite sexy :-P

Caveman

OMG... Fight! Fight!
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    That mortality awareness is a lot of what motivated the parents' advice that I scoffed in my teens. They went through it same as we eventually do. Easily half of the people I partied with in my 20s who kept roaring on that crazy train and didn't settle down by about age 25 are dead now, many died in their late 20s and early 30s. Then another wave comes when we hit our 50s with the widowmakers taking others out, even the ones who never really partied hard at all aren't immune to that. It's the depression and car wrecks and over dosing that takes out folks in their 20s most. My dad's best friend and cousin went out that way about age 30. It hit him really hard. But other things I admit they were right about were economic pills I had to swallow of survival over principles. Some hills aren't worth dying on even though I know I'm in the right..
    Years ago, there was a thread in the off-topic section of SkullAndBonesSkateboards asking "At what age did you realize your parents' fallibility?" I've been thinking about that a lot lately - just because of how the world has shaken out, I've never made more money than my parents have at my age. When they were my age, they were absolutely done having kids, and they owned a house (that cost about 1 years' worth of money). I'm only making about half of what my dad did, let alone any additional that my mom made. Plus, the housing market has shit the bed several times over, so that old $70k house that they'd bought is now worth 3 times as much. When I put my life into numbers like that, it brought tears to my mom's eyes because she could actually see how hard my wife and I are struggling. The better world that they'd promised us hasn't come to fruition.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Years ago, there was a thread in the off-topic section of SkullAndBonesSkateboards asking "At what age did you realize your parents' fallibility?" I've been thinking about that a lot lately - just because of how the world has shaken out, I've never made more money than my parents have at my age. When they were my age, they were absolutely done having kids, and they owned a house (that cost about 1 years' worth of money). I'm only making about half of what my dad did, let alone any additional that my mom made. Plus, the housing market has shit the bed several times over, so that old $70k house that they'd bought is now worth 3 times as much. When I put my life into numbers like that, it brought tears to my mom's eyes because she could actually see how hard my wife and I are struggling. The better world that they'd promised us hasn't come to fruition.
    All thanks to Reaganomics. Sabotaged unions, taxed social security, exempted capital gains from taxes over 15%, shut down the national system of mental hospitals, and set the stage for Citizens United Trickle up economics disguised as trickle down.. The game is totally rigged, deck is staked against you.

Caveman

You forgot to mention "outsourcing"/"off shoring" of skilled and unskilled jobs.
    My kid's senior project in college was to offshore labor at a company. I thought that was disgusting, but I have folks in India that make approx 1/8 of what the US engineers make. How can you argue with that?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    You forgot to mention "outsourcing"/"off shoring" of skilled and unskilled jobs.
    My kid's senior project in college was to offshore labor at a company. I thought that was disgusting, but I have folks in India that make approx 1/8 of what the US engineers make. How can you argue with that?

And automation for customer service and manufacturing jobs. COVID sped that up with apps and touchscreens replacing people in retail and fast food venues.. App to billing to delivery will soon be fully autonomous as well..

Several of my contract analyst gigs were with Indian companies as my main employer. They still needed a few American citizen folks as contingencies for visa issues. I knew when I got offered an internal position that offshore vendor was about to be cut from the pool. This happened right at the start of the COVID pandemic. My employer saw the threat and brought the key people back in house and dropped a lot of contract vendors, especially in India. Turned out to be a good call as the remaining India resources became unstable when shit got real there..
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 09-01-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Gravity Slave Moderator

SHIT SHIT FUCKING SHIT!! Here comes that mutation that DGAF if you're vaccinated or have already had COVID. Fellas, get out there and enjoy the concerts, games, clubs, and general freedom while it lasts this fall and in to winter. If this is shit is legit, by springtime we're going to all be back in lockdowns again..

As the Delta variant of COVID-19 continues its deadly sweep across the U.S., officials say that they are keeping a "very close eye" on a new variant that may be able to bypass existing coronavirus antibodies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ehp&li=BBnb7Kz

Caveman

Hey NoSwitch, I read the same article. You sound pretty worked up. Maybe dial back a bit on the "doom scrolling"?
    Yeah, something bad might be headed our way, but it's not here yet. And yes we'll know about it before the WHO calls it out.
    1 crisis at a time please.

