4 5.41%
  • Yes, I had a great year

1 1.35%
Page 3084 of 3084 FirstFirst ... 20842584298430343074308230833084
Results 61,661 to 61,674 of 61674

Thread: Post your random thought.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Tuition and fees have gone way up man.. Whatever he's gotta do to help with the bills..
    You ain't joking - one semester at community college this year cost as much as a semester at State University back when I got my bachelors.

God

What do you guys do for work? Let me get real for a minute, is being in your 30's too late to change career paths? I know its stupid to stay doing something your not super happy doing....im just not sure what my next move is. Ive been doing landscaping since i was 20, im now 33.... I did my apprenticeship, always enjoyed it, liked working outdoors and with cool people for most part....lately ive just been getting super burnt out on it. For the past 6 months ive been doing a maintenence based run, basically just your average mowing, hedging, garden prep and maintaining etc with the occasional laying turf or moving soil and its cool having a company car and equipment etc but im so over dealing with clients and unhappy with my manager/bosses constantly trying to squeeze as much work in one day as humanly possible that i barely have time to eat lunch....Im hitting a stage where each morning its such a punish to get out of bed and go into work just waiting for the weekend that flys by so fast....i need more in life, i just have no idea what direction to go in or even where to start....Id love to just quit and take a breather to figure things out but unfortunately ive got bills to pay, rent to cover and cant leave all that to the Mrs to handle......being an adult is hard

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    What do you guys do for work? Let me get real for a minute, is being in your 30's too late to change career paths? I know its stupid to stay doing something your not super happy doing....im just not sure what my next move is. Ive been doing landscaping since i was 20, im now 33.... I did my apprenticeship, always enjoyed it, liked working outdoors and with cool people for most part....lately ive just been getting super burnt out on it. For the past 6 months ive been doing a maintenence based run, basically just your average mowing, hedging, garden prep and maintaining etc with the occasional laying turf or moving soil and its cool having a company car and equipment etc but im so over dealing with clients and unhappy with my manager/bosses constantly trying to squeeze as much work in one day as humanly possible that i barely have time to eat lunch....Im hitting a stage where each morning its such a punish to get out of bed and go into work just waiting for the weekend that flys by so fast....i need more in life, i just have no idea what direction to go in or even where to start....Id love to just quit and take a breather to figure things out but unfortunately ive got bills to pay, rent to cover and cant leave all that to the Mrs to handle......being an adult is hard
    I made a pretty big career change this year, after spending 10 years fucking around and struggling, trying to gain a foothold in the construction management side of things. I finally had enough and re-enrolled in community college in their craft beer operations program, and made a switch to craft brewing. I'm currently employed on the packaging line of a brewery, and hoping to work my way up into management and that sort of things.

CoViD was the catalyst for me to leave homebuilding, and our Trumpy stimulus bucks helped me pay for my first semester in the summer. Either the other Trumpy Bucks or Biden Bucks (I can't remember which now) helped pay down some loans (from my 4 year degree) and get the ball rolling on financing my current community college certificate program.

Caveman

Dr_Feelgood: Sorry to hear that you're having a rough go of things at the moment. It wasn't clear to me if you wanted to do a full on career change or simply change employers. Sometimes all it takes is a new boss. I got computer science degree when I was in my early 30s... so never too late to make a change.
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've been there. Through my 20s I had a similar routine.. Job where I could wake and bake, show up, and coast on auto pilot til the work was done... rinse and repeat every day for 10 years. But, no sense of achievement.. physicality involved was great for sweating out a hangover... but began to realize my body wasn't going to be able to handle that routine forever. Went in to retail management around age 30.. little better... got to make schedules for me and crew.. but sucked because we were always open extended hours holiday seasons.. Went back to school and got in to data analysis stuff...

