• Still no

9 8.65%
  • Really, not new here

3 2.88%
  • Yes, I am new here!

19 18.27%
  • Zombie from long ago

15 14.42%
Page 2931 of 2934 FirstFirst ... 1931243128312881292129292930293129322933 ... LastLast
Results 58,601 to 58,620 of 58677

Thread: Post your random thought.

aight thanks for the advice, we play punk btw, releasing a demo within a month so ill probably post it here for your guys to check it out
    Quote Originally Posted by cfagit1
    Gettin' sum G-Star shit tomorrow, stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    You're probably going to fuck up but don't stress on it, 95% of on-stage mistakes go unnoticed by crowd members. Just keep playing. I was in a band a while back and we had a pretty big show, about 400 people in the room. The guy that we had as our stagehand/"guitar tech" tuned my first guitar wrong......i played the whole first minute and a half of the song out of tune and having to adjust on the spot to make it sound as least-awful as I could until there was a pause in my parts where i could throw my rack tuner on real quick. Ruined the entire set for me, but everyone after the show apparently didn't notice. Every time i'd get a "dude, the set was sick!" i'd reply with "Except that first song when my guitar was in the wrong tuning" and their response was like "Wait, what? really?" haha

It was 17 degrees at my house when i woke up this morning so i can imagine what Beech is like haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Duck!

Just kidding. Pay attention to the audience and play to them. Before and after your set don't be a dick. You aren't playing in Guns And Roses so putting on the rock star act won't win you any friends or fans.
    On the serious side.. If you mess up try to find a way to make it look like you MEANT it to be like that. Don't shrug your shoulders and look at other folks. Smile, maybe do the same thing again with purpose hahaha! Pros make a mistake look like a genius move.. You can work that with punk or overly progressive songs your audience isn't familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    On the serious side.. If you mess up try to find a way to make it look like you MEANT it to be like that. Don't shrug your shoulders and look at other folks. Smile, maybe do the same thing again with purpose hahaha! Pros make a mistake look like a genius move.. You can work that with punk or overly progressive songs your audience isn't familiar with.
    yeah haha kind of had that in my mind, just play it cool if you miss like it was supposed to happen. our drummer is kind of all over the place and that's the most frightening part for me, he is really inconsistent, some songs he can play great and others he goes completely off beat. we will probably have to change him which is a bummer since he is a nice guy but he really has rhythm problems.
    when one of the teachers which I really thought was cool because he helped me with bullies

Global Moderator

He needs to start practicing to a metronome with accented clicks if that's the case! The drummer getting out of time is the worst haha.

I was spoiled, the last band I played in, we had some money behind us. We played with in-ear monitors so we could not only hear ourselves crystal clear but we also had a click track playing because we also had a light show so getting even a fraction off time wasn't an option. I got very used to always being on perfect time, so now when I play with people without all that and they're fluctuating i get so frustrated haha

Gravity Slave Moderator

He needs to start practicing to a metronome with accented clicks if that's the case! The drummer getting out of time is the worst haha.

I was spoiled, the last band I played in, we had some money behind us. We played with in-ear monitors so we could not only hear ourselves crystal clear but we also had a click track playing because we also had a light show so getting even a fraction off time wasn't an option. I got very used to always being on perfect time, so now when I play with people without all that and they're fluctuating i get so frustrated haha
    Clicktracks can also fail miserably if the whole band is playing opposite of the drummer but still in perfect time opposite ends of the measure. White Zombie had a click track DISASTER at the VMAs or Grammy's on live TV several years ago.

It's nice to have every instrument backed up with the ability to send the click track for that instrument through the PA instead of the musician's live amp when you know which one's wrong or out of tune badly. Nice when you can have a looping pedal to extend sections of a tune live rather than being locked in to the end. That's not usually an option when you have a video running in synch with the performance though. You're pretty much playing along to a pre recorded set when that is in play.

Scrubs Nerd

Speaking of music I just recorded a new cover. It's my first real attemp at multi-tracking. It's a song my friends really like but there were no tabs to be found on the internet so I had to figure it out by ear (which is more effort than I'll usually put into a cover). Although I made a dumb mistake, remember kids, don't trust lyrics on the internet, write them out yourself.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Clicktracks can also fail miserably if the whole band is playing opposite of the drummer but still in perfect time opposite ends of the measure. White Zombie had a click track DISASTER at the VMAs or Grammy's on live TV several years ago.