On a related note, there's interesting news that the first US Covid death occurred in early January.... in Kansas no less. Looks like Covid was circulating among us... we just didn't know enough to recognize it. On a more personal note, I don't have a doubt that rockst*r may have caught it in early Jan of 2020 as speculated many pages back.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/...til-this-week/

Caveman

On a fun note, I finally picked up some Bose Companion computer speaks for work. Music sound so much better on these speakers compared to the Macbook Pro built ins. When I first plugged them in, I rediscovered the long missing base notes. It's like I was missing half of every song. Lol...
    And no, I'm certainly no audiophile... I'm a tin-ear.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Hey NoSwitch, I read the same article. You sound pretty worked up. Maybe dial back a bit on the "doom scrolling"?
    Yeah, something bad might be headed our way, but it's not here yet. And yes we'll know about it before the WHO calls it out.
    Yes it's not here yet.. hence the bold..

SHIT SHIT FUCKING SHIT!! Here comes that mutation that DGAF if you're vaccinated or have already had COVID. Fellas, get out there and enjoy the concerts, games, clubs, and general freedom while it lasts this fall and in to winter. If this is shit is legit, by springtime we're going to all be back in lockdowns again..
    I'm a big fan of enjoy the best while preparing for the worst

Caveman

I'm a big fan of enjoy the best while preparing for the worst
    Yup that's a spin on the old saying "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" and it's good thinking. Then question is... how far do you want to take it?
    For example, I went as far as stashing some N95 masks and a Honeywell air purifier just in case covid breached the walls of my tiny house, but I stopped well short of building a bunker, picking up a year supply of MREs, an M16A4 to protect it all... lol... oh, and don't forget the toilet paper!

OK. Enough of that crap. Life is to be enjoyed with family and friends.
    I hope that everybody is preparing to have a real nice long weekend.... at least in the good ol' USA. (Sorry Dr_F!)
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 09-03-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Skate Pirate

On a related note, there's interesting news that the first US Covid death occurred in early January.... in Kansas no less. Looks like Covid was circulating among us... we just didn't know enough to recognize it. On a more personal note, I don't have a doubt that rockst*r may have caught it in early Jan of 2020 as speculated many pages back.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/...til-this-week/
    That's funny. My opinion has honestly softened on that, after talking to a few good buddies (one formerly an ICU nurse at a VA hospital who dealt with CoVid, the other who actually had CoVid and said the "sense of impending doom" was real), and hearing a few podcasts about influenza. The actual flu is the worst cold you've ever had, and the doctors I talked to last year (including my buddy) and they said that yes, they'd done all sorts of viral tests and found that the 2019 flu bug was a son of a bitch.

Skate Pirate

Yup that's a spin on the old saying "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" and it's good thinking. Then question is... how far do you want to take it?
    For example, I went as far as stashing some N95 masks and a Honeywell air purifier just in case covid breached the walls of my tiny house, but I stopped well short of building a bunker, picking up a year supply of MREs, an M16A4 to protect it all... lol... oh, and don't forget the toilet paper!

OK. Enough of that crap. Life is to be enjoyed with family and friends.
    I hope that everybody is preparing to have a real nice long weekend.... at least in the good ol' USA. (Sorry Dr_F!)
    I mean, I've got an A2...but bullets are scarcer than hen's teeth.

I do a lot of podcast listening - one of the podcasts I listened to last year was about how ill-prepared we all were for hunkering down and doing nothing. The threat of civil unrest has had me thinking really hard about buying a few weeks' worth of MREs and storing some water up.

God

So, the start of this year, i got into this whole stock thing. Bought into AMC quite earlier.....sitting on 441 shares, average price of about 10-11 bucks....Got 8 shares gme......been sitting on about 23000 profit right now.... not even tempted to sell. I dont know if you guys know much about whats going on with those stocks and all the illegal shit these rich asshole hedgefunds are doing but this shit is gonna pop soon and paydays coming.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've been building a stash of canned food in my crawl space for 20 years. Got a couple boxes of N95s and a couple bottles of bleach tablets to treat water. My weapons are a little more conventional hunting grade, but still high capacity.. and a CPX2 sidearm. Enough ammo to put up a fight against 4-5 others, but it's definitely overkill to think you or your family can defeat a mob of armed people who decide to storm your home or bunker. They'll overwhelm you, burn your place down, etc..

The doom scrolling is definitely unhealthy. I've got major resentments because we don't have to be here. Enjoying life with friends and family is a priority, but to could be WAY better without these fucking greedy assholes and the dumbfucks that fall for their agenda. The carnage from the Delta and possible worse variants is just completely fucking unnecessary. The western US being on god damned fire and eastern US being under water is at least somewhat unnecessary. We should all be outraged about these situations.

I'd rather find better balance between the loving life and raging against the threats to that than throwing my hands up in the air about the latter..

