Freestyle gear you have ever had... and what you thought of it
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle gear you have ever had... and what you thought of it

NOT FROM MAINE

Default Freestyle gear you have ever had... and what you thought of it

As the title says, what is all the gear you have ever had?
    I thought this would be a good Idea because instead of people making threds and asking "what's the best board, wheels", ect ect we could see what people have had and ask THEM about it :P
    I have had....

Jester retro deck
    SK8kings 95 wheels
    tracker trucks
    bullet trucks
    heartless bit*h deck
    smallschool deck and skids

My setup I have now, but I'm not skating anymore, the pop is pointing down instead of up.

Decomposed Trickster - Wasn't too fond of it, didn't hold up well at all, and it lost it's shape pretty fast. Didn't like the wood either.
    Bullet Trucks - Amazing, have held up great.
    Witters Ghosts - Same as above

Only things I've had off that list are smallschool deck and skids. The deck is great, has been handling a beating and the skids are still almost as if they were new. I definately suggest getting them.

Off your list I have GK mini trucks, they have an inverted kingpin which is awesome but they have very crappy bushings and no bushings fit them very well at all. And OJII wheels which are great. Lots of offset on those.

Only a circus performer would think that slapping wheels
    on a piece of wood and using it to do tricks is a good idea.

Capitol Mini 4/5
    Decomposed Gunter Deck(the second one with all the faces)3/5
    Small School custom double kick 4/5
    2 Small School custom single kick 4/5, 3/5

Powel Freestyle 4.5/5
    OJII 4/5
    Sk8 Kings Crow Jewels 3/5
    Small School/ Little Wheel 4/5

Decomposed Skid 4/5
    Small School Skid 4/5
    I learned paint by numbers, but knew it wasn't rock n roll.

I dont belive in cops, bosses, or politicians.
    Some call that anarchism.
    I call it having a heart.

outlook x rider - 8/10
    sk8kings primoslide- 6/10
    butterfield decomposed - 9/10
    witter heartless *****- 7/10
    cb2-8/10
    cb1-2/10 "worst shape ive ever felt"
    cb3-7/10
    morris snake-6/10
    cb3-7/10
    smallschool cut single - 9/10
    powell harris- 8/10

sk8kings crown jewels-7/10
    witter ghosts- 7/10
    oj freestyle wheels- 8/10

sk8kings skids - 9/10
    blistard skids - 7/10
    smallschool skids - 10/10
    powell skids - 10/10

tracker darts - 7/10
    uptrucks- 8/10

Decks:
    Eastbilt C. Martin- Good transition deck, has all the components of a freestyle deck but a wider deck, 7.625 so you don't have to buy new trucks if you're going from street to freestyle, good overall shape. Eastbilt wood is good too, not the best in my opinion, but good quality.

Eastbilt Harward- Personally, I didn't like it. A concaved single kick, too short for my liking, the nose I found was too short and I only liked it for nh 50/50 and the tail in comparison was too large and steep making it awkward at first to ride and took a while to get used to.

Chaos Bros. CB2 formica- This I think is my second favorite deck. Bidirectional and a good shape for all types of tricks. The wood CB uses also seems to last longer than Eastbilt's. Only complaints, the formica makes it lighter, which it's supposed to do, but I didn't like it threw off some of my flips for a little while making me over flip them and 360 and 540 shove-its would sometimes go out of control as I was used to putting more spin into them.

Small School Custom Cut Single Kick- Cut to the old Mullen Chess board specs except a little thinner. The board was alright, nothing wrong with the shape really but I retired it early as single kicks aren't really my thing though I did like the mellow tail for 540 shove-its and most rolling tricks, it also was more comfortable in pogo/50/50. The wood, not from Eastbilt as it was a single, was good quality too. Held up nicely maybe even a bit better than Eastbilt's.

Chaos Bros. CB3- My favorite shape so far. I really like this deck, great for all kinds of tricks, a lot of tricks just work nicely on it and I really can't think of a bad thing to say about it.

Trucks:
    Tracker 129mm Darts- It's pretty well known that tracker's kingpin sticks out ridiculously so I won't go into that. These trucks I had a bad experience with, the base plates completely fell apart on me in just a couple of months, during the spring usually I only break trucks in the winter as the cold makes it more prone to that.

Bullets- These trucks are a good quality truck. Cheap price, design is similar to trackers but with a less severe kingpin.

Wheels:
    So far I have only skated Small School wheels so I can't compare the shape to anything but the urethane is good. Has a good grip and rides smoothly.

Skids:
    Eastbilt- A good quality skid, not the best though but it holds up. Only one thing, I'd recommend getting sex bolt hardware from another shop, Eastbilt's come with just a basic screw and nut which stick out farther meaning less skid life.

