• Still no

9 7.69%
  • Really, not new here

4 3.42%
  • Yes, I am new here!

28 23.93%
  • Zombie from long ago

17 14.53%
Page 3008 of 3013 FirstFirst ... 2008250829082958299830063007300830093010 ... LastLast
Results 60,141 to 60,160 of 60258

Thread: Post your random thought.

Skate Pirate

Well, I've done it. I pulled the trigger on a new freestyle board.

Earth Punk

So what are you getting?
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

That Decomposed Yoyo off of eBay, with Speedlab Sirens. I emailed Witter and asked if he could combine shipping, which saved me a substantial bit of money. I'm not buying this as a celebration of anything, but I did win a $50 gift card at work that'll allow me to divert a few bucks from groceries into fun money...and budgeting is, as we all know, the worst part of being an adult

Not sure what I'll do for bearings...I've got a spare set of Toy Machine T-Sects, which were some of my favorites, since they seemed to get faster with abuse. Otherwise, I've got an assorted set of random Rock N Rons that are ages old.

And, I've got some 7.25" Royal trucks, which a quick search of the forums here seems to indicate aren't that great...but neither am I. Furthermore, I'm armed with the unbridled enthusiasm of the new trick tip videos, and the Freestyle Podcast.

Regarding griptape and stuff, I'll probably slap a sticker on the top of the board in the center, then cut around it...the local store sells Minilogo and Grizzly, which is what I'm told all the cool kids are rockin' these days...but, I like the heck out of Mob grip, which is only sold at the Zumiez in the next town over. Or, I could stickerbomb the top and cover it in clear. So many choices, man. So many choices. The skateshop might have some plastics, but I'm not really super concerned with stuff like that. And, I know I have a box full of hard-ass bushings to trick out the trucks with.

I do miss assembling and tuning boards like this...

Earth Punk

My griptape weirdness is I put Mob on the nose and tail 3rds of the top and Black Magic Sole Saver on the middle 3rd since is is a little less grippy right on that sweet spot for Walk the dogs. Also if you plan on doing Caspers putting clear griptape on the bottom of the nose and tail.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    My griptape weirdness is I put Mob on the nose and tail 3rds of the top and Black Magic Sole Saver on the middle 3rd since is is a little less grippy right on that sweet spot for Walk the dogs. Also if you plan on doing Caspers putting clear griptape on the bottom of the nose and tail.
    I've got some small strips of griptape for bass drum pedals in my skate bag that are nearly the exact same size as the old Alva RipGrip (which, last I knew, was still for sale on oldschoolskates.com )

Sail Hatan.

Filling up Ol' Righty.

Skate Pirate

Oh. Hi there.

Earth Punk

I just found out that one of my neighbors is a graphic artist for Vans. I knew that he skated because we talked about that some some. I just didn't know that he worked for Vans.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

I just found out that one of my neighbors is a graphic artist for Vans. I knew that he skated because we talked about that some some. I just didn't know that he worked for Vans.
    That's pretty cool!

Speaking of graphic design, would there be any interest in doing some Skaterscafe custom wheels? I found this website:
    http://www.bettersk8wheels.com/custom-wheels
    and it brought to mind a deck I designed to raise funds for the old Ramprage...unfortunately, that project never came to fruition before the site closed up.

Earth Punk

By the way how is the new set up treating you?

I've got a couple of Decomposed Witter Chengs (One I'm skating and the other in reserve). What I like about it is the sweet spot for footwork tricks (the pocket right behind the trucks) is especially sweet and comfortable.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

By the way how is the new set up treating you?

I've got a couple of Decomposed Witter Chengs (One I'm skating and the other in reserve). What I like about it is the sweet spot for footwork tricks (the pocket right behind the trucks) is especially sweet and comfortable.
    It's so much more comfortable than the old Capital kick-and-a-half that I owned and dinked around on a few years ago. The wood feels lively, and I'm really digging the Speedlab urethane. Even though I threw the hardest bushings I own into the trucks, there's still a little flex in there, so I'll probably need to go buy a set of maybe black Doh Doh's or purple Khiros to really lock the trucks down.

