• Still no

9 7.20%
  • Really, not new here

4 3.20%
  • Yes, I am new here!

29 23.20%
  • Zombie from long ago

24 19.20%
Page 3039 of 3041 FirstFirst ... 2039253929392989302930373038303930403041 LastLast
Results 60,761 to 60,780 of 60816

Thread: Post your random thought.

God

I won more than once heavily due to my sex appeal

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Gravity Slave Moderator

Buckle up folks. Without extreme measures this virus will be infecting more people than it won't within a month or two. Twice as contagious as the flu and TEN times more fatal. We're not in the high risk of death group. But, those who are will be overwhelming hospitals and emergency services pretty soon. And, as for the seasonal flu killing more people so far, it's been rolling around the planet northern hemisphere in our winter then southern hemisphere in theirs forever. This new nastier, deadlier version will also ramp up like that and be back much bigger and badder after it dies down up here over the summer.

The economic devastation from face to faced service workers not getting paid to goods and services not being produced and sold to businesses failing all over the globe could be worse than The Great Depression of the 1930s. Slowing down the initial spread can make a difference, but we're still all going to get exposed to it eventually, and a lot of people are going to die.

Caveman

Wow NoSwitch, you sound very alarmed... with good reason I guess. I don't disagree with your assessment, I guess that I'm just resigned to the mess that's at our doorstep. I'm glad that the odds seem to be with my children but I'm concerned about my mom and other older relatives... and I'm on the wrong side of the CDC's "If you're older than...." warning messages. Other than some basic prep, there's nothing I can do and stressing won't help. In fact stressing interferes with our immune system.

I was watching too much news... Corona this and Dow that.... so I unplugged and took a walk outside. It was a beautiful sunny day with the trees pushing out spring shoots, and all manner of squirrels and bird out enjoying the early spring. Now that I think about it, I should probably toss my board in the car trunk.

Stay informed but don't watch too much news. If the weather's right, think about getting some skate time. Get some stoke.

Good luck and best wishes to all.
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 03-14-2020 at 01:25 AM.
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Gravity Slave Moderator

Oh, I'm not cowering at home behind locked doors. I don't have any elderly or immune compromised in the house. I do worry about my mother in her nursing home and my sister who has Lupus. Personally, just being a little more careful and added to my not quite crazy prepper supplies. In fact, we're still eating take out food every day. It saves the stock we have at home ready should we be ordered to stay home with all other businesses closed.

Local school system just pushed spring break up to next week from mid April. They will quickly develop an online curriculum over the break and the week after next, kids will do high school from home online until further notice, hopefully going back to the school buildings in April.

And ya, give everyone more space, practice social distancing, do everything you can to avoid exposing vulnerable folks to this. Going ou tfor a walk in the woods, bike ride, skate session, playing your guitar/drums/bass, etc are all things to keep our sanity and get through this.

Cafe Fuzz

I can honestly say, MOTM usually were pretty in-depth. I liked that a lot about them. So many people put in so much work for them. Definitely cool af
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Buckle up folks. Without extreme measures this virus will be infecting more people than it won't within a month or two. Twice as contagious as the flu and TEN times more fatal. We're not in the high risk of death group. But, those who are will be overwhelming hospitals and emergency services pretty soon. And, as for the seasonal flu killing more people so far, it's been rolling around the planet northern hemisphere in our winter then southern hemisphere in theirs forever. This new nastier, deadlier version will also ramp up like that and be back much bigger and badder after it dies down up here over the summer.

The economic devastation from face to faced service workers not getting paid to goods and services not being produced and sold to businesses failing all over the globe could be worse than The Great Depression of the 1930s. Slowing down the initial spread can make a difference, but we're still all going to get exposed to it eventually, and a lot of people are going to die.
    I've spent the last week or so working in the hospital with my client who has CDIF, watching the news and talking to nurses about this.

If you watch past the 3rd story after they talk about the situations in China and Italy, the quarantined cruise ship (which is docked about 10 miles from me) and how the US Government isn't doing enough you get to the real story. The facts, figures and statistics.

According to the WHO:

20% of COVD19 cases require hospitalization.

2% are fatal.

Out of the 2% fatality rate 98% are over the age of 60 or under the age of 5. Out of the remainder 98% have weakened or compromised immune systems.