Fitzall- A round skid, good for street decks or freestyle noses, they were alright but wore kind of fast.

Small School Skids- The new "raven wing" black skid plates. They're supposed to be longer lasting than Jeremy's old ones but I can't compare as I never skated those ones. So far I like these the best, they slide smoothly across the ground and really do wear slowly, right now the ones I'm skating are actually reversible which is a plus as I can just flip them around when they wear down too much one side.

Decks:
    Decomposed-Skeletal Kangaroo-I think this is my favorite shape that I've ridden so far. The tails are a tad short but the dimensions are otherwise awesome. I can do basically whatever I want on it including all kinds of tech tricks. The wood quality and pop are the same for every decomposed deck in my experience, and I can wear them out fast, these decks usually last me a month and a half-ish.

Decomposed-Grenade-It's an ok shape. I personally think it's a little bit awkward, the rails aren't parallel, the tail is too squared off and too big, and the nose is too shallow for my liking.

Decomposed-Tim Morris Lust for Blood-Fantastic deck, I learned a lot of tricks on it, and it was my first single kick, lasted me a lot longer than most decks do.

Small School-Custom Single-I haven't ridden it yet, I had the deck I was riding completely beyond dead before I even ordered this deck, so I set up one (i had 2) of my old canguru decks. I'm still riding the Canguru currently, but this shape looks good...

Eastbilt-Harward-I loathe this deck. Take everything I don't like about the Grenade and exaggerate it 10x. I ordered 2 of them, and ended up riding one for 3 days and then gave it away for next to free.

Sk8kings-Richy Carassco-My first fs deck. I liked it a lot at the time despite the fact that it is huge (as in wide) for freestyle. It would be a really sick shape if they made it narrower.

Wheels:
    Crown Jewels-I think they're ok. They coned up quickly and wear kind of fast. I had two sets...I want to try other wheels but I wouldn't mind skating these again if I had limited options.

OJII's-These are on my current set up. These wheels feel awesome, a tad big, but when they're new they feel like rolling on clouds. However, everyone of the wheels has gotten flatspots big enough to annoy me but small enough to make me not want to waste the wheel b/c they still have a lot of life.

Trucks:
    Uptrucks-Sigh...I wish these were easier to get. I could still be riding mine for another 2-3 months, but I'm saving them for a rainy day. I really like these trucks, Great tightness, and pressure tricks like toeflips, bubbles, bubble flips, and kickbacks all happened so easily. No worries about bushings either...(see below)

Gk minis-I'd advise against them for the simple fact that no bushing I've come across fits them correctly. Otherwise they're fine. The inverted kingpin is good.

Bullets- I like them. I'm pretty neutral on normal trucks, and these work just fine. The axel is a good length for 7.25 decks, b/c I like trucks a bit more on the narrow side.

Skids:

Small School-I'll review these when I get a chance to ride them, They're on my custom (the new black ones) that I haven't ridden.

Blistered Skids-Not too much problem with the skid itself. It wears out perfectly on really smooth surfaces, but starts to get ripped up on any roush cement. My biggest complaint would be the lack of uniformity; the holes are all drilled differently, so they're not interchangeable. So, when they wear out, you have to hope that if you get a new pair online they'll fit or make your own, or that deck is done.

Bearings:
    No reason to review these, but DON"T GET THE SPEED DEMONS 8 BALLS. They break in about ten minutes.
    Last edited by arling777; 07-12-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    techling777
    ...signature courtesy of mirko.

harris powell- first freestyle board. i thought it was the only one sold. hehe
    witter freak5-kinda a weird tail especially after going back to it from the canguru. 3" of kick made for GREAT pogos
    tim morris lust-weird tail. very steep. i liked its shape though
    canguru-my fav! more bi-directionalish shape compared to the last few
    customs- got better as i figured out what worked for me

tracker race tracks-bad choice for the harris but it's all i knew about
    GK minis-bad stock bushings, weak king pin, hard to replace KP
    tracker fulls-not a fan of the kingpin. it ripped my shin guards
    bullets-good
    uptrucks-ripped in 2 months and made the traansition back to normal trucks really hard. GREAT for pogos and such

powell G-bones 65mm- very soft and large but they were all i knew about. good offset-ness
    sk8king jewels 56mm- first batch sucked!!!!! later i skated the 2nd formula and liked them. they aren't very offset though. maybe OJs spoiled me
    witter's ghosts 54mm- hard and awesome for cocos.
    OJIIs 57mm-softer and grippier. they are realllllly offset too which i like

Small School "Goke" deck: 4.5/5 Great deck, but didn't work too well for me.
    Small School custom "Sarge" deck: 5/5 Jeremy is the greatest!

Sk8King Crown Jewels 56mm: 4.5/5 Only offset wheels I've used.

