• Still no

9 7.26%
  • Really, not new here

4 3.23%
  • Yes, I am new here!

29 23.39%
  • Zombie from long ago

23 18.55%
Page 2950 of 3031 FirstFirst ... 195024502850290029402948294929502951295229603000 ... LastLast
Results 58,981 to 59,000 of 60606

Thread: Post your random thought.

Retired Staff

This is kind of funny and creepy to me at the same time:

https://lesbianswholooklikejustinbieber.tumblr.com/
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Global Moderator

Just got back from camping near Mount Mitchell for the weekend. Eerie falling asleep to the sound of coyotes howling and yapping all around the campsite haha. Coyotes are a damn nuisance where I live, but i can just go inside and not hear them anymore when i'm at home hahaha

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    Just got back from camping near Mount Mitchell for the weekend. Eerie falling asleep to the sound of coyotes howling and yapping all around the campsite haha. Coyotes are a damn nuisance where I live, but i can just go inside and not hear them anymore when i'm at home hahaha
    Attachment 6790
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

So, I got into longboarding and skateboarding 10 years ago...in 2007. I soaked up information like a sponge, and learned the intricacies of setting up a board, including the difference that various components can (or cannot, in some cases) make on the ride of the board. I helped my friends out, even those who skated street...upon doing a relatively simple bushing swap for one guy, he promptly did a legit quarter-mile manual. Nuttiest thing I've ever seen.

Between 2009 and 2012, longboarding EXPLODED. There were dozens of new brands, making tons of new products, and drawing thousands more people into the sport. Since this whole thing happened largely online, through forums, Facebook, and Reddit, that allowed little localized pockets of skaters to collaborate and join together online. As a result of all these new products and skaters, terminology changed. Things that had been standard nomenclature in skateboarding for 40 years was suddenly turned on its head. Terms like "wheelbase" became "truckbase," "standard" and "cantilever" trucks became TKP and RKP. During this time, for various reasons, I fell out of the social media scene, so even though I was actively skating for those 3 years, I was out of the loop.

Anyway, I got back into the online thing somewhere between 13 and 14, just in time to see the longboard market (overrun by Penny boards and scooters) collapse. Now, what I'm getting at here is just how lost I still feel. When I was getting into longboarding the first time, I spent hours every night bombing hills and cruising parking lots with pockets full of gear, swapping every bit of my board in and out, and gaining a very practical, hands-on feel for the difference that each individual component makes. Now, after the world has been turned on its head, I'm being told that what I've learned is now factually incorrect...due to the aforementioned phenomena where thousands of new longboard kids redefined everything.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    I always keep ear plugs in the little pocked of my sleeping bag wrapped up inside the inflatable pillow. I'll take one for the team and sacrifice myself sound asleep while the rest of you are screaming "BEAR!!!!" and running away..

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Now, after the world has been turned on its head, I'm being told that what I've learned is now factually incorrect...due to the aforementioned phenomena where thousands of new longboard kids redefined everything.
    I still don't like to skate popsicle shapes. I only ride old school pigs or cruisers. I have tried several newer shapes but pretty much gave them to my kids. Full disclosure, I don't do ollies or ride switch much so the spoon nose is pretty useless to me. I do like some board past the front bolts for freestyle though.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I still don't like to skate popsicle shapes. I only ride old school pigs or cruisers. I have tried several newer shapes but pretty much gave them to my kids. Full disclosure, I don't do ollies or ride switch much so the spoon nose is pretty useless to me. I do like some board past the front bolts for freestyle though.
    I used to rock a Powell Ray Bones in parks back in the day. The real estate was nice, having nearly 11" of width to play around on, but once I got a little more advanced, I began to see why kick noses became a thing. I completely understand the cool feel of an asymmetric board though...kinda like riding a torpedo or something

Retired Staff

I remember when the Double Vision and the Mike Vallaley Animal Farm decks came out and thinking that they were just gimmicks. The Decomposed I'm skating now is like the best of both worlds. The tail is square like a freestyle deck which is good for truck stands and caspers and the nose is like a popsicle stick. So it has the best parts of both designs.

Also rockstar do you know anything about Surf Rodz trucks?

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I remember when the Double Vision and the Mike Vallaley Animal Farm decks came out and thinking that they were just gimmicks. The Decomposed I'm skating now is like the best of both worlds. The tail is square like a freestyle deck which is good for truck stands and caspers and the nose is like a popsicle stick. So it has the best parts of both designs.

Also rockstar do you know anything about Surf Rodz trucks?
    Not a lot, honestly. I've ridden a few sets, and they didn't feel like anything super special, so I didn't really look any further into them.

Retired Staff

Ah ha! I was just wondering since I saw a pair on eBay for about $65. Granted I am not hell on trucks but I already have my next deck and a couple of sets of wheels. I'm skating Aces now but don't love or hate them.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Ah ha! I was just wondering since I saw a pair on eBay for about $65. Granted I am not hell on trucks but I already have my next deck and a couple of sets of wheels. I'm skating Aces now but don't love or hate them.
    SZ was actually one of the brands I had in mind when I was talking about the gearsplosion of '09 to '12. Due to the Recession, a TON of machine shops sat idle...coinciding with the meteoric rise of longboarding, many machine shops changed gears and began making longboard trucks. Now, before '09, precision/CNC trucks were specialized equipment, designed for hardcore downhill racers looking for a specific "feel" from their gear...during the aforementioned Gearsplosion, most of the "casual" precision trucks were simple Randal clones; in that, I'm also including the likes of Gullwing, Paris, Gunmetal, Buck, and all the other derivative designs that still hold fast to Randal's design from the early 80's (Bear Grizzlies and Smokies are the exception, since they've got their own geometry).