Gravity Slave Moderator

On the bright side, like Dale, I'm in a position to succeed in this business environment. I work for Cisco and Cisco is thriving in this uncertain, potential lockdowns environment. Business and especially government agencies want SOLID internet infrastructures. Everyone's buying the full coverage products so business is GOOD. I'm expecting a nice bonus next month. My kids had a pretty rough time last year, but are adapting to this new reality better now. I can't help but fear that a bunch of total morons are doing their absolute best to fuck it all up for all of us. OIK rant over... Holiday weekend mode on :-) :-) :-)

I'm going to watch college football then make some repairs to my mini ramp this weekend woot woot!

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    ^The problem with the shut downs is it puts millions of people out of work, they're not going to give us unemployment a second time as they didn't give half of us anything the first time either, a lot of us didn't get the stimulus checks either because we're 1099'ers and had to send em all right back for taxes we owed, and you're not going to get those shows back because there won't be any crew or half the artists even left. Bands are already having a hard time finding crew right now, I've had multiple artist friends told me if another shut down happens they'll have to quit entirely, endless lockdowns hurts just as many millions of people. You shut down things again, a lot of us won't be here to come back, and your shows aren't gonna fuckin happen

Lots of venues are already enacting rules where no vaccine card or no negative test = no entry. Close the venues who won't follow suit, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Don't encourage ruining millions of lives to protect people who don't want to be protected. I'm not going to become fucking homeless to protect some science denying neanderthal, and honestly man fuck anyone who thinks I should have to keep living the way I've been living the last year and a half to protect a bunch of fuckin neanderthals who trust Facebook more than science. You know how demoralizing it is to have your life and career ripped out of your hands by people whose incomes are completely unaffected? Having your whole life you've had the last near decade made illegal by decisions made from people sitting at desks who are completely unaffected by their own decisions? To see people you know agree with those decisions? I'm not gonna sit here and be friendly with anyone encouraging the ending of my career to be honest man, sorry. We're not on good terms if you agree with the effects more shut downs will have on people like me. Try thinking of rational solutions that won't ruin an entire industry and the lives of all those in it because they're 150% not going to give us any assistance if it shuts down again, pls and thx
    I was talking to a friend on Twitter and he was saying that when String Cheese Incident played at the Greek Theater in Berkeley people were selling fake vaccine cards for $40 a pop and handing them through the fence. Pretty shady shit going on in the "Help your brother out" scene.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

There was an old saying, "You will become your parents." When word came down to me, the person was kind enough to leave out the caveat... "if you live that long".

Then there's denial... I remember thinking "No way!. Same reaction as when I learned about sex... My parents did that?!? NO WAY!
    I'm still grappling with that one. Lol...
    #scarredforlife
    First you figure out sex for reproduction. Realize that your parents had sex and you were produced. No one ever wants to imagine their mother giving a blowjob.

All thanks to Reaganomics. Sabotaged unions, taxed social security, exempted capital gains from taxes over 15%, shut down the national system of mental hospitals, and set the stage for Citizens United Trickle up economics disguised as trickle down.. The game is totally rigged, deck is staked against you.
    Thanks to Loren Bobert, Marjorie Taylor Greene etc. I started reading Marx. I never really understood Communism and reading their bullshit I realized that they don't either. Especially the whole Critical Race Theory thing. Essentially from what I've gathered looking into it all CRT is is taking Frankfurt School Critical Theory and applying it to the intersection of Race and Class. So I decided to go back and read The Communist Manifesto and work my way through Das Kapital (each of the three volumes is about as thick as a bible) then read "Dialectics of Enlightenment" and "The Authoritarian Personality". To get a solid frame of reference before jumping into Critical Race Theory. I already realize that these Fucknuts are fucking delusional if they thing that this is going to be taught to elementary school students.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Caveman

Complex concepts and philosophies don't readily translate to "sound bites".
    Since most of our media outlets and definitely our politicians are running on sound bites... well.... the results are predictable.

Hey Rev J, you named off a few of my very favorite freshmen politicians.... Lauren Boebert, Marjory Taylor Green, Madison Cawthorn, and of course "the coach" Mr Tuberville. Opportunistic morons one and all... but I'm not sure about Tommy. I'd poke fun at him but from the media exposure I've seen, I think that he's a "special needs" kinda guy... which kinda makes joking about the coach off limits.

Anyhow, I'm thinking that we should form a fan club. Should I processed the paperwork? You can be "El Presidente" if you want.
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 09-07-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Gravity Slave Moderator

That bimbo Boebart's about to be reduced to a stain on Colorado's history. Her district is getting rolled in to a larger, way more progressive district thanks to the census data.