• No

60 81.08%
  • Still no

9 12.16%
  • Meh

4 5.41%
  • Yes, I had a great year

1 1.35%
Page 2988 of 3094 FirstFirst ... 1988248828882938297829862987298829892990299830383088 ... LastLast
Results 59,741 to 59,760 of 61861

Thread: Post your random thought.

Sail Hatan.

Malcolm is dead you goon.

Angus is the heart of the band. Brian hasn't even been singing with them. It's been Axl rose. And it's actually not bad. At least get the info right if you're gonna trash em.

Scrubs Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty's_Kid View Post
    Locked in another summer tour and potentially one in the fall. Sick! Stoked for more Canada time this year since i'll only be there for two days in june. Wish Nick didn't live so fuckin far up north in Quebec so we could finally hang haha
    I'll be staying pretty static this summer, I'm finishing up my first year at a trade school studying welding in three weeks. I've already got a summer job as a welder set up. Future's looking pretty bright for me at this point. Brightest it's ever been I believe. I just might go see Uncle Neil in Quebec City if I'm going anywhere.

Also, I thought you played music Demon? I might have you confused with anonymous man though. What a swell boy he was.

Sail Hatan.

Quote Originally Posted by kk360 View Post
    I'll be staying pretty static this summer, I'm finishing up my first year at a trade school studying welding in three weeks. I've already got a summer job as a welder set up. Future's looking pretty bright for me at this point. Brightest it's ever been I believe. I just might go see Uncle Neil in Quebec City if I'm going anywhere.

Also, I thought you played music Demon? I might have you confused with anonymous man though. What a swell boy he was.
    I played the smallest bit of guitar in high school. But naw, i've never really connected with instruments.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Malcolm is dead you goon.

Angus is the heart of the band. Brian hasn't even been singing with them. It's been Axl rose. And it's actually not bad. At least get the info right if you're gonna trash em.
    I'm sorry I missed the press release on Malcolm. I know Axl has been singing with them but the rest of what I mentioned is dead on. Phil Rudd was busted trying to put a hit out on his wife and was in possession of weed and meth at the time. And Cliff Williams announced he was bailing a few months ago. Just a I think Axl should've hung up the name Guns N Roses after the other 3 guys split.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

We're in the middle of our city's Tulip Festival this week, and being that I work in a hotel smack dab in the middle of downtown, we're inundated with tourists. I've been in the parking lot, monitoring traffic and making sure that our guests have enough parking spaces all week, and I noticed something a little odd: 100% of people on longboards or Penny boards push mongo!

Sail Hatan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I'm sorry I missed the press release on Malcolm. I know Axl has been singing with them but the rest of what I mentioned is dead on. Phil Rudd was busted trying to put a hit out on his wife and was in possession of weed and meth at the time. And Cliff Williams announced he was bailing a few months ago. Just a I think Axl should've hung up the name Guns N Roses after the other 3 guys split.
    GNR was a 5 piece, not a 4. And 3 out of 5 are now back in the band, and i think a 4th makes guest appearances, and likely working on an album. So i'd say they should probably keep that going.

Bands arent dead just because shit happens. The Stones are in their 70s and still touring. I saw Paul McCartney about 2 years back, and he absolutely killed it.

Retired Staff

Yes G N R was a 5 piece. Steven Adler was fired and the other 3 left. Personally I think "Appetite for Destruction" was a masterpiece for the genre and the Use your Delusion (it's a joke I know the real title) albums were overproduced overrated pieces of crap. I was thinking about the line up that he put together after that with Tommy Stinson and Buckethead. Personally I love Buckethead and think the acoustic album he did with Johnas Hellborg are great but he seems like a crappy fit for G N R.

I've never been a Mc Cartney fan and think that the 2 most talented Beatles are the ones who are dead. The Rolling Stones have devolved into self parody. I personally think the Who lost one wing when Keith Moon died and the other when Entwistle died. Townsend and Daltry are powerhouses on their own but without that rhythm section it is seriously lacking.

Now if Eddie Van Halen came out with an album as Van Halen without Sammy Hagar (or David Lee Roth), Michael Anthony (I'm not a big fan of his bass playing but his vocal harmonies are a big part of that sound), and Alex and still called it Van Halen I'd be of the same opinion as AC/DC continuing with only one original member. I think the Who should've packed it in after fulfilling their contractual obligations of that tour, and while it would be great to see AC/DC live as from what I've seen they put on a great show to me it isn't AC/DC without the rest of the guys. The Rolling Stones would be great to see from the perspective that they still put on a great show and I still think Keith Richards is one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet but to me but it kind of lacks something now.