Also, the Shake Junt grip tape is awesome. It's not quite as grippy as Mob, but doesn't feel as cheap as Minilogo. Is it worth $8 when a sheet of Minilogo costs $5? Performance wise, probably not, but Shake Junt is such an amazing green color.

Earth Punk

Yeah, I'm running 100a Mini Logo Bushings but am thinking about swapping them out for something a tad softer.I think slightly softer bushings would help my space walks a little.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Yeah, I'm running 100a Mini Logo Bushings but am thinking about swapping them out for something a tad softer.I think slightly softer bushings would help my space walks a little.
    You might try ditching the cupped washers and putting some flat washers on the trucks instead...without that lip, the bushings can deform a little more, which gives the feeling of being just a scosche softer.

I bought some 98a Khiros today, which firmed up my ride magnificently. Now, I just need to focus on practicing, and specifically, what to practice on.

Earth Punk

I'd start with footwork tricks. This is what helps develop the balance, coordination and control for other tricks. A couple of pointers from my experience is to think of your trucks and wheels as a fulcrum. From my experience the sweet spot for most footwork tricks is to put my arch just behind the back bolts. That center your weight a little closer to that fulcrum resulting in less tail drag.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

I'd start with footwork tricks. This is what helps develop the balance, coordination and control for other tricks. A couple of pointers from my experience is to think of your trucks and wheels as a fulcrum. From my experience the sweet spot for most footwork tricks is to put my arch just behind the back bolts. That center your weight a little closer to that fulcrum resulting in less tail drag.
    Yeah, I've been watching some of the Freestyle Trick Tip videos from Bob (@tricktips) and Tony (whose Skaterscafe Username I don't know) on Youtube. Working on my endovers and monster walks; trying to get up into a pogo or 50/50 stance.

I gotta get a tail skid or something...I used to own a big ol' box of spare plastics, but sold them off a few years ago. Or, maybe not. What's the worst that happens, the tail wears down and I have to buy a new board?

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Yeah, I've been watching some of the Freestyle Trick Tip videos from Bob (@tricktips) and Tony (whose Skaterscafe Username I don't know) on Youtube. Working on my endovers and monster walks; trying to get up into a pogo or 50/50 stance.

I gotta get a tail skid or something...I used to own a big ol' box of spare plastics, but sold them off a few years ago. Or, maybe not. What's the worst that happens, the tail wears down and I have to buy a new board?
    When I was first starting the only two or three trick resources were Keith Butterfield, Per Canguru (although all of his stuff is in Portuguese some of it is subtitled), and the original "Licence to Skate (Freestyle).

This is a good one for where to start:

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Cool wurst thred EVAR

When I was first starting the only two or three trick resources were Keith Butterfield, Per Canguru (although all of his stuff is in Portuguese some of it is subtitled), and the original "Licence to Skate (Freestyle).

This is a good one for where to start:

Too bad we can't tag users here. Connor was a pretty active poster, wasn't he

edit:
    Wait, that railstand looked really good. I was struggling through Tony Gale's version, and I suppose it would be best to try and learn both, but this one just looks so smooth.

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Too bad we can't tag users here. Connor was a pretty active poster, wasn't he

edit:
    Wait, that railstand looked really good. I was struggling through Tony Gale's version, and I suppose it would be best to try and learn both, but this one just looks so smooth.
    Yeah both methods have their places. The thing I was noticing watching Tony Gales trick tips on Heelside Rail, Casper, and Old School Kickflip is that they all have similar mechanics with the back foot hooking under and pulling the edge and learning them in that order as each uses slightly more strength/pressure to get the board into position.

Edit: thanks to NoSwitch for getting me up to that platinum sun.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I don't really do freestyle anymore to speak of. My balance and coordination are too far gone to ride the little boards. I still like to look at them though..

Skate Pirate

Yeah both methods have their places. The thing I was noticing watching Tony Gales trick tips on Heelside Rail, Casper, and Old School Kickflip is that they all have similar mechanics with the back foot hooking under and pulling the edge and learning them in that order as each uses slightly more strength/pressure to get the board into position.

Edit: thanks to NoSwitch for getting me up to that platinum sun.
    So, in college, my signature longboard trick was The Shanker... basically a body varial where you kick the nose down, lifting the tail of the board, and pivot your front foot around the back foot.

Is that even a trick in freestyle? Does it have a proper name?