• Still no

9 7.83%
  • Really, not new here

4 3.48%
  • Yes, I am new here!

26 22.61%
  • Zombie from long ago

17 14.78%
Page 2989 of 3002 FirstFirst ... 19892489288929392979298729882989299029912999 ... LastLast
Results 59,761 to 59,780 of 60022

Thread: Post your random thought.

Earth Punk

Shows you how much attention I pay to that bullshit. I am sure that there is still an equivalent of that type of pop star that is still happening. If I paid attention to pop music I'd come up with someone more current. Point being it hasn't changed. Maybe you can suggest someone of that ilk to me.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

We could also add the term "Classical Rock" to the mix. Stuff with classical influence like ELP, Ingvwie, Dream Theater, etc.. What do we think of when we are describing anything as a "classic"? With cars it's something old but still considered cool and desirable right? Doesn't really matter if it's 20 years old or 90 years old right??

Earth Punk

I always thought that the rock stuff with classical influences was prog. Unless you are talking about the 90s shred stuff like Yngwie Malmsteen which is neoclassical.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Jazz Fusion influenced is progressive..

Earth Punk

But then again so is Gentle Giant, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, and Jethro Tull. Although with Tull there is a lot of English folk music and some swing. Don't forget that ELP did "Fanfare for the Common Man," by Aaron Copeland and " The Barbarian" was a reworking of a Bartok piece. I've also heard live takes of King Crimson doing "Mars" by Gustav Holst. I could also sit down and point out just about all of the Stravinsky reorchestrations on "Absolutely Free" by Frank Zappa. Interestingly there is a lot of stuff from the "Master of Puppets" through "And Justice for All," period of Metallica that reminds me a lot of Bartok and Stravinsky.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Shows you how much attention I pay to that bullshit. I am sure that there is still an equivalent of that type of pop star that is still happening. If I paid attention to pop music I'd come up with someone more current. Point being it hasn't changed. Maybe you can suggest someone of that ilk to me.
    That's exactly it though, Green Day, Blink 182, Relient K, Avril Lavigne, and other bands of that ilk are pop-punk...from that evolved (IMO, at least) the emo and screamo sounds of Panic! At The Disco, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, and that whole scene. Then, from the loins of that union (add in guest appearances from Uncles Alt-Rock and Post-Grunge) begat the indie scene, and eventually the hipster scene.

^^That paragraph is entirely based upon my experience with my peers, classmates, and friends, and their evolution of musical tastes during my junior high, high school, and college years

Gravity Slave Moderator

All reasons why "classic rock" should be defined like classic cars are.. Not a particular finite style or era, but anything well aged which holds its value well.. i.e.. it's still well known and well loved. We need better adjectives to define genres and styles.. "classic" is too generic.

Sail Hatan.

Pop punk mentioned, time to delete my account.

Edit: Classic rock is 50's through 70's. 80's is the true rise of heavy metal and a more in between variant of classic and modern rock.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Pop punk mentioned, time to delete my account.

Edit: Classic rock is 50's through 70's. 80's is the true rise of heavy metal and a more in between variant of classic and modern rock.
    And 20 years from now will we will call 2018 music "modern rock"? FWIW.. 50s was called "oldies rock" back in the 80s..

Sail Hatan.

Im sure a name will develop for modern day music. The 90's became grunge and alt rock. The early 2000's i like to refer to as Trash, because it sucked ass. So im sure the current day will eventually earn its own genre. Or maybe rock has just become Rock Music at this point.

Skate Pirate

The early 00's were an interesting time in music, being that we were hot on the heels of Napster, and well in the midst of the rise of social media and internet culture (Web 2.0 as it was known back in the day). This allowed everyone with an internet connection to be able to access nearly any music they'd ever want to, at their fingertips. My peers prided themselves on having massive mp3 collections, hence us damned kids and our iPods. That's flipped now, and kids can't even comprehend the idea of owning music, period. I think there's a direct line from music piracy, as it were, to internet streaming like Pandora and Spotify.

This also coincides with pop music becoming more homogenized...indie music infused into pop music, as did hip-hop and rap. Then, that folded into "bro" country; the rap-inspired hick-hop garbage that is Florida/Georgia Line and their associated scene (including the kitschy-as-hell Boys Round Here from Blake Shelton...Blake Shelton sucks). While pop (radio) music is becoming more and more the same, potentially leading to a monogenre within the next 20 years, this leaves good, non-crappy music to the underground and local scenes. I mean, the record industry isn't stupid...they're going to make what gets listens. And, those of us who have felt lift behind by the pop music industry really aren't their money-makers anyway.

