• Yes, I am new here!

29 23.20%
  • Zombie from long ago

24 19.20%
Page 3050 of 3050 FirstFirst ... 20502550295030003040304830493050
Results 60,981 to 60,990 of 60990

Thread: Post your random thought.

Caveman

Sk8kings... now that's a shop I hadn't thought of in a long time.... Looks like a fun ride rockst*r!
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    That's DOPE! I had a Mode Synnott, think I offered it up here awhile ago. Never really got comfortable with a deep front kick.. Not popping ollies so no need to catch them with that spoon. Left that deck with Bullets and 57mms at the local art district thrift store. Hope whoever scored it there is enjoying it :-)
    I tried a flat-nosed Capital board back in the day and just couldn't get along with it. I like the kick nose for the ability to feel where I am on the board.

Cafe Fuzz

Has anyone else noticed that the skaterscafe out in the scene these days all do tricks on and off rails and ledges? It's like real life THPS out there haha. Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

God

Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the skaterscafe out in the scene these days all do tricks on and off rails and ledges? It's like real life THPS out there haha. Crazy

Hahah but yeah for real, skatings nuts these days

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Skate Pirate

Just spitballin' ideas here, armchair quarterbacking or whatever. I bought my first longboard in 2007, a pool board shortly after, and then got into street skating a little bit after that. Back then, the whole fliptrick-manual-fliptrick combo fad was in full force. Boards were slightly narrower and lighter to accommodate those tricks; that's where we saw Element's Helium boards, Almost's Resin8, and tons of other crazy ideas...boards were 7.75" on average, going down to 7.5 and up to 7.875. By the time I got a job in a skateshop, it's not that weight didn't matter, but boards were trending bigger; 8.0 and larger, to accommodate the stresses of bangers. Guys were going bigger and harder than they were 5 years earlier.

Did that transition or evolution raise the barrier to entry of skateboarding? Or, how much did that transition affect the overall growth of the sport and the industry-wide contraction we're currently experiencing?

Retired Staff

I think it has more to do with the 10 year cycles. If you look at the history of skateboarding going back to the 1960's you can damn near plot skateboardings popularity on a graph with the peaks on 5 years (1965, 75, 85, etc) and troughs on the 00 years. Usually something will happen in the media to push it back to the forefront. Like when I was a kid it was Back to the Future.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I think it has more to do with the 10 year cycles. If you look at the history of skateboarding going back to the 1960's you can damn near plot skateboardings popularity on a graph with the peaks on 5 years (1965, 75, 85, etc) and troughs on the 00 years. Usually something will happen in the media to push it back to the forefront. Like when I was a kid it was Back to the Future.
    That was 85.. Did the Tony Hawk video games come out mid or late 90s? 90's was kind of a lull overall though, hangover from the late 80s massive popularity. Early 00s was when I noticed more people skating again.

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

I think skating died down in the last few years, but maybe I'm massively biased because it's a coming of age thing. To further support my argument, many skate shops closed and West49 and Zumiez have a smaller section for skate stuff and often they don't stock up.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NightRocker View Post
    I think skating died down in the last few years, but maybe I'm massively biased because it's a coming of age thing. To further support my argument, many skate shops closed and West49 and Zumiez have a smaller section for skate stuff and often they don't stock up.
    But posing is way up.. Skate shoes and clothing are still flying off the shelves..

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    That was 85.. Did the Tony Hawk video games come out mid or late 90s? 90's was kind of a lull overall though, hangover from the late 80s massive popularity. Early 00s was when I noticed more people skating again.
    The X Games started up around that 95 point, then THPS boosted everything into overdrive in 99 or 2000. Skateboarding grew and grew, until it was outgrown by longboarding in 2010, and stayed there until 2013 or 2014. I'm drawing on several podcasts here, with guys like Roger Hickey and Paul Shmitt who've said that the industry in 2019/2020 is the worst it's been in over 30 years...shoe companies are folding, hardwood brands are contracting; everything is downsizing...and yet, we're still getting awesome videos and clips, because we're more connected than ever through social media.