As you can tell I'm kind of opinionated about this shit.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Yes G N R was a 5 piece. Steven Adler was fired and the other 3 left. Personally I think "Appetite for Destruction" was a masterpiece for the genre and the Use your Delusion (it's a joke I know the real title) albums were overproduced overrated pieces of crap. I was thinking about the line up that he put together after that with Tommy Stinson and Buckethead. Personally I love Buckethead and think the acoustic album he did with Johnas Hellborg are great but he seems like a crappy fit for G N R.

I've never been a Mc Cartney fan and think that the 2 most talented Beatles are the ones who are dead. The Rolling Stones have devolved into self parody. I personally think the Who lost one wing when Keith Moon died and the other when Entwistle died. Townsend and Daltry are powerhouses on their own but without that rhythm section it is seriously lacking.

Now if Eddie Van Halen came out with an album as Van Halen without Sammy Hagar (or David Lee Roth), Michael Anthony (I'm not a big fan of his bass playing but his vocal harmonies are a big part of that sound), and Alex and still called it Van Halen I'd be of the same opinion as AC/DC continuing with only one original member. I think the Who should've packed it in after fulfilling their contractual obligations of that tour, and while it would be great to see AC/DC live as from what I've seen they put on a great show to me it isn't AC/DC without the rest of the guys. The Rolling Stones would be great to see from the perspective that they still put on a great show and I still think Keith Richards is one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet but to me but it kind of lacks something now.

As you can tell I'm kind of opinionated about this shit.
    Is Van Halen classic rock?

Retired Staff

Given that their first album came out in '78 and they formed in '72 I'd call them classic rock now.

C/S,
    Rev J

Sail Hatan.

Man im done talking about classic rock here. Too many edgy Rev J opinions.

Banned

he's out of his zen.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kk360 View Post
    I don't know what our routing is for my fall tour at the moment, but this one i'm about to leave for only goes to Toronto gonna try and make andy come hang out with me though.

I'll of course give you a heads up if I end up back in Quebec city again. been about 3 years since i've been there, but the tour i might be doing in the fall is pretty huge so we might be hitting up there

Also very stoked to hear you're doing well and feeling optimistic.

Skate Pirate

Given that their first album came out in '78 and they formed in '72 I'd call them classic rock now.
    So, in your opinion, what defines "classic rock?"

This is a favorite debate between me and my wife
    The local classic rock station (the OG one, that stopped playing new music in 1978 and has had the same 12 records on constant loop since then) seems to have a threshold of 20 years...as in, they're now playing a ton of music from Green Day, Three Doors Down, and The Foo Fighters. They're also the first station I've heard play Greta Van Fleet.

My opinion is that the Classic Rock era is, simply put, British Invasion through Hair Metal...as grunge slivered off in the waning days of Hair, that vine brought us the post-grunge, alt-rock, and pop-punk scenes of the 1990's and early 00's, and eventually the emo and indie kid scene of the mid 00's onward. For instance, Nirvana's Bleach is, according to my definition, "new rock," despite being released in 1989, while GnR's Use Your Illusion is still classic rock, even though it was released later in 1991.

I don't like the way that the radio station has the arbitrary 20-year cutoff point because that leads to a lot of disjointed playlists...even though they've got a lot of leeway from Cumulus Media to play their own stuff, it's distracting to hear (take it back to a previous post) the Beatles singing Strawberry Fields Forever, followed by Hendrix playing All Along The Watchtower, then have the set punctuated by Green Day's Basketcase. Same goes for a playlist of Boston, Rush, Styx...and then Nirvana's In Bloom. It completely destroys the flow! Having said that though, this particular classic rock station is a mainstay on my radio presets, right between NPR and my favorite sports talk station.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Well, when I was in my 20s, 1980s, "classic rock" was 60s and some very early 70s. When I was in my 30s, 1990s, "classic rock" was typically referring to anything pre 80s. In the 00s hair metal from the 80s was brought in to the definition most use. Sad, but in a few years Y2K stuff will probably be referred to as "classic". Having kids who roll their eyes at stuff that seems very recent to me but was released when they were in kindergarten puts things in a more objective perspective.

God

Van halen did put out an album without Sammy or David in 1998 haha with Gary cherone fronting. I liked the song Without you but yeah to me it wasnt the same....

Guns n roses are still killing it, Saw them last year with slash and duff back, they were amazing, played one of the longest sets ive witnessed and sounded great. Huge fan of Steven adler but understand why they didnt bring him back permantley

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Gravity Slave Moderator

I also like some of that ChickenFoot project with Sammy Haggar, Michael Anthiny, and Chad Smith (RHCP) on drums.

I think as much as it pains me and makes my age a relevant, determining factor.. It's probably up to the next generation (our kids) to let us know when our particular era and style of music has passed from current to "classic", or even worse... "oldies". Pretty sure my kids look at the 60s and even some 70s music like I look at the 40s big band stuff LOL..