Tracker FullTrack trucks: 3/5 I prefer street trucks.

Small School white skids: 5/5 They last!
    Small School black skids: New, but they seem promising.
    Thomas Kinsfather

[COLOR="Blue"]Freestyle vid: [/COLOR] [url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSVpGVmWtQ[/url]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Photography: [/COLOR] [url]www.genjiart.blogspot.com/[/url]

[b]I skate Smallschool.biz[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    Small School white skids: 5/5 They last!
    They don't last really good to be honest. I need a new pair of them in at least 2 weeks.
    jake maiurro.

My small school skids have always lasted the length of the deck.
    I learned paint by numbers, but knew it wasn't rock n roll.

I dont belive in cops, bosses, or politicians.
    Some call that anarchism.
    I call it having a heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaiurro View Post
    They don't last really good to be honest. I need a new pair of them in at least 2 weeks.
    We might skate way different. My first SS deck (white skids) is now retired and the deck wore much faster than the skids.
    Thomas Kinsfather

[COLOR="Blue"]Freestyle vid: [/COLOR] [url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSVpGVmWtQ[/url]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Photography: [/COLOR] [url]www.genjiart.blogspot.com/[/url]

[b]I skate Smallschool.biz[/b]

Right, you might tail drag before footwork, or do a lot of spacewalks, and he might spend most of his time in rail, casper, and 50/50.
    techling777
    ...signature courtesy of mirko.

All my freeestyle decks setup i have
    My first board ever is a

Lynn Cooper Pro Model (Reverse freestyle)
    Smallschool Wheels
    Tracker truck

Smallschool Deck (One Mario model, with wolf)
    Little Wheels "Wheels"
    Tracker truck

Little Wheels Deck (Again other old mario model with wolf)
    little Wheels wheels
    Tracker Truck

Again a Little wheels deck (same setup)

CB2 deck
    Witter Ghost Wheels
    Tracker Truck

Smallschool Deck (One graphic i choose of very old smallschool decks of tony wisneske)
    Witter Ghost Wheels
    Tracker Truck

CB1 Deck
    Witter Ghost Wheels
    Bullet Truck

Again a CB2 deck
    Witter ghost wheels
    Bullet Truck

and Now a
    CB1 Deck (i love it)
    Witter Ghost wheels
    Bullet truck

and change max 1 month my Cb1 of now, and buy another Cb1 xD

Probably i used 10 to 20 cb2 decks.

CB2 10/10 (one word: perfect, strongest wood and perfect shape for me)
    Cb1 7/10 (too small for me)
    CB3 7.5/10 ( too big for me)
    Lynn Cooper model 8/10 ( great deck, but doesn't hold for long time)

Small school custom decks 7/10 ( back then when i got the decks, wood quality wasn't that good)
    Sk8Kings PRimo deck 1 / 10 (one word : Horrible !)
    A lot of LWS decks 8/10 ( great graphics , and pretty good wood)

Wheels:
    I tried almost all wheels on the market.
    Best : Witter Ghosts

Trucks:
    Uptrucks were great , but brokeafter 7 months. Now i'm happy with my bullets.

SKIDS:

No doubt, Skids from Yoyo are the best on the market.

I figured I'd bump and could it be stickied so it doesn't get lost over time and lose it's initial purpose to help people new to freestyle. This would also allow people to add more stuff on as time goes by.

Keith Renna X-Team Rider: ?/10 i cant really rate this board because it was my first board.

Witter cheng heartless B**** deck: 8/10 really stable in rail and good for railflips but caspers and 50/50 tricks felt strange on it

Guenter mokulys spider demon hybrid deck : 7/10 This board was fairly good i learned how to ollie stairs on it and and do fingerflips it was also very good for caspers but it felt funky in rail

More coming soon

2 Custom Singles from Small School - 4/5
    'Goke' Single from SmallSchool - 4.5/5
    CB2 - 3/5 ( It was a great deck, just not a fan of the double)

Sk8kings Crown Jewels 96a - 3/5
    Small School 98a Wheels - 4/5

Tracker Darts - 3.5, 4/5
    UpTrucks - 5/5 (Ive had them since December, they are still strong and are the perfect tightness for me.)

Small School Skids - 2.5/5 (Old ones, havent ever used the new ones)
    Homemade Skids 4/5 (They wear really slow but take getting used to because they are alot thicker)
    jake maiurro.

Quote Originally Posted by jmaiurro View Post
    Homemade Skids 4/5 (They wear really slow but take getting used to because they are alot thicker)
    what did you use for your skids? cutting boards?

Quote Originally Posted by freestyledog1 View Post
    what did you use for your skids? cutting boards?
    No lol, some sort of plastic my dad has at his work, feels the same as small school's. Just thicker.
    jake maiurro.