Sail Hatan.

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    The early 00's were an interesting time in music, being that we were hot on the heels of Napster, and well in the midst of the rise of social media and internet culture (Web 2.0 as it was known back in the day). This allowed everyone with an internet connection to be able to access nearly any music they'd ever want to, at their fingertips. My peers prided themselves on having massive mp3 collections, hence us damned kids and our iPods. That's flipped now, and kids can't even comprehend the idea of owning music, period. I think there's a direct line from music piracy, as it were, to internet streaming like Pandora and Spotify.

This also coincides with pop music becoming more homogenized...indie music infused into pop music, as did hip-hop and rap. Then, that folded into "bro" country; the rap-inspired hick-hop garbage that is Florida/Georgia Line and their associated scene (including the kitschy-as-hell Boys Round Here from Blake Shelton...Blake Shelton sucks). While pop (radio) music is becoming more and more the same, potentially leading to a monogenre within the next 20 years, this leaves good, non-crappy music to the underground and local scenes. I mean, the record industry isn't stupid...they're going to make what gets listens. And, those of us who have felt lift behind by the pop music industry really aren't their money-makers anyway.
    Speaking of Ipods, i just bought a Gen 2 64gb Ipod touch because i filled up my 32 gb one. Buddy of mine saw this and said "Why did you buy that, dont you have a phone"?

Physically cringed.

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've only got about half of my music in the car at any given time.. 8 gig player with stuff mrsnoswitch and kids like.. 8 gig player with punk, rap, hard rock, metal, lots of cuss word stuff me and my son like..

Sail Hatan.

Tell Mrs. NoSwitch to balls up and listen to some hard shit.

Going to see Ghost on Wednesday. Easily my favorite modern band and one of my favorites of all time.

Global Moderator

i've seen ghost a few times, they've played some of the festivals i used to work when i worked for that festival company. Not my thing but i appreciate the musicianship, good songwriters.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Tell Mrs. NoSwitch to balls up and listen to some hard shit.

Going to see Ghost on Wednesday. Easily my favorite modern band and one of my favorites of all time.
    Until you're married, it's tough to tell what your girl REALLY likes. The hardest stuff mrsnoswitch really likes would probably be Live. We do share the love for most 70s and 80s rock. I was surprised at how much she dug the Foreigner concert. We saw them with Bohnam and Cheap Trick. I liked Cheap Trick best of those three. Bohnam was actually a bit disappointing since there were so many Zeppelin songs they didn't play but I get that he's only got permission to do a few instead of the entire anthology and had limited set time as well. That, and his dad was WAY better than he is. Not that he sucks because he's a good drummer. His father was amazing.

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post

The thing that you have to remember is that in general the music business caters to 14 year old white girls from the suburbs because they are the ones who have the most disposable income to spend on music and music related paraphernalia (t-shirts, posters, notebooks, Tiger Beat Magazine). If you go to any corporate record store (if you can find one) and look at the display of their top sellers you will see that trend. So what you get from pop music is young female artists like Demi Lovato, or Ariana Grande who to me are interchangeable with any other flavor of the week female pop star who they try to promote as an image that 14 year old girls from the suburbs would want to be, or any stupid boy band or teen heartthrob who they try and promote almost as "potential boyfriend material". The major labels will lend these artists retarded amounts of money to record material that could be recorded in a closet and cross collateralize with their merchandise so that now that those teenage girls aren't buying music any more they will still make their money back on merch. If you get a few moments watch some YouTube videos on the whole "My Digital Escape" controversy. It is hardly new. It's the same old exploitation done by a younger generation.

The music business is a business. They deal with supply and demand and they control both. It is easy to find and promote mediocre crap, If there was a demand for great art within that industry then demand would outstrip supply fairly quickly whereas if they promote and create a demand for mediocre crap there is a nearly endless supply.

The thing is there has always been more interesting music coming out of the underground. If you care enough to dig you can find it. The sad part is very few people care.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

My 14 year old daughter spends more on music than the rest of the family combined (except for my gear, just talking about recorded products).