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Well, when I was in my 20s, 1980s, "classic rock" was 60s and some very early 70s. When I was in my 30s, 1990s, "classic rock" was typically referring to anything pre 80s. In the 00s hair metal from the 80s was brought in to the definition most use. Sad, but in a few years Y2K stuff will probably be referred to as "classic". Having kids who roll their eyes at stuff that seems very recent to me but was released when they were in kindergarten puts things in a more objective perspective.
    I get what you're saying, but regardless of age, it all sounds different. Sure, Elvis, the Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Def Leppard, Nirvana, and Modest Mouse are all rock music, but they're so vastly different from one another. I guess my idea of classic rock is more about the sound and feel of the music, moreso than a specific date or time frame. Metallica is one of my favorite examples...Ride The Lightning is classic rock, The Black Album isn't. It's a great album, and "classic" in that it's arguably their most iconic album, but it denotes a definite sonic change in the band; notably James learning to sing and growl.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Man im done talking about classic rock here. Too many edgy Rev J opinions.
    Se what happens when you call names. At least I stopped before I got to Metallica.

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    So, in your opinion, what defines "classic rock?"

This is a favorite debate between me and my wife
    The local classic rock station (the OG one, that stopped playing new music in 1978 and has had the same 12 records on constant loop since then) seems to have a threshold of 20 years...as in, they're now playing a ton of music from Green Day, Three Doors Down, and The Foo Fighters. They're also the first station I've heard play Greta Van Fleet.

My opinion is that the Classic Rock era is, simply put, British Invasion through Hair Metal...as grunge slivered off in the waning days of Hair, that vine brought us the post-grunge, alt-rock, and pop-punk scenes of the 1990's and early 00's, and eventually the emo and indie kid scene of the mid 00's onward. For instance, Nirvana's Bleach is, according to my definition, "new rock," despite being released in 1989, while GnR's Use Your Illusion is still classic rock, even though it was released later in 1991.

I don't like the way that the radio station has the arbitrary 20-year cutoff point because that leads to a lot of disjointed playlists...even though they've got a lot of leeway from Cumulus Media to play their own stuff, it's distracting to hear (take it back to a previous post) the Beatles singing Strawberry Fields Forever, followed by Hendrix playing All Along The Watchtower, then have the set punctuated by Green Day's Basketcase. Same goes for a playlist of Boston, Rush, Styx...and then Nirvana's In Bloom. It completely destroys the flow! Having said that though, this particular classic rock station is a mainstay on my radio presets, right between NPR and my favorite sports talk station.
    I have a hard time calling Green Day classic rock or anything really related to punk to me if anything they were just a power pop band. I think Nirvana were vastly overrated. After having 16 year old hype junkies repeatedly tell me how they changed everything giving me what I call a "Fan Based Narrative" meaning that the info they are basing their opinion on are based on articles in Rolling Stone that generally assume that you are a fan, If you look at it objectively nothing has really changed. The big selling music at the time was shit like Madonna, Mariah Carrey, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul etc. The modern equivalent, is Demi Lovato ,and a bunch of others who's names escape me at this moment. Then you had New Kids On The Block, which in their own way was a rehash of The Jackson 5, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers. Now we have Boy Bands. The music industry structure hasn't changed much and the ways that it has changed have had nothing to do with Nirvana. Then there is the "Nirvana killed hair metal!" bullshit. If you sit and watch the documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization: The Metal Years" (It's on YouTube) you will see the death gasps of the Sunset Strip Hair Metal Scene and see that it was killed by a combination of Booze, Coke, and Hairspray. Even if Nirvana hadn't existed it would've died and there were/are plenty of bands poised to take their place Alice In Chains, had already dropped their debut, Janes Addiction was going strong RHCP dropped Blood Sugar the same day as Nevermind dropped (Interestingly Duff McKagen freely admits that Rocket Queen was inspired by the Chilis).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    Van halen did put out an album without Sammy or David in 1998 haha with Gary cherone fronting. I liked the song Without you but yeah to me it wasnt the same....

Guns n roses are still killing it, Saw them last year with slash and duff back, they were amazing, played one of the longest sets ive witnessed and sounded great. Huge fan of Steven adler but understand why they didnt bring him back permantley
    I remember when that came out and it was a double album. I was working in a record store. My favorite band was King Crimson.

Now imagine if they put out the same album with a different rhythm section too.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Van Halen with Wolfgang is like Cheap Trick with Dax.. Better than a cover tribute band, but still nowhere near the genuine article.

Sail Hatan.

"Demi Lovato and a bunch of others".

Killin me here. Demi was popular with disney channel watching kiddies for about 4 months like a decade ago.