• Still no

9 7.20%
  • Really, not new here

4 3.20%
  • Yes, I am new here!

29 23.20%
  • Zombie from long ago

24 19.20%
Page 2979 of 3032 FirstFirst ... 197924792879292929692977297829792980298129893029 ... LastLast
Results 59,561 to 59,580 of 60635

Thread: Post your random thought.

Caveman

Mark Zuckerberg initially screwed over his college roommate before FB took off. FB's been talking "privacy" forever but keep stumbling into issues of their own making. I guess that I just don't have a very high opinion of Zuckerberg or his company. I would say that they (FB mgmt) are sleezy but to be fair, technology always outruns laws and rules be it high tech or medicine. Eh, they're sleezy. That said there's plenty of information for managing accounts from dumping your data profile to closing accounts. On top of that there's some new rules and regulations coming out of Europe (General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)) that are coming down the pipe that's raising awareness and impacting US based companies like FB. This is why we're all getting revised privacy policy notifications on our computers and phones.

I think that it's kind of funny that people are getting wound up over privacy now especially after many have spent years on social networks sharing everything about their lives from the food they eat, vacation spots, and their feelings and opinions. By the way, if you are concerned about your privacy, it shouldn't stop on your desktop/laptop. You have to keep your eye on your mobile phones (particularly Android phones) and the apps you run. I'm in the mobile space and you might be surprised all of the data that the OS, various apps, and their advertising partners extract from your phone starting with location information. Connecting a traffic sniffer to test phones was a real eye opener. Where you work, where you shop, and where you sleep can be easily derived, stored, and sold... for your benefit of course. Oh well... /rant

TL; DR

I hope that everybody is doing well and that you're all enjoying the extra hours of daylight in the evenings. Skate on!

GDPR: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/30/gdpr...d-to-know.html

Not just FB: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...ation_privacy/
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 03-31-2018 at 02:01 AM.
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    Mark Zuckerberg initially screwed over his college roommate before FB took off. FB's been talking "privacy" forever but keep stumbling into issues of their own making. I guess that I just don't have a very high opinion of Zuckerberg or his company. I would say that they (FB mgmt) are sleezy but to be fair, technology always outruns laws and rules be it high tech or medicine. Eh, they're sleezy. That said there's plenty of information for managing accounts from dumping your data profile to closing accounts. On top of that there's some new rules and regulations coming out of Europe (General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)) that are coming down the pipe that's raising awareness and impacting US based companies like FB. This is why we're all getting revised privacy policy notifications on our computers and phones.

I think that it's kind of funny that people are getting wound up over privacy now especially after many have spent years on social networks sharing everything about their lives from the food they eat, vacation spots, and their feelings and opinions. By the way, if you are concerned about your privacy, it shouldn't stop on your desktop/laptop. You have to keep your eye on your mobile phones (particularly Android phones) and the apps you run. I'm in the mobile space and you might be surprised all of the data that the OS, various apps, and their advertising partners extract from your phone starting with location information. Connecting a traffic sniffer to test phones was a real eye opener. Where you work, where you shop, and where you sleep can be easily derived, stored, and sold... for your benefit of course. Oh well... /rant

TL; DR

I hope that everybody is doing well and that you're all enjoying the extra hours of daylight in the evenings. Skate on!

GDPR: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/30/gdpr...d-to-know.html

Not just FB: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...ation_privacy/

The thing is that no matter what Zuckerberg says to the public Facebook has always been about target marketing. We shouldn't be surprised that he has been selling personal info to anyone trying to sway personal opinion. As a matter of fact I will probably have a Facebook account when I start producing music explicitly for the purpose of promoting it.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

It's the cost of free cloud server space for all our photos and videos along with the ability to network with all our relatives and life long friends all over the world. Goggle Plus and others are waiting for the Facebook cycle to go MySpace. The genie is out of the bottle with regard to privacy. Good luck going off the grid. Cash and being able to drive your own car on public roads will be the next things to go away in the name of progress i.e. control of the masses..

Caveman

Yeah, I get the "grand bargain" we all make with FB, Amazon, Apple, Google etc. In my mind, the good news is that there's a growing awareness among the general population of what's happening and there's some changes coming down the pipe driven by the European Union. My friend was tellling me about a 52 page privacy policy from some company... I think that it was Starbucks. I thought that was hilarious. I mean who is going to read something like that? Lol...
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    Yeah, I get the "grand bargain" we all make with FB, Amazon, Apple, Google etc. In my mind, the good news is that there's a growing awareness among the general population of what's happening and there's some changes coming down the pipe driven by the European Union. My friend was tellling me about a 52 page privacy policy from some company... I think that it was Starbucks. I thought that was hilarious. I mean who is going to read something like that? Lol...
    That's exactly how they get you. I tend to stick with products that "only" have 7 pages or so (surprisingly, Google has a succinct user agreement), since that's really all you need to relay to the end-user how their data will be used. Facebook and crew have so many sections and subsections, that the only purpose is to obfuscate their true intent and to confuse their users into compliance.

I do like the section of the Apple TOS where it talks about not using their hardware or software to create or deploy nuclear weapons or IED's. It gives me a slight amount of hope that if our President launches a nuclear attack using the Twitter app on his iPhone, that he'll be in direct breach of the TOS and will have his Apple account suspended

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

I've been really into Huey Lewis and the News lately. Good stuff. The girl I'm seeing does not enjoy it.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Skate Pirate

I genuinely don't give a shit about 75% of the people on my Snapchat and Instagram accounts. It's weird as fuck seeing Snapchat stories of a 35 year old guy palling around with 18-year-olds, or goin' muddin' with his 22 year old girlfriend. There are very few infants that I give a crap about. And furthermore, that basic white girl filter where it makes your eyes and mouth HUGE and makes your voice squeaky is cringey AF, and should only be used by quirky junior high theatre girls, not grown ass women.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    I've been really into Huey Lewis and the News lately. Good stuff. The girl I'm seeing does not enjoy it.
    I'd go see them for free. So did Ray Parker Jr?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...-1984-20160608

Retired Staff

First off Happy Easter all!

"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    I have 2 responses to this.

I couldn't find any videos of the Huey Lewis jokes in "The Electric Apricot and the Quest for Festaroo" but it's a running gag.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

I'm going back in and out in a bit and get back with me and my family and friends are going well with the family.

Skate Pirate

I will be there at the same time I was there was a lot of fun and I will be there at the same.

God

^ Are you having a stroke? I have no idea what your trying to say in your last two posts

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Retired Staff

^ It's kind of like that guy who is so drunk/high that he only makes sense to himself.

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    ^ Are you having a stroke? I have no idea what your trying to say in your last two posts
    I was messing with the autocorrect on my phone

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    I was messing with the autocorrect on my phone
    Looks more like it was messing with you..

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

So, I didn't get high for the first time until I was 28 years old. How's about that? I'm so sheltered. Also, this girl that works at the gas station/sandwich place by my house is so good looking. I keep trying to read her name tag, but I'm blind...
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Gravity Slave Moderator

So, watched a fair bit of The Master's golf final round today and now watching WrestleMania live on WWE Network. Only thing they really have in common is both go great with pizza and wings..

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    So, watched a fair bit of The Master's golf final round today and now watching WrestleMania live on WWE Network. Only thing they really have in common is both go great with pizza and wings..
    Everything goes great with pizza and wings.

God

Pizza and wings are life. TGI i think its your destiny to bang the gas station girl

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up