• Still no

9 7.26%
  • Really, not new here

4 3.23%
  • Yes, I am new here!

29 23.39%
  • Zombie from long ago

23 18.55%
Page 3028 of 3030 FirstFirst ... 2028252829282978301830263027302830293030 LastLast
Results 60,541 to 60,560 of 60588

Thread: Post your random thought.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    LOL WUT? You do know that humans are Mammals .. as in mammary centric... AKA born ready to drink milk. And, mammals can nurse other mammals, dogs, cats, squirrels, people milk can be substituted. Yes, some people can be allergic to cows milk. I had to have mine boiled when I was really little. But, as a general rule, humans aren't averse to a high milk products diet unless they're lactose intolerant, aka allergic to milk..
    Boy do I have some news for you about lactose intolerance in the world

Direct excerpt from NIH's .gov website:
    "Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, affecting more than 90 percent of adults in some of these communities."

But what do I know, I'm just a lactose intolerant person with lactose intolerant family members and a lactose intolerant roommate and half of my coworkers are lactose intolerant an-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    Im curious, what do you generally eat in a day, give me the average breakfast/lunch/dinner in your world
    I'm a lazy as fuck cook most days. Tonight I just made refried beans and made a burrito. I don't typically eat 3 meals in a day, schedule usually doesn't allow it. I do a lot of beans and lentils. I like making coconut milk curries, and I've recently started making sushi a lot. Blend cashews and sunflower seeds with a bunch of spices, seaweed, and sriracha and it's eerily similar to spicy tuna so I'll use that. One of my favorite things to make is buffalo ranch chickpea mac and cheese. Blend cashews with nutritional yeast and a bunch of other shit for the sauce, ranch you can make real easily with any kind of alternative milk + dill + pepper + few other spices, most buffalo sauce is vegan. Bake the chickpeas coated in buffalo sauce, mix in the cheese sauce in a pot of pasta, serve over some greens and celery with the ranch drizzled all over it.

I like lentil soup a lot, or just curry lentils and rice with some peppers and onions etc.

Then there's the shit you can make with all the mock shit. I've made a pepperjack stuffed beyond burger (The patties peel a part and remold the same as ground beef does, i stuff that shit all the time), a company called Just recently came out with a really convincing "egg" product that actually scrambles the same and shit so i've made some sausage egg and cheese bagels (there's a really convincing brand of vegan sausage patties). I eat pretty much the same shit as everyone else when it comes to that stuff, just lacks the "Previously was sentient and had cognitive abilities" part hahaha. There's a vegan joint up the road from me that does vegan big macs and I've taken meat eaters with me who thought it was sick, some of them prefer it because they don't feel like shit after they eat it (Bc all vegan junk food is still just plants, just doesn't weigh as heavy and your body doesnt have to work as hard to digest any of it)

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    Boy do I have some news for you about lactose intolerance in the world

Direct excerpt from NIH's .gov website:
    "Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, affecting more than 90 percent of adults in some of these communities."

But what do I know, I'm just a lactose intolerant person with lactose intolerant family members and a lactose intolerant roommate and half of my coworkers are lactose intolerant an-
    I actually do have some background history on this topic. A friend of my sisters went to India back in 1980 with the Save the Children initiative. They brought thousands and thousands of pounds of powdered milk as their grand plan to save all these starving kids who lived in literal food deserts. Well, guess what happened. Lot's of those starving kids died before they figured out their plan was fucked. So ya, it's regional for the most part. But, I can guarantee many North American college students can live off an 80% double cheese pizza and beer diet, present company included.... at least for a few years.. Reduced ability?? Sure, our ability to digest just about everything decreases with age. Same's true with our pets. Ever have a really old dog or cat that you had to put on a really expensive special "kidney diet" regiment because they were puking up everything else you tried to feed them? Same thing happens to people. Our organs start shutting down, very gradually. Happens faster in alcoholics..

Retired Staff

I actually do have some background history on this topic. A friend of my sisters went to India back in 1980 with the Save the Children initiative. They brought thousands and thousands of pounds of powdered milk as their grand plan to save all these starving kids who lived in literal food deserts. Well, guess what happened. Lot's of those starving kids died before they figured out their plan was fucked. So ya, it's regional for the most part. But, I can guarantee many North American college students can live off an 80% double cheese pizza and beer diet, present company included.... at least for a few years.. Reduced ability?? Sure, our ability to digest just about everything decreases with age. Same's true with our pets. Ever have a really old dog or cat that you had to put on a really expensive special "kidney diet" regiment because they were puking up everything else you tried to feed them? Same thing happens to people. Our organs start shutting down, very gradually. Happens faster in alcoholics..
    I just wanted to add this:

I know the discussion is on milk but for me the telling line in this is when they asked about peanut allergies the Dr replied that that was largely a developed country issue.