Earth Punk

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    My 14 year old daughter spends more on music than the rest of the family combined (except for my gear, just talking about recorded products).
    Exactly. I remember reading this lecture that Frank Zappa gave in 1984 at the American Society of University Composers Convention:

https://otg.brainiac.com/fz.htm

My favorite part is this:

Today, just as in the glorious past, the composer had to accommodate the specific taste (no matter how bad) of THE KING - reincarnated as a movie or TV producer, the head of the opera company, the lady with the frightening hair on the 'special committee' or her niece Debbie.

Some of you don't know about Debbie, since you don't have to deal with radio stations and record companies the way the people from The Real World do, but you ought to find out about her, just in case you decide to visit later.

Debbie is thirteen years old. Her parents like to think of themselves as Average, God-Fearing American White Folk. Her Dad belongs to a corrupt union of some sort and is, as we might suspect, a lazy, incompetent, overpaid, ignorant son-of-a-bitch.

Her mother is a sexually maladjusted mercenary shrew who lives to spend her husband's paycheck on ridiculous clothes - to make her look 'younger.'

Debbie is incredibly stupid. She has been raised to respect the values and traditions which her parents hold sacred. Sometimes she dreams about being kissed by a lifeguard.

When the people in the Secret Office Where They Run Everything From found out about Debbie, they were thrilled. She was perfect. She was hopeless. She was their kind of girl.

She was immediately chosen to become the Archetypical Imaginary Pop Music Consumer & Ultimate Arbiter of Musical Taste for the Entire Nation - from that moment on, everything musical in this country would have to be modified to conform to what they computed to be her needs and desires.

Debbie's 'taste' determined the size, shape and color of all music broadcast and sold in the United States during the latter part of the twentieth century. Eventually she grew up to be just like her mother, and married a guy just like her Dad. She has somehow managed to reproduce herself. The people in The Secret Office have their eye on her daughter at this very moment.

Now, as a serious American composer, should Debbie really concern you? I think so.

Since Debbie prefers only short songs with lyrics about boy-girl relationships, sung by persons of indeterminate sex, wearing S&M clothing, and because there is Large Money involved, the major record companies (which a few years ago occasionally risked investment in recordings of new works) have all but shut down their classical divisions, seldom recording new music.

There is so much truth to this even today.

Edit: This wasn't meant to slag you or your daughter NoSwitch.
    Last edited by Rev J; 05-20-2018 at 08:43 PM.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    The thing that you have to remember is that in general the music business caters to 14 year old white girls from the suburbs because they are the ones who have the most disposable income to spend on music and music related paraphernalia (t-shirts, posters, notebooks, Tiger Beat Magazine). If you go to any corporate record store (if you can find one) and look at the display of their top sellers you will see that trend. So what you get from pop music is young female artists like Demi Lovato, or Ariana Grande who to me are interchangeable with any other flavor of the week female pop star who they try to promote as an image that 14 year old girls from the suburbs would want to be, or any stupid boy band or teen heartthrob who they try and promote almost as "potential boyfriend material". The major labels will lend these artists retarded amounts of money to record material that could be recorded in a closet and cross collateralize with their merchandise so that now that those teenage girls aren't buying music any more they will still make their money back on merch. If you get a few moments watch some YouTube videos on the whole "My Digital Escape" controversy. It is hardly new. It's the same old exploitation done by a younger generation.

The music business is a business. They deal with supply and demand and they control both. It is easy to find and promote mediocre crap, If there was a demand for great art within that industry then demand would outstrip supply fairly quickly whereas if they promote and create a demand for mediocre crap there is a nearly endless supply.

The thing is there has always been more interesting music coming out of the underground. If you care enough to dig you can find it. The sad part is very few people care.
    There's science behind that...The part of your brain that really gets into music is the first part to mature, right around that highschool age. That's why we all look so fondly upon the terrible music that we loved in high school.

I mean, pop music is scientifically engineered to be catchy...there are specific numbers of syllables that each verse requires, a specific number of beats in each hook, and a specific number of repetitions (usually 3) to really hook the chorus into the listener's brain and make that song stick. There are actual scientists working on this stuff to make pop music as addicting as possible!

...nearly as fascinating as the guy whose job it is to put the fly decal inside urinals, at the optimum place to reduce spillage...