Retired Staff

SZ was actually one of the brands I had in mind when I was talking about the gearsplosion of '09 to '12. Due to the Recession, a TON of machine shops sat idle...coinciding with the meteoric rise of longboarding, many machine shops changed gears and began making longboard trucks. Now, before '09, precision/CNC trucks were specialized equipment, designed for hardcore downhill racers looking for a specific "feel" from their gear...during the aforementioned Gearsplosion, most of the "casual" precision trucks were simple Randal clones; in that, I'm also including the likes of Gullwing, Paris, Gunmetal, Buck, and all the other derivative designs that still hold fast to Randal's design from the early 80's (Bear Grizzlies and Smokies are the exception, since they've got their own geometry).
    It's interesting though because there seems to be a great kinship between the longboarding and freestyle communities. I think it is because both exist outside the mainstream within the skateboarding community. A lot of freestylers use cruiser trucks probably because of size, they also usually use faster bearings since a lot of the time you are using the momentum from your last trick to go into your next one. Plus it can be harder on gear especially like kingpins, bearings, and mounting hardware since you aren't ollying into your flip tricks which puts more pressure on kingpins, doing Primos puts more lateral pressure on your bearings, and pogos put more pressure on mounting hardware.

It seems like downhill and racing set ups also have a lot of peculiarities regarding set up and component qualities since you don't want your shit falling apart when you are going 40 mph down a hill.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I'd think bashing rails and dropping 12 sets would be harder on trucks, axles, hardware, kingpins, decks, arches, ankles, knees, skulls, etc than flat ground tricks. The intricate longboard set ups are to improve stability at speed and for turn shapes to differentiate slalom from speed from freestyle slides. Durability is a given there due to the cost for failure being death. Certainly plenty of fall and die zones for serious downhillers.

Retired Staff

The wear is different. If you watch a lot of freestyle videos they look like their boards are going to snap doing pogos. Doing rail spins, Casper disasters, primo slides etc wear down the edges, rockers, wheels, bearings, axles etc since you are putting weight on those parts in ways that they weren't designed to take. Riding tight trucks doing old school kick flips, caspers, kick backs, etc put a lot more side to side pressure on kingpins than standard flat ground tricks. Plus standing on your trucks while bouncing your whole body weight on them is going to put a lot of stress on hangars, base plates, yoke holes, mounting hardware, not to mention delaminating the tail, and reaming out and pressure cracking around the mounting holes.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I'd think bashing rails and dropping 12 sets would be harder on trucks, axles, hardware, kingpins, decks, arches, ankles, knees, skulls, etc than flat ground tricks. The intricate longboard set ups are to improve stability at speed and for turn shapes to differentiate slalom from speed from freestyle slides. Durability is a given there due to the cost for failure being death. Certainly plenty of fall and die zones for serious downhillers.
    And that's why it makes no sense for a street skater to buy trucks worth $100 or more, or a fancy $80 Fiberlam deck, or $120 Swiss Ceramic Uberbearings...he's just going to bend them or grind them to stumps.

Retired Staff

I just got to skate my new shoes. My first impression is that since nearly everything on them is about 3 layers thick it is going to take a little break in time. Any of the bulky ness is almost offset by the light weight. To test the padding a little I worked on learning caspers again which I had laid off from as they were beating the hell out of my insteps. Not in these. Working on some footwork tricks where you need the right slip to grip balance too much slip you're falling on your ass too much grip you don't get good rotation and positioning is a pain in the ass. These felt great in that area too. For some reason they also felt more sure footed than the Haslams I was skating.

My only complaint so far is that there is a rubber quarter toe cap that started to come unglued at one of my high flex points. I don't know if I will shoe goo this or not but given the price point I'd expect better.

C/S,
    Rev J

God

I wonder what pathteks upto these days

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Global Moderator

And that's why it makes no sense for a street skater to buy trucks worth $100 or more, or a fancy $80 Fiberlam deck, or $120 Swiss Ceramic Uberbearings...he's just going to bend them or grind them to stumps.
    My $80 thunder titaniums 150% last longer than my old trucks used to and I can barely skate my friends boards bc they're so heavy to me now. I don't skate as heavy as I used to but I was started skating titaniums when I was still warming up on handrails. (Tore my ACL a few years ago and now i'm scared of shit LOL)

Retired Staff

It's funny the deck I'm riding now and the one that I have in waiting I got for $16 a piece on eBay plus shipping. On the company website they are $50 plus shipping. The thing about riding small/light boards is in a lot of ways it is harder since it takes less strength to do stuff so you really have to fight the urge to trow all of your strength into your moves and lose control. That was the main adjustment for me going from a 7.75" to a 7.12" board. The plan is to ride the 7.12" into the ground and bounce up to a 7.25" ride that into the ground, bounce up to a 7.3" etc.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

I've been awake for 8 hours and at work for 6 of them.

Besides the holiday, Monday and Tuesday are my days off.