• No

60 81.08%
  • Still no

9 12.16%
  • Meh

4 5.41%
  • Yes, I had a great year

1 1.35%
Page 2923 of 3084 FirstFirst ... 1923242328232873291329212922292329242925293329733023 ... LastLast
Results 58,441 to 58,460 of 61662

Thread: Post your random thought.

Retired Staff

In the wise words of the Buddha, "Birth, old age, sickness, and death, these are the things in life that are unavoidable."
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Scrubs Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    In the wise words of the Buddha, "Birth, old age, sickness, and death, these are the things in life that are unavoidable."
    If you die at a young age you kind of dodge the old age bullet.

Retired Staff

Fair enough.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kk360 View Post
    If you die at a young age you kind of dodge the old age bullet.

In "life? they are unavoidable. In DEATH most unpleasant things are avoided. but so are all the good things we live for..

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    In "life? they are unavoidable. In DEATH most unpleasant things are avoided. but so are all the good things we live for..

I especially love this since Bill Murray is a golfing Buddhist.

A part of the whole "Death Rebirth" thing is about experiencing everything both the positive and negative to give greater compassion.

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

Greetings from Palm Springs, California. My home for the next two weeks.

Global Moderator

Good time to be out NC! haha this storm isn't looking too good for us! We have a good chance of being hammered, especially where my parents live!

Gravity Slave Moderator

I just bought some batteries. We got a small propane powered generator last Spring. I've only started it once to test it. I like storms as long as we don't lose our roof. I prefer winter storms though, fun to get to go play in the snow... and easier to bundle up and keep warm in cold weather than it is to deal with heat and no electricity, no A/C, your food goes bad, etc.. A small generator only does so much, won't run all of our fridges and freezer, won't run the A/C, etc.. and 2 twenty pound propane tanks will only give us about 24 hours of generator fuel.. So we will need to ration and use it sparingly if we really do get slammed.. It can take a week plus to get power back following a REALLY bad storm.

Global Moderator

The newest track has it skimming the whole east coast, which I'd imagine would slow it down but still comes directly over us in VA.

The real bummer is I have front row seats to go see my favorite comedian Saturday night in Norfolk. I've been looking forward to it for months. If you know anything about Norfolk you know it floods when it sprinkles. I have until Friday to get my money back but it's almost certain we won't be able to go. I'm really hoping for a reschedule but it's a tour so that's probably not likely!

Scrubs Nerd

Man, you guys get storms all the time. I've never seen a flooding in my life. Lots of snow in the winter but that's hardly the same.

Global Moderator

My parent's house (that i recently moved out of after living there for 20 years) gets terrible flooding. The worst we got was Hurricane Isabel in 2003 which brought in 4.5 foot of water to our front yard, even deeper down the road. They're saying this one could be worse but the latest tracks are suggesting it could be about the same or a little under.

I live in a 3rd flood apartment now outside of a flood zone! I'm done with frequent flooding haha

EDIT:

As of this morning, it looks like the storm has made major changes and won't be having any major effects here and has slowed down significantly so I"ll still be able to make my plans on Saturday!!
    Last edited by ben_larsen; 10-05-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Lots of rain here yesterday. Small leak in roof wrecked the kitchen ceiling. Major dam failures causing flooding in low lying areas. We're good at my house other than ceiling problem. I think I found the leak and sealed it. Worst part here is no internet. Lots of other parts of town with no power due to downed trees. All of this, flooding, dam failures,.etc.directly caused by dilapidated infrastructure thanks to tax cuts for the wealthy filthy rich folks that own the government. Trickle down is total bs. Don't let Trump or the gullible folks still believing him tell you otherwise.

Retired Staff

Yeah, I feel like I've been trickled down upon!

Your weather sounds shitty right now.

I'm going to gloat/bitch a little about the weather out here right now. It's sunny and pushing 90. I hate it when it gets this hot.

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

It ended up being much worse up in VA than anyone expected. The show I was going to in Norfolk was cancelled, which was good because Norfolk turned into a huge river. We got lots of wind and rain, ended up losing power for most of Saturday night and all of Sunday morning. Lots of people in the area got flooded and had wind damage (my parents lost their siding on one side of the house), some guy nearby drowned in his own yard while looking at the damage to his house.

Could've been a lot worse but most people weren't expecting this bad of a storm!

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kk360 View Post
    Man, you guys get storms all the time. I've never seen a flooding in my life. Lots of snow in the winter but that's hardly the same.
    Yeah, does severe weather happen where you are period? I know tornadoes and shit don't happen that far north, but do you even just get like bad thunderstorms? haha.

PS Tornadoes are terrifying. I remember my parents teaching me how to identify in the sky what might turn into a tornado when i was like, 3 years old. We had regular tornado-warning drills in school and shit....I remember fleeing my house when i was like 12 because one was coming like right for us haha. Lots of people think tornadoes don't happen in mountainous areas, but they definitely do. One that landed close by my house left this big pathway through the forest, like 40 feet wide of a stretch that went a kilometer or so where there just weren't trees anymore, it was actually kinda cool cause you could follow it's track haha.

Hurricanes can be really scary too. My area has gotten pretty fucked up by those before, especially in 2005. Like right around the time i joined this site we had gotten so fucked like multiple times in a row. NoSwitch is two hours east of me but he might be able to provide more insight since I was still really young, but if I remember right 2005 was the most active atlantic storm season on record. I remember it being like the storms just wouldn't fucking stop, seemed like there was a new one every week

Yeah, I feel like I've been trickled down upon!

Your weather sounds shitty right now.

I'm going to gloat/bitch a little about the weather out here right now. It's sunny and pushing 90. I hate it when it gets this hot.
    It was 99 down here in Indio yesterday. It gets super nice at night, like 65, but the day time is still really hot.

Scrubs Nerd

We get thunderstorms during the summer, mostly at night. Nothing all that intense most of the time though.

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

We get some bad floods every year or two in Toronto, mostly due to poor drainage in low elevations near the shores, but for the record rainfall usually exceeds 100-120mm in order for that to happen. Two summers ago I nearly got picked up by a water tornado and a tree fell and almost hit me because I was trying to capture everything on film lol. We had some hot weather up until last week, and last night I'm pretty sure we got our first frost or got really close, it was like 1 degree C at night but in the morning I didn't see frost. It's supposed to heat up again so that's good. I got pretty tired of summer and we finally hit the sweet spot where days tend to never rise above 20 degrees celsius.

Gravity Slave Moderator

It's actually getting worse 80 miles downstream of here. Several dams and levies failed and flooded entire towns farther south and east of here. I-95's closed because part of it is under 8 feet of water, the new lake created when the dams and levies for the existing lake broke apart under the pressure. It's like post Katrina 9th Ward with people on their roofs waiting to be rescued or having to swim for it when the roof also goes under. They are expecting the water to keep rising and peak around 8am tomorrow.

Global Moderator

Well, glad I escaped NC just in time to have this as my front yard view hahaha

Global Moderator

Here what it looked like in Norfolk Sunday, first picture is after they started pumping the water out, second & third picture was at it's peak!