• No

59 80.82%
  • Still no

9 12.33%
  • Meh

4 5.48%
  • Yes, I had a great year

1 1.37%
Page 2958 of 3068 FirstFirst ... 1958245828582908294829562957295829592960296830083058 ... LastLast
Results 59,141 to 59,160 of 61352

Thread: Post your random thought.

Retired Staff

I know you are trolling and I shouldn't respond. But saying Tony Hawk blew up in the late 90s is like saying Queen blew up in 1991. God this shit is getting old. You are like the funny kid in special ed class making the other slow kids laugh. Just go back to the kids table.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I know you are trolling and I shouldn't respond. But saying Tony Hawk blew up in the late 90s is like saying Queen blew up in 1991. God this shit is getting old. You are like the funny kid in special ed class making the other slow kids laugh. Just go back to the kids table.
    Well ya he was killing contests and shit in the 80's and early 90's, but he made his fortune and mainstream fame during the era I mentioned. I'm talking about the X-games, 900, video games series, etc. I probably would have never started skateboarding if it wasn't for all the buzz and attention he garnered during that time. I reread his articles in Sports Illustrated over and over and over. Before than, skateboarding was not a popular thing outside of the west coast and was completely off of most people's radar. I would not have gotten nearly the exposure to skateboarding I did if it weren't for his mainstream success.

I was simply comparing the exposure we had gotten before we started skateboarding.

Retired Staff

And I was in as far as you can get from the west coast and stay in the US in the middle of Bumfuck Egypt where the only connection to "Skate Culture" we had was Thrasher, Transworld, VHS, and whatever little coverage was on MTV etc. Every other month there was pics of him skating this half pipe/bowl monstrosity he had in his back yard. The infamous Hosoi/Hawk rivalry. Hawks speaking part in "Gleaming the Cube". Peralta was pimping him out pretty hard. Granted after vert skating took a pretty big shit on itself and Hawk was doing free demos at Knotts Berry Farm and living in one of his own rental properties he was given an offer he couldn't refuse went back to hawking Mountain Dew (I'm pretty sure he was in this commercial):

video games and Doritos. The dude was almost always huge and one of the best known and top paid pros. He always had a huge PR team behind him.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Banned

And that's why I meant he didn't blow up till about 2000. He wasn't a household name until that point.

Veteran Member

hi

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Yep, the stuff I like to collect is the stuff that Z-Boys and other pro skaters were using when I was in 6th-9th grade late 70s. Some of it I had, but stuff I didn't have at that time but wanted has peen procured, and most of it fairly recently. Also like the mid 80s stuff, but pretty much stop at 1989 when collecting. Age 10-16 is when I was most active in skateboarding. Also used boards for transportation in college mid 1980s (hence the attraction to that early Bones Brigade era as well) but wasn't skating any vert, just dropping stairs if they were in the way from point A to point B.

Started skating again but just a little bit around 2008. Got a bit more active when the city built a park nearby, went on my lunch break for a few months regularly. Now just bombing hills around the neighborhood mostly and short hits on the mini I built in April.
    Wanna see something trippy?

Retired Staff

Dude! NO DICK PICS!

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Dude! NO DICK PICS!

My bad

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Wanna see something trippy?
    What you got?.. And ya no NSFW stuff..

Skate Pirate

Thanks to this thread, I re-set up that Tom Penny I posted about upthread and began working on some flatground stuff again. It's not a proper freestyle setup, but I've got a few financial priorities before I sink any more money into skateboarding at the moment

Retired Staff

My bad
    I wanted to rep this but couldn't.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Does the Cafe have a mobile app?

Retired Staff

That's a good question. I am looking at the site on my phone.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I think there may have been one before the great hack of 2016. I know that Dog town removed a lot of the bells and whistles we had including the arcade and various enhancements to reduce the places and methods available for hackers to exploit. There may be a basic V-Bulletin mobile plug in which works in this platform and similar ones, but nothing specifically modified for this site alone.

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I think there may have been one before the great hack of 2016. I know that Dog town removed a lot of the bells and whistles we had including the arcade and various enhancements to reduce the places and methods available for hackers to exploit. There may be a basic V-Bulletin mobile plug in which works in this platform and similar ones, but nothing specifically modified for this site alone.
    Oh, I forgot about the arcade and stuff. Was there a chatroom here as well?

Anyway, apart from here and Skullandbones, are there any active flatland/freestyle forums on teh intarwebz?

Retired Staff

I looked into them like the IFSA forum and they have largely been inactive for years.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Is Freestyle confined to Facebook these days? Seems like last time I peeked in on SnB, their freestyle subforum was only slightly more active than the one here.

Anyway, this was in 2015, but I apparently missed it:
    http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/19...sudden-decline
    RIP, Biker.

Retired Staff

Is Freestyle confined to Facebook these days? Seems like last time I peeked in on SnB, their freestyle subforum was only slightly more active than the one here.

Anyway, this was in 2015, but I apparently missed it:
    http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/19...sudden-decline
    RIP, Biker.
    Yeah I did some more research into freestyle skate forums and came across someone selling a complete Moonshine setup on middleageshredding.com (or something like that).

About the long-term effects of multiple concussions I've heard it theorized that some of Duane Peters erratic behavior as of late is partially the result of multiple concussions. I've also read that that and Milo Dementia are often misdiagnosed during life and usually found post mortum. Robin Williams had Milo Dementia and it was misdiagnosed as Parkinson's until his autopsy.

C/S,
    Rev J

God

I looked into them like the IFSA forum and they have largely been inactive for years.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Retired Staff

Todays Yard Sale Deal! I got a Mac Mini for $5. It is a 2009 but I think I can update the OS and use it as the core in my GAF (Ghetto As Fuck) home studio.

C/S,
    Rev J