• Yes, I am new here!

28 23.93%
  • Zombie from long ago

17 14.53%
Page 3013 of 3014 FirstFirst ... 201325132913296330033011301230133014 LastLast
Results 60,241 to 60,260 of 60262

Thread: Post your random thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    Got ran off the road into two feet of snow in Kansas the other day. Tow trucks decided to hitch onto our goddamn trailer hitch, and destroyed our axle. What's normally a 7 hour ish drive from Lawrence to Denver turned into 36 hours, and then we had to go all the way from denver to sacramento in one day (21 hour drive), then all the way from sacramento to vegas.......and it just keeps going on. Hometown show in phoenix tonight, then all the way to goddamn san antonio. then later, houston tx to destin Fl, then Tampa to Atlanta, then Atlanta to NYC, then worcester MA to Lynchburg VA.....routing on this tour is so fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Was whoever booked that tour on drugs?
    I guess that the bright side is that you're on tour and that peeps will pay to see you and the band.
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Earth Punk

I'm at work but just got my new laptop. 3 days ahead of schedule. It's also just old enough a Mac that I don't have to get any of those stupid adapters.

Now I just have to set it up, download Ableton and ProTools and get to work learning them.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

15" MacBook Pro?

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    15" MacBook Pro?
    13" 1TB memory with 8GB ram. I'm pretty much going to be using it mostly for music production. I got a beginning recording package about 5 months ago. Once I'm not working 6 days a week I'm going to start working my way through a Berklee College of Music Jazz Composition book.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

13" 1TB memory with 8GB ram. I'm pretty much going to be using it mostly for music production. I got a beginning recording package about 5 months ago. Once I'm not working 6 days a week I'm going to start working my way through a Berklee College of Music Jazz Composition book.
    Sweet! Sounds like something to look forward to and a lot of fun. You've been working 6 days a week for as long as I can recall (though I'm relatively new to this forum). Got relief in sight? Hope so.
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 12-05-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Earth Punk

Sweet! Sounds like something to look forward to and a lot of fun. You've been working 6 days a week for as long as I can recall (though I'm relatively new to this forum). Got relief in sight? Hope so.
    Yeah work is understaffed. We've hired a couple of people who do my job and neither of them worked out. Hopefully after Christmas I should get some time off.

In the meantime I've been listening to a lot of Instrumental Hip Hop, and Chill Hop for inspiration. Back in the late 90s and early 00s there were a few Hip Hop producers like Nujabes, Q Tip, DJ Premier, and J Dilla used a lot of Jazz samples in their beats. My idea is to go in the other direction and use a lot of Hip Hop types of rhythms and actually use Jazz composition techniques with it. I also dig a lot of the Jazz influenced stuff you hear as background music on skate videos.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Be careful what you ask for. I was pretty burned out when I got laid off. Now, after three months I just ran out of unemployment. I've had several pretty good interviews but no job offers. I've not had an interview where the people who were interviewing me were older than I am though. I'm probably not going to find a really good job doing what I had been doing without someone I know somewhere pulling some strings. Mrs NoSwitch just landed a killer gig though so we're going to be OK no matter what I end up doing. I'm about ready to go get a temp office gig or sign up to be a substitute teacher. Both pay about a third of what I was making though so but it would be nice to have a little spending money so I'm ready to go there just to get out of the house..

Earth Punk

The thing is I have job security. When I say "Time off" it means working 4 days a week instead of 6. Also the union just finalized a new contract and we'll be getting a $1.30 an hour raise. I will finally be making more than my local minimum wage.

C/S,
    Rev J

The thing is I have job security. When I say "Time off" it means working 4 days a week instead of 6. Also the union just finalized a new contract and we'll be getting a $1.30 an hour raise. I will finally be making more than my local minimum wage.
    Right on Rev J! Sounds like things are lining up nicely for you. Hope you get that time to get familiar with your new recording gear and dive right into that Hip Hop / Jazz.

And truth be told... I barely know anything about music. I leaned toward 60s & 70s rock and roll when I was growing up (e.g. Beatles, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd to put some names on the era.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Be careful what you ask for. I was pretty burned out when I got laid off. Now, after three months I just ran out of unemployment. I've had several pretty good interviews but no job offers. I've not had an interview where the people who were interviewing me were older than I am though. I'm probably not going to find a really good job doing what I had been doing without someone I know somewhere pulling some strings. Mrs NoSwitch just landed a killer gig though so we're going to be OK no matter what I end up doing. I'm about ready to go get a temp office gig or sign up to be a substitute teacher. Both pay about a third of what I was making though so but it would be nice to have a little spending money so I'm ready to go there just to get out of the house..
    Good luck finding a job NoSwitch. Regarding your observation on age, I understand where you're coming from.... I'm the oldest guy in the office... I qualify for SSI, I work in tech, and I'm surrounded by Millennials. If you haven't done so already, reach out to your old friends, grab a lunch, and light up that network. I think that I only landed one job in my career on interview skills alone. I hope that you find that magic triple play where the money is decent, the is job interesting if not fun, and you enjoy hanging out with your co-workers.

Speaking of being a dinosaur.... here's a story for you. I got a senior discount on a coffee.... without asking for it.... at MickeyDs.... in the drive through.... and that was over 5 years ago. How the heck does that work?!? Lol...

Keep on skatin' and for gosh sakes... GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 12-07-2018 at 01:23 AM.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Right on Rev J! Sounds like things are lining up nicely for you. Hope you get that time to get familiar with your new recording gear and dive right into that Hip Hop / Jazz.

And truth be told... I barely know anything about music. I leaned toward 60s & 70s rock and roll when I was growing up (e.g. Beatles, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd to put some names on the era.