It's nice to have every instrument backed up with the ability to send the click track for that instrument through the PA instead of the musician's live amp when you know which one's wrong or out of tune badly. Nice when you can have a looping pedal to extend sections of a tune live rather than being locked in to the end. That's not usually an option when you have a video running in synch with the performance though. You're pretty much playing along to a pre recorded set when that is in play.
    We all played to one click track file, played from the computer in which our light program was also synced to. The click was sent to our wireless in-ear monitor packs, no click sound came from any live amps or stage monitors. Our entire set was timed and programmed ahead of time. Our bass player was in control of all of it, so i'm not entirely sure how it worked, but we never had an issue. He clicked on the computer for the set to start, the lights went along with their program, and I had clicks in my ears with pre-recorded vocal commands on what was coming up. Like, the clicks would start, and I'd hear a voice go "Set start. This one is Tourniquet. And 1.....2.....1..2..3..4..", that song would end, the clicks would take a break for a few second, and repeat the process with a new song. Even the breaks in our set were timed and pre-programmed to the same fashion, voice warning in our ears before any changes and shit.

Gravity Slave Moderator

^^^Ya that's what I'm talking about. Did he also have it set up to add in a pre recorded guitar or keyboard rhythm track with the 1..2...3...4.. .....break.... etc..?

Global Moderator

Yeah, we had scratch tracks coming through quietly in case we for some reason did get lost (never did happen though). If you actually know your songs and practice beforehand, there really isn't a reason or excuse for you to get lost or off time, especially if you're playing to a click through in ears. Questionable musicianship if you get lost playing to a click track haha

Gravity Slave Moderator

Yeah, we had scratch tracks coming through quietly in case we for some reason did get lost (never did happen though). If you actually know your songs and practice beforehand, there really isn't a reason or excuse for you to get lost or off time, especially if you're playing to a click through in ears. Questionable musicianship if you get lost playing to a click track haha
    Depends on how lost. Most people will brain fart here and there occasionally, but quickly recover in a click track-like less than 2 measures before totally back on. To really blow it, miss/forget about a coda or 2nd ending can still happen but not nearly as likely.

yup guys, the first gig went fucking great Everyone was cheering us on, we even got to play an encore, it was great. our drummer did make some mistakes but nothing too major and when he did get out of time, he would completely drop out then come back in, so he did a nice job.

Global Moderator

Glad to hear it went good homie! Keep giggin'! The more you guys do it the tighter it will get.

Wearing pajama pants under my jeans was a good idea.
    Wassup?

Global Moderator

Got approved for our loan and we close on a house on Monday! Now we've got an apartment for another month and a half and a house, that's going to make moving a whole lot less stressful! Should be fun paying double the utilities though haha

Earth Punk

Speaking of click tracks. I just got a great free metronome app for my phone called "Pro Metronome". One of the features that I haven't gotten into using yet is that you can set up the metronome to speed up at certain intervals so you don't have to stop playing to adjust it.

I saw another drum machine online the other day that had a feature called "Drunk Drummer" where you program the amount that the drummer had to drink and it speeds up and slows down at random and starts making subtle or not so subtle mistakes. I think this is a great idea especially for learning how to play with a drummer that is all over the place or just testing your own ability to not necessarily having to count on the drummer.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

congrats on the house ben!

Rev, there are amplifiers now that will switch effects for you based on your click track. The band Periphery uses it, the guitarists don't worry about a thing on stage. They play with in ear monitors, have a click track and their effects change automatically because it's programmed with the click.

(not a live video, just a good song)

Also, boys, I discovered the other day that after literally over a year of not even trying one, i can still do front feeble grinds.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Rev, there are amplifiers now that will switch effects for you based on your click track. The band Periphery uses it, the guitarists don't worry about a thing on stage. They play with in ear monitors, have a click track and their effects change automatically because it's programmed with the click.
    Ya, the mega church we went to for awhile had a six figure stage gear and tech booths. I'm 100% certain they had split tracks recorded for every instrument and back up vocals in their click tracks. Sometimes there were only two or three people on stage yet they had two tracks of guitar, keyboards, 3 part harmonies with back up vocal voices of people I recognized but weren't there that day on songs they do regularly with 3 guitars, keys, etc.. Only time people were hitting pedals was to loop the track longer or wa wa/talk box stuff.

Earth Punk

(not a live video, just a good song)

Also, boys, I discovered the other day that after literally over a year of not even trying one, i can still do front feeble grinds.

Dirty Loops has been using a system like that on stage lately too. I watched a clinic their bassist did at Bass Player Live. He recounted a story where since he is the one in charge of setting up all of the effects/synth patch settings and working the laptop it was also up to him to fix it when it went down during the first song of the set. Fortunately they are currently touring with a second keyboardist who was able to play synth bass backup until the system was back up. I believe that he is using the same preamp that the Periphery guys are.

The other night I was walking down the street listening to this in my headphones:

I was crossing the street when the sample of the car bearing down on you kicked in and it scared the crap out of me because I thought I was going to get hit.
    Last edited by Rev J; 12-19-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

My homie's home from California for the week and we went skating and then I took off yesterday for closing on the house and to remove the toilets and appliances from the house and replace the toilets (appliances come on Friday) but needless to say, I'm sore AF today. Got this cool photo from Sunday of my friend, shot on a Pentax 6x7!

Also, (if it wasn't obvious) I'm a homeowner now!

Global Moderator

That photo is tight, dude!