Basic things like hand washing are the best deterrent.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I've spent the last week or so working in the hospital with my client who has CDIF, watching the news and talking to nurses about this.

If you watch past the 3rd story after they talk about the situations in China and Italy, the quarantined cruise ship (which is docked about 10 miles from me) and how the US Government isn't doing enough you get to the real story. The facts, figures and statistics.

According to the WHO:

2% are fatal.

Out of the 2% fatality rate 98% are over the age of 60 or under the age of 5. Out of the remainder 98% have weakened or compromised immune systems.

Biggest question is.. "Is this the new normal?". Unless we have an effective vaccine (unlikely if it mutates frequently), it will move to the southern hemisphere like the flu does and return seasonally unless we impose a total draconian martial law month long shutdown globally, it son't be going away anytime soon. We can slow it down some, but that's about it otherwise.

Gravity Slave Moderator

According to the WHO:

2% are fatal.

Biggest question is.. "Is this the new normal?". Unless we have an effective vaccine (unlikely if it mutates frequently), it will move to the southern hemisphere like the flu does and return seasonally. Unless we impose a total draconian martial law month long shutdown globally, it won't be going away anytime soon. We can slow it down some, but that's about it otherwise.

Skate Pirate

According to the WHO:

2% are fatal.

Is that 2% fatality rate, 2% of total infections or is that 2% of hospitalizations?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Is that 2% fatality rate, 2% of total infections or is that 2% of hospitalizations?
    Infections.

Retired Staff

OK now it's an emergency.

Gavin Newsom is calling for the closure of bars, wineries, and breweries.

THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!!
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Caveman

Huh, our fed just took emergency action dropped interest rates to zero.... on a Sunday. What does that tell you?
    "Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, Kansas is going bye bye".

I did get a kick out of the advise to "self quarantine". Too many idiots for that to work.
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 03-15-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    Huh, our fed just took emergency action dropped interest rates to zero.... on a Sunday. What does that tell you?
    "Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, Kansas is going bye bye".

I did get a kick out of the advise to "self quarantine". Too many idiots for that to work.
    "There are 2 things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. I'm just not sure about the former," Albert Einstein.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Caveman

"There are 2 things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. I'm just not sure about the former," Albert Einstein.
    That's the spirit Rev J!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Thanks NoSwitch! That's the humor break I needed.

So scientists worry about diseases making the jump from animals to people. I wonder... do animals have the same concern...? "Watch out! Farmer John has a terrible hacking cough.... it could wipe out our whole herd!"
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 03-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Retired Staff

Thanks I was up in the air between that and:

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

Frank Zappa

C/S,
    Rev J

I'm from washington & the schools are closing down, stores are closing earlier, events are closing. On some real shit, we might be in for a rough ride. Not just the virus but the economical effect. I hope America holds our shit together. Stay safe.
    when you fall, you gotta get back up to land the trick.

Caveman

Same thing in NorCal. Everything including schools and kid's sports are shutting down. Hell, big resorts in Las Vegas are folding up their tents for the time being.

I figure that, as NoSwitch noted earlier, we're in for a very wild ride. But we're Americans (mostly) and more importantly.... we're skaters. We can take a gnarly beating and we keep getting back up.

We'll get through this together and we'll be alright.

Caveman

Hey Rev J, It sounds like we have a "Shelter in Place" order coming our way in NorCal.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...d-15135087.php

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...lter-in-place/
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 03-16-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Retired Staff

Yeah, I just realized that this whole thing will have a minimal impact on my lifestyle.

I work as an in home caregiver for disabled people from 4pm until somewhere between 10pm and midnight. Usually I go to bed around 2 or 3 in the morning. So when most people are getting ready for that end of day push, my day is just starting. Since I work with one client in home I'm not interacting with a lot of people when I'm at work and the basic safety precautions like frequently washing hands are second nature to me anyway.

I also spent the last 2 weeks working in the hospital with my client who has a CDIF infection and I paid attention to the numbers and am really not scared. I think a lot of this is overreacting. Granted we should've had a plan in place before this, and it has been horribly mismanaged.

The worldwide figures for this one are that only 20% of cases require hospitalization, and there's a 98% survival rate. I discussed being non plussed based on those numbers with nurses who told me that they wish that more people thought like me.

My client is home now but just before he left the hospital they were going on lockdown.

C/S,
    Rev J