Good luck finding a job NoSwitch. Regarding your observation on age, I understand where you're coming from.... I'm the oldest guy in the office... I qualify for SSI, I work in tech, and I'm surrounded by Millennials. If you haven't done so already, reach out to your old friends, grab a lunch, and light up that network. I think that I only landed one job in my career on interview skills alone. I hope that you find that magic triple play where the money is decent, the is job interesting if not fun, and you enjoy hanging out with your co-workers.

Speaking of being a dinosaur.... here's a story for you. I got a senior discount on a coffee.... without asking for it.... at MickeyDs.... in the drive through.... and that was over 5 years ago. How the heck does that work?!? Lol...

Keep on skatin' and for gosh sakes... GET OFF MY LAWN!

Been a crazy week on the interview scene. Got a callback on a job I did a phone screen for November 9th where an on site interview was supposed to be imminent. This happened right after getting a call from a former contract vendor who I did contract gigs for from 2012 to 2016 when the client company forced me to change vendors. Anyway, WebEx for the contract gig Tuesday afternoon, on site interview Wednesday morning for the first full time employee real job with benefits. This morning I got the call telling me I've got the full time employee with benefits job. An hour later the other former contract vendor is trying to reach me with "important details" about the 6 month contract gig. I'm cool with contract gigs, bounced around there for the past 12 years with this being the only real gap I hit there. Anyway, I called the real FT job recruiter back asking when I will get the offer paperwork explaining that another recruiter also seems poised to make an offer.. and the both jobs are for the same group at the same company. Got in touch with HR to speak with the lady putting together my offer. She confirmed all the details, salary rate, benefits I will get totally rock! I told her about the other recruiter giving her a heads up that there is another vendor/recruiter also seeming ready to make me a similar offer, told her I'll stick with this one..

So, finally called back the contract gig recruiter and they're sooo pissed! They are trying to say it is for the same job. Both hiring managers I spoke with said they were interviewing for several different positions. So, the people who didn't make me an offer faster are losing out. LOL, that's their problem now. Monday I should have the formal paperwork and start the final background check. I start Dec 17th assuming I don't have any warrants LOL.. I don't.
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 12-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Been a crazy week on the interview scene. Got a callback on a job I did a phone screen for November 9th where an on site interview was supposed to be imminent. This happened right after getting a call from a former contract vendor who I did contract gigs for from 2012 to 2016 when the client company forced me to change vendors. Anyway, WebEx for the contract gig Tuesday afternoon, on site interview Wednesday morning for the first full time employee real job with benefits. This morning I got the call telling me I've got the full time employee with benefits job. An hour later the other former contract vendor is trying to reach me with "important details" about the 6 month contract gig. I'm cool with contract gigs, bounced around there for the past 12 years with this being the only real gap I hit there. Anyway, I called the real FT job recruiter back asking when I will get the offer paperwork explaining that another recruiter also seems poised to make an offer.. and the both jobs are for the same group at the same company. Got in touch with HR to speak with the lady putting together my offer. She confirmed all the details, salary rate, benefits I will get totally rock! I told her about the other recruiter giving her a heads up that there is another vendor/recruiter also seeming ready to make me a similar offer, told her I'll stick with this one..

So, finally called back the contract gig recruiter and they're sooo pissed! They are trying to say it is for the same job. Both hiring managers I spoke with said they were interviewing for several different positions. So, the people who didn't make me an offer faster are losing out. LOL, that's their problem now. Monday I should have the formal paperwork and start the final background check. I start Dec 17th assuming I don't have any warrants LOL.. I don't.
    @NoSwitch: Now that's some AWESOME news! Congrats.

God

Andddddddddddddddddd im back in Australia.....after 4 years in canada.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

@NoSwitch: Now that's some AWESOME news! Congrats.
    Got to play snow day today. 14" by the time it changed to rain and sleet. Lost power most of the morning, but came back on at 1. Left the generator out and ready with ice now falling from the sky washing away the snow. School's cancelled tomorrow. Hoping I'll be able to get though the hoops printing, signing, and returning the new job offer when it comes via email tomorrow. Roads should be passable by tomorrow mid day then freeze again nights until it's gone.

Earth Punk

I so don't miss that weather. Although I used to love skiing.

C/S,
    Rev J

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    Just in time for summer and some riding. Is your area really hot right now?

Global Moderator

haha they weren't calling for any snow up here... Maybe a light dusting but it just didn't stop, ended up with 6.5 inches by Sunday night and we lost power for about 3 hours. Ended up staying home from work Monday and just got in today but the roads were awful.

Skate Pirate

So, the local thrift shop has a 7.75" board with Grind King trucks, Pig wheels, and some rando greaseball bearings for $26. The catch is, it's autographed by Steve Caballero.

The deck is unrideable, and I don't give a shart about Cab's autograph, but I'm curious about the trucks and wheels. $26 is a heckuva good deal for trucks and wheels, if they're both serviceable, and it's a good enough deal for just the trucks. How are Grind King trucks circa 2004 or 2005? I know they got weird a few years later, but I don't know much beyond that. Same goes for Pig wheels...They were good at some point in the past, then slipped off the radar.

Gravity Slave Moderator

I'd offer then 20 if I had a use for the wheels and trucks. Now, if it was an 80s Powell Peralta deck signed by CAB??? Hell to the YA I'd not leave the store without it.

Skate Pirate

I'd offer then 20 if I had a use for the wheels and trucks. Now, if it was an 80s Powell Peralta deck signed by CAB??? Hell to the YA I'd not leave the store without it.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. The deck is nothing special; a popsicle made by either Join or Riot skates (trendy font made it hard to read). I was more intrigued by the trucks and wheels, but I can't say as I need anything that narrow; the only boards I have that are truckless are 8.5" or wider.