Regarding lactose intolerance. I learned in school that it largely happens in societies/ethnic groups that don't traditionally ingest a lot of cows milk anyway (largely African or Jewish descent). Not that it doesn't happen in people not of those descents.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

Milk as part of the adult human diet is not a natural thing, hence literally the majority of the worldwide human population showing documented high rates of intolerance. Northern Europeans developed a higher tolerance over time due to the dependency they developed on cows as a main food source, and lactose intolerance is honestly just increasing even within that margin these days. My body all but shuts down if I have even a little bit (13 visits to the toilet in 6 hours when i had two bites of something that i realized had sour cream in it when it was too late, for example). Cheeses are easier for people to digest than milk because enzymes that come into play when making cheese break down lactose over time. Same concept as why some lactose folks can still eat probiotic yoghurt - bacteria eating away at lactose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Regarding lactose intolerance. I learned in school that it largely happens in societies/ethnic groups that don't traditionally ingest a lot of cows milk anyway (largely African or Jewish descent). Not that it doesn't happen in people not of those descents.
    When you look at the numbers, the number of people with no intolerance to lactose as adults are in the minority. Because it's essentially just white folks who have low levels of intolerance.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Don't they drink goat milk in Africa and other places where cows aren't prevalent?

Skate Pirate

I don't have a dog in this fight, but https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ure-180950064/

Retired Staff

Don't they drink goat milk in Africa and other places where cows aren't prevalent?
    I was thinking this. Plus Yak Milk in the Himalayas, Reindeer Milk in the Tundra, Camel Milk in the Middle East etc.

Now I'm willing to bet if you give cows milk to someone from any of these regions they will have adverse reactions since their bodies aren't used to it.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

On an unrelated subject I'm going to see Stanley Clarke tomorrow night.

For those unfamiliar with his work this isn't his best known piece but probably the most familiar to you:

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

OK that was a little too "Smooth Jazz" to me so here's an older track:

C/S,
    Rev J

God

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Skate Pirate

I paid for an online guitar class last summer, did about 3 videos (out of 14), then simply ran out of time to follow along. I was pleasantly surprised when, yesterday nearly a year later, I logged on and saw that my account was still active! So, I'm going back down that rabbit hole. The course is an intermediate level series on shaping chords in a practical manner - we all get a little sloppy with chords when we're bangin' em out, and these videos are put on by a professional session guitarist, focusing on exactly where you can be a little sloppy and still sound good. I'm pretty stoked

Retired Staff

One of my favorite ways to practice is to play chords into a looper pedal and play scales/modes against them to hear the relationship between them.

Jazz Fusion guitarist Allan Holdsworth did a cool instructional video back in the 90s and has a section about constructing chords using scale shapes that I found on YouTube that was really good.

Skate Pirate

One of my favorite ways to practice is to play chords into a looper pedal and play scales/modes against them to hear the relationship between them.

Jazz Fusion guitarist Allan Holdsworth did a cool instructional video back in the 90s and has a section about constructing chords using scale shapes that I found on YouTube that was really good.
    I gotta get a looper...but there are a few other things that I'd like to buy first.

Retired Staff

Here's the video I was talking about:

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Every time I log on and see new spambots, I can imagine NoSwitch stretching his arms, cracking his knuckles, and flipping his hat around backwards before shouting back to his wife "Just a minute honey, duty calls!"

Retired Staff

Yeah we got quite the spam storm over the last couple of days.

C/S,
    Rev J

God

Noswitch is the real MVP

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Retired Staff

Tonight I ordered a pre seasoned cast iron grill pan. I should get it on Friday in time to make some Jerk Chicken.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Tonight I ordered a pre seasoned cast iron grill pan. I should get it on Friday in time to make some Jerk Chicken.
    Wife bought a couple several years ago and we used them for a couple weeks. Too heavy and difficult to use, wash, put away, handle while hot (we had small kids at that time). etc. But, if I were solo I'd totally use one and just leave it in the stove top all the time. Great for camping too..

Retired Staff

Yeah it didn't come in time for me to use it but dinner came out great anyway. I had to search for the thread since there's about 15 pages of new spam.

C/S,
    Rev J