You have options.. If you want to keep with the dirty stuff, get a truck and trailer and branch out on your own, as your customer list grows, hire a crew and add more trucks.. Other trades and apprenticeships.. or perhaps go work for a nursery... you've got good experience on the application of plants and other landscaping products..

Globally, with The Great Resignation... tons of job openings in just about every field. Now's definitely the time to make a move.

God

Thanks for the advice boys, yeah its a hard one, i do enjoy working outdoors and what i do....i think im just tired of working for someone else, busting my ass to get them rich....just feeling burnt out but ill bounce back, just wish i had some idea what other direction to go in if i choose to do so....I would have started my own business but my future is kind of up in the air, i dont know if me and the lady will be moving back to Canada where shes from or staying in Aus, so things have felt not so permanent.

Yo rockstar, one of my old workmates literally just quit and got into brewing beers, he was doing greenkeeping for years and years and just gave it up and got into brewing beer, never been happier.

God

Thanks for the advice boys, yeah its a hard one, i do enjoy working outdoors and what i do....i think im just tired of working for someone else, busting my ass to get them rich....just feeling burnt out but ill bounce back, just wish i had some idea what other direction to go in if i choose to do so....I would have started my own business but my future is kind of up in the air, i dont know if me and the lady will be moving back to Canada where shes from or staying in Aus, so things have felt not so permanent.

Yo rockstar, one of my old workmates literally just quit and got into brewing beers, he was doing greenkeeping for years and years and just gave it up and got into brewing beer, never been happier.

Skate Pirate

It's a unique scene, I can't lie. Nobody really set out to brew beer, everyone just sorta fell into it all.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    It's a unique scene, I can't lie. Nobody really set out to brew beer, everyone just sorta fell into it all.
    One of my son's high school teachers is now working for a mid size "micro" brewery.. Sort of an oxymorn.. The place has a cool location right off I40 and glass walls so you can see the giant steel vats from the interstate..

https://www.redoakbrewery.com/

Caveman

So Dr_Feelgood, given your fluid circumstances, are you going to change jobs in search of a better boss?

This working for a brewery is sounding better everyday. I've been pulling some long hours.

Speaking of long hours, where's Rev_J?
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    One of my son's high school teachers is now working for a mid size "micro" brewery.. Sort of an oxymorn.. The place has a cool location right off I40 and glass walls so you can see the giant steel vats from the interstate..

https://www.redoakbrewery.com/
    The legal definition of "microbrewery" is up to 6,000,000 barrels of production per year, independently owned, and a few other things...Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) only puts out about half of that beer per year.

God

Im gonna keep working for the time being.....seeing the years almost done...maybe try and research what could interest me and maybe make some moves.....im not sure, its a tough one cause some days i enjoy my work, just waiting for something to set me off and ill be out the door haha

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    Belated Happy Birthday Rev J.
    Did you get some time off to do anything fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    So Dr_Feelgood, given your fluid circumstances, are you going to change jobs in search of a better boss?

This working for a brewery is sounding better everyday. I've been pulling some long hours.

Speaking of long hours, where's Rev_J?
    I just got online for the first time in a while. In between my client and my birthdays I marinated a couple of racks of ribs in Jamaican Jerk Sauce, then rubbed them and smoked therefor about 5 hours.

I had Thanksgiving dinner with my dead clients family. I'm still at the point where I don't know what day it is anymore. I've been having problems with my shoulders from sleeping on them the wrong way. I have been cooking a lot lately though.

So Rockstar. What's your favorite beer to make?
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Nameless

i skated for a summer in vancouver this year and fell back in love with it. it's been making me think about this forum a lot and all the good jokes, drama, and annoying teenagers. we had no idea lucky we were to have this little place in time called skaterscafe. it feels like we were all on a bus together for a few years but now everyone has dispersed into the world and i'm by myself at the destination. if any of you ever see someone doing pressure hardflips followed by a few tic tacs, ask if it's Trebor.
    The last man on earth was sitting in his living room when he heard a knock at the door...